Friday, May 7, 2021

New Music Friday: Coldplay, Conan Gray & More!

Hey guys! So I was falling behind on my Hot 100 posts and I was also feeling a distinct lack of motivation, so I decided to drop the Hot 100 posts for the time being. However, I have a replacement that I'll be showing you guys today.

I figured that I would do a "New Music Friday" post, where every Friday, I'll be going through four brand new songs and my personal pick of the week, which will be a song that wasn't necessarily released on the Friday that the post comes out. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say, but if you don't, it's fine, because I'll be laying it out today.

Our first New Music Friday song comes from Coldplay, who will likely end up releasing their ninth studio album relatively soon. This week, we get our first taste of the album with this new song, Higher Power. Have a listen below.


This song is going for a bit of an 80s sound, which has been a bit of a trend lately. It got popularized by Dua Lipa and The Weeknd last year, but recently, more artists have tried their hands at it, most notably Twenty One Pilots and now Coldplay. I think this sound works decently well with the band. The verses are slightly boring, but I like the chorus and I've always liked Chris Martin's voice. That key change near the end fits quite well with the song and I like it. Honestly, I just hope that Coldplay can get another hit, because it's been a while since they've had a song circulating around radio.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

Next up is OneRepublic, who keep delaying their album Human, but it could possibly be coming soon, as we now have another single from it. This one's called Run. Have a listen below.


There are really only a couple of songs that have been released from this album that I really loved (considering Lose Somebody won't make an appearance), so I didn't have ridiculously high expectations for this, but I'm definitely not disappointed with this song. It's not the best I've heard from them, but it's interesting enough to keep my attention for the entire song. There's nothing too different or unique about this one, but I'm alright with that, because I really like OneRepublic's formula. Overall, this is good, but it's far from their best.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

We have P!nk next, who's releasing a documentary called All I Know So Far. So today, she released a single from the documentary, called, you guessed it, All I Know So Far. Have a listen below.


This song follows a similar trend to how her music's been lately, so it's relatively slow. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, but I do miss songs that sound like Raise Your Glass. P!nk has a really good voice, I don't think anybody can deny that, and it really shines here, especially in the chorus. I don't this will be a big radio song though, as it's pretty slow. It kind of picks up in the second verse, as a beat comes in, but it's not really enough to keep me too interested. Again, P!nk sounds good though, so this still isn't bad.

My Opinion: 3/5 = Decent

This next artist, Conan Gray broke out last year with his debut album, Kid Krow and he seems to be gearing up to a release of his second album. We've already gotten one taste of it with Overdrive, and now he gives us the second single from that album, Astronomy. Have a listen below.


Oh no. Ahhh, I should've featured Bebe Rexha or JP Saxe instead. Anyways, coming after Overdrive, I kind of expected this song to be pretty upbeat, but I was sorely mistaken. I hope that Hits 1 doesn't decide to pick this up, as it really sounds like Heather. It's pretty slow, which doesn't fit ridiculously well with Conan's voice and while the melody's slightly more interesting, I just find it really boring. Yeah, I really don't like this.

My Opinion: 0/5 = Awful

Now it's time for My Pick of the Week. This song was actually released last week, but since I'm just starting this this week, I didn't get to review this last week. DJ Khaled released another album last Friday and the new single from it features a star-studded roster of him, Post Malone, DaBaby, Megan Thee Stallion and Lil Baby. The song's called I DID IT. Have a listen below.


I adore this song. This is leagues better than both of the Drake collabs from this album. DJ Khaled yelling his name is still annoying, but that's pretty much my only complaint here. Post Malone destroys it in the hook, Megan's verse is awesome, DaBaby's verse one of the best I've heard from him and even Lil Baby delivers a solid verse here and I don't really care that he's here. He honestly adds something to the song, which is surprising, as I don't normally like him. DJ Khaled really pulled this entire thing together to make it the masterpiece that it is, though. The electric guitar in the chorus is really good and the rest of the production fits so well with the song. I really really hope that this becomes a hit.

Yeah, so that's it! I hope you guys enjoyed that and I look forward to doing it every week, because it was really fun. Could one or two of these songs debut Hit-Bound and I have to review them tomorrow? It's entirely possible, but I don't really care.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

13 comments:

  1. Levitating got a random boost from TikTok, so it's kind of getting a second wind, which is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, by the way, all of the song titles are links to the songs themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You’re right, Astronomy really does sound like Heather. The opening guitar line literally sounds exactly the same and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also I guess my comment I posted last night didn’t work since there’s no more comment moderation and even if there was you would’ve seen it - my rankdown has (finally) been completed! Check out the final results!

    https://wafflescountdownreviews.blogspot.com/p/rankdown-lights-over-paris-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just did a Hits 1 survey!

    Hit-Bound Songs:
    Best Friend
    Goosebumps (Remix)
    Met Him Last Night
    RAPSTAR
    Heartbreak Anniversary
    Your Power
    telepatía
    Hold On
    Higher Power

    Notable Absences:
    I'm not Pretty
    willow
    Save Your Tears
    Treat People With Kindness
    Overdrive
    Too Late
    The Business (!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIOOO THE WAY YOU FELT IS ACTUALLY ON HITS 1!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *SNIFFS* ON THE GROUND IS GONE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hits one changed to the Save your Tears remix for the countdown, Without You, you gonna too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hit-Bound:
    Heartbreak Anniversary - Giveon
    In the Water - CAL/Quinn XCII
    telepatía - Kali Uchis
    First Time - ILLENIUM/iann dior
    Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME
    Met Him Last Night - Demi Lovato/Ariana Grande
    STOP - AJ Mitchell
    The Business - Tiësto
    The Way You Felt - Alec Benjamin (DEBUT)
    Serotonin - girl in red
    Track Star - Mooski
    Good Without - Mimi Webb
    Girl From Rio - Anitta
    RAPSTAR - Polo G
    I'm not Pretty (Remix) - JESSIA/Bebe Rexha (RE-ENTRY)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also: Break My Heart Myself- Bebe Rhexa ft. Travis Barker

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I DIDN'T NOTICE ON THE GROUND WAS GONE! (*whaling*)

    ReplyDelete
  12. New(ish) music alert: Bet You Wanna, BLACKPINK & Cardi B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. came out October 2, 2020 so not new but reeeeeeaaaaallllyyyy good

      Delete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)