Friday, October 9, 2020

Hot 100 Top 40: Week of October 10, 2020 - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (1)

Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (1)
So this week, Travis Scott debuted at #1, with his new single FRANCHISE. Machine Gun Kelly also released his album Tickets To My Downfall, so you'll see a few songs from that in this post. Not much else to say, so let's jump into the exits for this week!

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
Chasin' You - Morgan Wallen (#40) [#16] {20 weeks} [x2]
Life Is Good - Future/Drake (#36) [#2] {37 weeks}
Cool Again - Kane Brown (#29) [#29] {6 weeks} [x2]

Last Week's #1: Dynamite - BTS (3)

#40: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (DEBUT) [2 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#39: Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus (-) [#14] {6 weeks}
#38: Rags2Riches - Rod Wave/ATR Son Son (-3) [#12] {8 weeks}
#37: Kings & Queens - Ava Max (+1) [#37] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#36: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (-12) [#24] {2 weeks}
#35: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (+2) [#35] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#34: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen (-) [#34] {3 weeks}
#33: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (-1) [#2] {42 weeks}
#32: Bang! - AJR (+1) [#32] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#31: If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels (-) [#27] {6 weeks}
#30: Tap In - Saweetie (-2) [#20] {6 weeks}
#29: The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch (+1) [#11] {12 weeks}
#28: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (DEBUT) [1 week On the Verge] {1 week}
#27: Mood Swings - Pop Smoke/Lil Tjay (-7) [#17] {9 weeks}
#26: Lovin' On You - Luke Combs (-) [#23] {6 weeks}
#25: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa (-) [#13] {27 weeks}
#24: Adore You - Harry Styles (-1) [#6] {42 weeks}
#23: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (+4) [#22] {8 weeks}
#22: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek (-4) [#4] {27 weeks}
#21: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake (-7) [#3] {11 weeks}
#20: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello (-1) [#2] {12 weeks}
#19: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean (+2) [#19] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#18: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (+4) [#18] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#17: Circles - Post Malone (-) [3 weeks at #1] {57 weeks}
#16: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (-3) [#9] {17 weeks}
#15: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby (-) [#6] {13 weeks}
#14: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV (+2) [#14] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#13: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne (-1) [#2] {25 weeks}
#12: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (-9) [#3] {2 weeks}
#11: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-) [#9] {21 weeks}
#10: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth (-) [#10] {29 weeks}
#9: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (-1) [1 week at #1] {18 weeks}
#8: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo (+1) [#7] {14 weeks}
#7: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch (-1) [7 weeks at #1] {24 weeks}
#6: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (+1) [4 weeks at #1] {40 weeks}
#5: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (-) [#5] {7 weeks}
#4: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk (-) [#2] {7 weeks}
#3: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (-1) [4 weeks at #1] {8 weeks}
#2: Dynamite - BTS (-1) [3 weeks at #1] {6 weeks}
#1: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (DEBUT) [1st week at #1] {1 week}

Last Year's #1: Truth Hurts - Lizzo [6/7 weeks at #1]

I'm gonna have to review this song tomorrow, but I think I'll just give it a normal length review anyways. It's What You Know Bout Love by Pop Smoke. This definitely isn't the best song from Pop's album Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon, which I got to review very early in my Hot 100 posts, in fact, I believe it's my second Hot 100 post. Anyways, this song's still good. The production's kind of repetitive, but it's pretty interesting. Pop sounds fantastic, as he always does and he works pretty well with the song. My main issue with it is that it's kind of forgettable. Still a good song though.

So I mentioned earlier that Machine Gun Kelly released his album, which basically means that his lead single, my ex's best friend with blackbear debuts really high at #28. Not disappointed. This definitely deserves to be a top 30 hit. Both artists honestly sound pretty good and the pop-rock vibe here is good and strays away a bit actually from the sound of the other two songs that I'm gonna review later. The chorus is actually pretty catchy and the entire song's pretty interesting. My only problem is that it's a little short, being just over two minutes long.

So our new #1 this week knocks off BTS' Dynamite and it's a new Travis Scott single. He pairs up with Young Thug and M.I.A. to make FRANCHISE. This song's okay. Both Scott and Thug sound pretty good here and Thug definitely delivers one of his best performances, as he can sound pretty bad at times. M.I.A. doesn't really fit with the song at all and I wish she wasn't there. My main problem though is that the production is kind of non-existent and the song just really doesn't have that much substance to it, much unlike his last three #1s, SICKO MODE, HIGHEST IN THE ROOM and THE SCOTTS which were all filled with substance (okay, maybe not HIGHEST IN THE ROOM that much, but at least I can remember what it sounds like) but this is still alright, since it's Travis Scott.

Best Debut: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear

Biggest DROP!!!: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (-12): Good. There must have been a remix or an album or something that I wasn't aware of, which would explain the way-too high debut last week.

Biggest Jump: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid & One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (+4): For Be Like That, whatever, it's alright. For One Of Them Girls, ayyyy, back in the top 20! Good, this is one of the best country songs that I've heard in a while.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch
#4: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#3: Dynamite - BTS
#2: Bang! - AJR
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo
#4: Lovin' On You - Luke Combs
#3: Adore You - Harry Styles
#2: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean
#1: Tap In - Saweetie

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
#20: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#19: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion

3 - Decent:
#18: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#17: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
#16: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi

4 - Good:
#15: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#14: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#13: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby

5 - Great:
#12: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#11: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#10: Circles - Post Malone
#9: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#8: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#7: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice
#6: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#5: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#4: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#3: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

Overall Score: 83/100 = 83%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa & Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek {27 weeks}
#4: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth {29 weeks}
#3: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd {40 weeks}
#2: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa & Adore You - Harry Styles {42 weeks}
#1: Circles - Post Malone {57 weeks}

On the Verge
Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers (#42) [3]
I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay (#43) [7]
forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey (#44) [1]
Epidemic - Polo G (#47) [1]
bloody valentine - Machine Gun Kelly (#50) [1]
ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson (#52) [4]
24 - Money Man/Lil Baby (#54) [3]
Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani (#56) [2]
Hawái - Maluma (#57) [5]
Pretty Heart - Parker McCollum (#58) [2]
Breaking Me - Topic/A7S (#59) [4]
Heather - Conan Gray (#60) [6]
7 Summers - Morgan Wallen (#61) [3; 2nd time*]
I Called Mama - Tim McGraw (#62) [2]
you broke me first - Tate McRae (#63) [2]

Machine Gun Kelly pairs up with Halsey on this next song, forget me too. This song is super rock and much less pop-rock. Like, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Travis Barker from blink-182 was the drummer on this. Ah, what do you know, I just looked it up, I was right. This is surprisingly Halsey's second rock song, after 11 Minutes if anybody remembers that from last year. Anyways, I still like this even if it's more rock than pop-rock. Halsey doesn't sound great, but I think the production works pretty well with her voice. Overall, definitely a good song.

Epidemic by Polo G is the next debut here and this is also good. Just in the good tier, not the great tier, but definitely still good. Polo G honestly sounds pretty good here and I've never actually heard anything from him before, but if his other stuff sounds like this, I could probably get behind it. The production's kind of uninteresting and the song's way too forgettable, but Polo really saves this song. Good song.

This next and final Machine Gun Kelly song is called bloody valentine and it's also a collab with an uncredited Travis Barker, which may be the case for the entire album. In my opinion, this is better than forget me too. The song sounds a lot less rock, it doesn't have Halsey and MGK honestly sounds pretty good. The instrumentation here is honestly really well-constructed and although I don't love the electric guitar, this is still a great song. I hope these songs stick around for a bit longer, but I can't possibly see that happen.

I Called Mama by Tim McGraw re-entered this week. This is an extremely forgettable song, I literally have nothing to say about it.

Best Debut: bloody valentine - Machine Gun Kelly

On the Verge Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: Heather - Conan Gray

1 - Bad:
#14: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen

2 - Mediocre:
#13: I Called Mama - Tim McGraw

3 - Decent:
#12: Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers
#11: 24 - Money Man/Lil Baby

4 - Good:
#10: Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani
#9: Epidemic - Polo G
#8: Pretty Heart - Parker McCollum

5 - Great:
#7: Hawái - Maluma
#6: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#5: forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey
#4: ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson
#3: bloody valentine - Machine Gun Kelly
#2: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#1: Breaking Me - Topic/A7S

Overall Score: 56/75 = 75%

You Know My Blurb So That Makes It All Feel Complicated, Yeah

We lost three Top 40 songs this week, Chasin' You, Life Is Good and Cool Again... again. Chasin' You was good, but it's still kind of old, Life Is Good was also kind of old, even though I never loved it (due completely to Future) and Cool Again shouldn't have left, but whatever.

We only lost two On the Verge songs this week, Diamonds and One Too Many. Both songs were pretty good and I'm sad to see both go, although One Too Many will probably re-enter sooner or later. Country songs tend to do that.

Both Kings & Queens and Bang! jumped one spot this week. Gotta say, even though it was only a spot, I'm happy for both of them.

Hah, Tap In's a flop!

Roses isn't in the top 20 anymore and that makes me sad.

POPSTAR's also not in the top 20, but I care less about that song.

Lemonade just keeps jumping! I'd really like to see it hit the top 10 soon.

You know, Holy actually dropped a lot less than I thought it was going to this week.

Yeah, that's about it for this week. Tune in next week to see where Shawn Mendes and Dua Lipa with DaBaby land!

Hot 100 Exits from Past Top 40 Songs
Say So - Doja Cat/Nicki Minaj (#47) [1 week at #1] {38 weeks}
Savage (Remix) - Megan Thee Stallion/Beyoncé (#48) [1 week at #1] {28 weeks}
Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey (#50) [#8] {33 weeks}
My Window - YoungBoy Never Broke Again/Lil Wayne (#89) [#35] {2 weeks}

Say So was never good, so I'm glad it's gone, Savage and Blueberry Faygo were both good although kind of old and My Window wasn't actually a hit, so I don't care about that.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow!

2 comments:

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)