Friday, October 16, 2020

Hot 100 Top 40: Week of October 17, 2020 - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS (1)

Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS (1)
So yeah, there's a new #1, but there was a lot of movement other than that too. There was an album bomb from 21 Savage and Metro Boomin with their new album SAVAGE MODE II, so you'll see most of those songs here and a song from 1977 re-entered the Hot 100 at #21... I'll explain what that's about later too. But first, I'm gonna do more reveals for the 2019 Ultimate Rank on Sunday, so if you're not Scott or Tyler, you still need to do the Community Rankings, which you'll find the link for here. Anyways, here's the whopping list of exits for this week.

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (#40) [#40] {1 week}
Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus (#39) [#14] {6 weeks} [x2]
Rags2Riches - Rod Wave/ATR Son Son (#38) [#12] {8 weeks}
Kings & Queens - Ava Max (#37) [#37] {2 weeks}
Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (#36) [#24] {2 weeks}
ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (#35) [#35] {2 weeks}
If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels (#31) [#27] {6 weeks}
Tap In - Saweetie (#30) [#20] {6 weeks}
The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch (#29) [#11] {12 weeks} [x2]
my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (#28) [#28] {1 week}

Last Week's #1: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (1)

#40: Lovin' On You - Luke Combs (-14) [#23] {7 weeks}
#39: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (-6) [#2] {43 weeks}
#38: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen (-4) [#34] {4 weeks}
#37: Fallin' - Why Don't We (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#36: Mood Swings - Pop Smoke/Lil Tjay (-9) [#17] {10 weeks}
#35: Bang! - AJR (-3) [#32] {3 weeks}
#34: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake (-13) [#3] {12 weeks}
#33: Many Men - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#32: Slidin - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#31: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek (-9) [#4] {28 weeks}
#30: Don't Stop - Megan Thee Stallion/Young Thug (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#29: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa (-4) [#13] {28 weeks}
#28: Adore You - Harry Styles (-4) [#6] {43 weeks}
#27: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (-4) [#22] {9 weeks}
#26: Rich N**** S*** - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Young Thug (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#25: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (-24) [1 week at #1] {2 weeks}
#24: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello (-4) [#2] {13 weeks}
#23: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean (-4) [#19] {7 weeks}
#22: Circles - Post Malone (-5) [3 weeks at #1] {58 weeks}
#21: Dreams - Fleetwood Mac (RE-ENTRY) [1 week at #1] {14 weeks}
#20: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (-2) [#18] {6 weeks}
#19: Glock In My Lap - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#18: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#17: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (-1) [#9] {18 weeks}
#16: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne (-3) [#2] {26 weeks}
#15: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby (-) [#6] {14 weeks}
#14: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (-2) [#3] {3 weeks}
#13: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-2) [#9] {22 weeks}
#12: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV (+2) [#12] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#11: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (-2) [1 week at #1] {19 weeks}
#10: Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#9: Runnin - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#8: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth (+2) [#8] {30 weeks} *new peak*
#7: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch (-) [7 weeks at #1] {25 weeks}
#6: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (-) [4 weeks at #1] {41 weeks}
#5: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk (-1) [#2] {8 weeks}
#4: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (+1) [#4] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#3: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (-) [4 weeks at #1] {9 weeks}
#2: Dynamite - BTS (-) [3 weeks at #1] {7 weeks}
#1: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) [Remix] - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS (+7) [1st week at #1] {15 weeks} *new peak*

Last Year's #1: HIGHEST IN THE ROOM - Travis Scott [1/1 week at #1]

So the first song making a surprising debut here at #37 is Fallin' by Why Don't We. This is actually their first entry on the Hot 100, which is great since this is one of my favourite songs from them. (Aside from I Don't Belong In This Club with Macklemore which is just fantastic and hilarious. Check it out.) Anyways, this song literally just sounds really epic... and I use that non-ironically here, yes, I managed to do that. All the guys sound really good here and the instrumentation is really good. The drums at the beginning are a bit much, but other than that, this is a great song.

So my opinion on SAVAGE MODE II? It was alright. Most of the songs were good, but they all kind of sounded the same and nothing was great or stuck out. 21 Savage sounds good in this first song, Many Men and I think Metro Boomin did a decent job with the production. The vocals in the background which is just 21 Savage saying random stuff after every line gets to be a little much and I don't love it that much, but Savage's flow makes up for it. Decent song. It's not that interesting though and I would have put it in pink, except Morgan Freeman is in the outro. And I love me some good old Morgan Freeman. (His voice is so soothing, it's crazy. Okay, I'm done now.)

Slidin is the next song from SAVAGE MODE II and this is pretty bad. It's just kind of all over the place both with 21 Savage's vocals and Metro Boomin's production. I also absolutely hate the chorus. I have no clue why 21 Savage sounds like that, but it's just so annoying. Yeah, this isn't good. But Morgan Freeman again! Dang! I think 21 Savage really likes Morgan Freeman.

So we take a quick break from 21 Savage because Megan Thee Stallion and Young Thug released a song called Don't Stop. It's very bad. Both artists sound fine and everything, that's really not my problem with it, it's the production. It's actually grating. It seriously hurts my ears and I find it really hard to listen to. I literally can't focus on anything else about the song with that in the background.

Young Thug also appears in this next SAVAGE MODE II song, Rich... um... yeah, that's all I'm gonna say. This is good. Savage sounds good and although Metro Boomin's production isn't exactly great, it's still great. This definitely isn't one of Young Thug's best performances though, in fact, it's quite bad. At least it's short. Still a decent song though.

So this next song is from 1977 and you have TikTok to blame for this. It's from one of the greatest albums of all time, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and it hit #1 for a lone week back in 1977, it's Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. The funny thing is though, is that this song doesn't even end up in the 5 oldest songs list lower down because this song only spent 19 weeks on the chart on its first run and only 13 weeks in the Top 40. So this may stick around for a while before going to recurrents as long as it's still a TikTok trend. I'm not really complaining that this is here though, since this is good. I don't love Lindsey Buckingham's voice, but the harmonies are really well-done and the writing and the instrumentation is really good. It's so funny that this is squished in between Circles by Post Malone and One Of Them Girls by Lee Brice. It's such a strange combo.

Anyways, after that break, we're back to SAVAGE MODE II with Glock In My Lap. I actually really like 21 Savage's chorus here and I like the small pause that he does before he says the last word of each line. The production's also pretty good. Overall, this is definitely a good song and probably the best from the album.

Not gonna lie, I definitely expected this next song to debut at #1 this week, but instead, it only debuted at #18. It's Wonder by Shawn Mendes. I've already talked about this quite a bit in the past few weeks, so I don't really feel the need to get to in depth with this. In general, this is a good song. Cinematic, Shawn's voice works pretty well with it. Not his best though.

Drake is featured on this next SAVAGE MODE II song, Mr. Right Now and it debuts at #10. Yeah, this is good. Both 21 Savage and Drake sound pretty good in this and I like their voices together. The production's also good. Yeah. Good song, kind of hope it sticks around for a bit.

The highest debut from SAVAGE MODE II is next, Runnin and this is the second-worst right before Slidin. The chorus is also super annoying and there's this super weird sample that I don't like. Yeah, not good. Not much else to say here.

Um, so our new #1 is a remix of a remix. It's BTS' remix of Jason Derulo's remix of Jawsh 685's Laxed - Siren Beat. Which is to say, in short, Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) [Remix]. Got it? Anyways, this is worse than the original. Whoever's singing in the chorus is slightly off-time which really bothers me and there's this BTS verse that I also don't like. It's still not bad, because it's Savage Love and I still really like that song. Am I glad this got the #1? Definitely. Am I glad it was the BTS remix? Definitely not.

Best Debut: Fallin' - Why Don't We

Biggest DROP!!!: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (-24): Definitely expected this. For it not being one of the best Travis Scott songs anyways, there was no way it was gonna stick around for very long in the top 10.

Biggest Jump: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) [Remix] - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS (+7): I was considering moving my review of this remix down here, but I didn't... so now this is just kind of useless.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#4: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#3: Bang! - AJR
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) [Remix] - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS
#4: Don't Stop - Megan Thee Stallion/Young Thug
#3: Lovin' On You - Luke Combs
#2: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean
#1: Adore You - Harry Styles

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#20: Runnin - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin

2 - Mediocre:
#19: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion
#18: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) [Remix] - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo/BTS

3 - Decent:
#17: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#16: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi

4 - Good:
#15: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#14: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#13: Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake
#12: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby
#11: Glock In My Lap - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin

5 - Great:
#10: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#9: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#8: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#7: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#6: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#5: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice
#4: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

Overall Score: 81/100 = 81%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek & Break My Heart - Dua Lipa {28 weeks}
#4: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth {30 weeks}
#3: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd {41 weeks}
#2: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa & Adore You - Harry Styles {43 weeks}
#1: Circles - Post Malone {58 weeks}

On the Verge
ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (#41) [1; 2nd time]
What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (#44) [1; 2nd time]
Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers (#45) [4]
Kings & Queens - Ava Max (#46) [1; 2nd time]
Outta Time - Bryson Tiller/Drake (#48) [1]
my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (#50) [1; 2nd time]
Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (#51) [1; 2nd time]
ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson (#52) [5]
I Called Mama - Tim McGraw (#53) [3]
I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay (#54) [8]
My Dawg - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (#56) [1]
Brand New Draco - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin (#57) [1]
Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani (#58) [3]
Lovesick Girls - BLACKPINK (#59) [1]
24 - Money Man/Lil Baby (#60) [4]

So a bunch of newer songs on the Top 40 re-entered On the Verge this week, because with On the Verge rules, only newer songs can be On the Verge. Anyways, so the songs are: ily, What You Know Bout Love, Kings & Queens, my ex's best friend and Said Sum. I hope What You Know Bout Love, Kings & Queens and my ex's best friend re-enter, but I hope ily and Said Sum don't.

Our first new On the Verge song this week is Bryson Tiller and Drake's Outta Time. This is a pretty good song. I think the production's a little uninteresting, but I think Bryson Tiller and Drake make up for it. They sound pretty good together. Decent song although a bit uninteresting.

We're just dipping back into SAVAGE MODE II for a couple songs now, starting with My Dawg. This is alright. Not one of the best, the production could be a bit better, but the piano line's good and 21 Savage's flow is fantastic here. He really just runs with the song and kills it other than the chorus, where I find his voice is a little too auto-tuned and slightly annoying. Still good though.

The last song from SAVAGE MODE II is Brand New Draco. This is only decent, not really good. It's kind of uninteresting and there's really no substance whatsoever to this. Yeah, not much else to say here.

BLACKPINK bring another single from their brand new album THE ALBUM this week with Lovesick Girls. Most of BLACKPINK's stuff is kind of weird, but I can't really say that I hate any of it. You guys never really knew, but I really grew into How You Like That after it left the Hot 100 almost two weeks after debuting and Ice Cream's always been good, even if quite weird. I'd say this song kind of falls in between those two. The production's actually just straight-up fantastic here and probably the best in a k-pop that I've heard. They don't sound too good in the chorus, but that's kind of my only problem with it. Good song.

Best Debut: Lovesick Girls - BLACKPINK

On the Verge Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#15: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo
#14: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee

2 - Mediocre:
#13: I Called Mama - Tim McGraw

3 - Decent:
#12: Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers
#11: Brand New Draco - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin
#10: 24 - Money Man/Lil Baby

4 - Good:
#9: Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani
#8: My Dawg - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin
#7: Outta Time - Bryson Tiller/Drake
#6: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#5: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#4: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke

5 - Great:
#3: Lovesick Girls - BLACKPINK
#2: ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson
#1: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear

Overall Score: 52/75 = 69%

Baby, Just Keep Blurbin'

We also lost some Top 40 songs that didn't re-enter On the Verge, Midnight Sky, Rags2Riches, If the World Was Ending, Tap In and The Woo. The only one that I'm really sad about here is The Woo. As for the rest, I honestly don't care that much how well they do here.

We also lost On the Verge songs, being, forget me too, Epidemic, bloody valentineHawái, Pretty Heart, Breaking Me, Heather, 7 Summers and you broke me first. I expected this from the Machine Gun Kelly songs and Epidemic, as they debuted just last week. I'm kind of disappointed that Breaking Me didn't do as well as I thought it would and I expect you broke me first to be back. Pretty Heart and 7 Summers are country songs, so I don't care all that much about their runs and I'm very glad that Heather left.

Most of the moves this week were just songs dropping because of the album bomb although Lemonade, I Hope and Mood all jumped this week, which is good since I like all of them.

Bang!'s probably gonna stick around for next week because it actually gained in performance this week, so it would've actually jumped had there not been an album bomb.

...And, that's pretty much all I have to say for this week so I'm just gonna stop the blurbs here.

Hot 100 Exits from Past Top 40 Songs
Life Is Good - Future/Drake (#41) [#2] {38 weeks}
Chasin' You - Morgan Wallen (#46) [#16] {36 weeks}
Die From A Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae (#48) [#22] {25 weeks}
We Paid - Lil Baby/42 Dugg (#49) [#10] {22 weeks}
DOLLAZ ON MY HEAD - Gunna/Young Thug (#78) [#38] {17 weeks}
Smile - Juice WRLD/The Weeknd (#81) [#8] {8 weeks}
Over Now - Calvin Harris/The Weeknd (#84) [#38] {5 weeks}

Life Is Good was old, so I'm not that sad that it's gone. Same with Chasin' You. Die From A Broken Heart and We Paid lasted for way longer than they should have, especially considering We Paid left the Top 40 a good month or two ago. I think DOLLAZ ON MY HEAD debuted in the Top 40 literally the week before I started doing this, so that's why there's no opinion. As for Smile and Over Now, they were never gonna be hits and The Weeknd's gonna have to try a bit harder to follow up Blinding Lights next time.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Hitbound List (part 1):

    Ashe - Save Myself (One To Watch)
    Malia Civetz - Broke Boy (Debut)
    DJ Khaled/Drake - POPSTAR (Re-entry)
    Niall Horan - Small Talk
    Royal & The Serpent - Overwhelmed
    Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. - Franchise
    Harry Styles - Golden
    Why Don't We - Fallin'
    Drake/Lil Durk - Laugh Now Cry Later
    Zoe Wees - Control

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitbound List (part 2):

    Joel Corry/MNEK - Head & Heart (Debut)
    X Lovers/Chloe Moriondo - Haunt You
    Saweetie - Tap In
    Jason Derulo - Take You Dancing (Debut)
    AJR - Bummerland (Debut)
    Juice WRLD - Wishing Well

    Possible Countdown Debuts:
    Pop Smoke - What You Know Bout Love
    Dua Lipa/DaBaby - Levitating
    salem ilese - Mad At Disney
    Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat - Baby, I'm Jealous
    Dixie D'amelio/blackbear/Lil Mosey - Be Happy (Remix)

    Dropouts:
    Morgan Wallen - 7 Summers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    FRANCHISE: 26 spins
    Small Talk: 21 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 20 spins
    POPSTAR: 17 spins
    Tap In: 13 spins
    Control: 12 spins
    Haunt You: 10 spins
    Head & Heart: 8 spins

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)