Saturday, March 13, 2021

Week of March 13, 2021 - Olivia Rodrigo (3)

Welcome, everybody. Only one announcement this week and that's that I've started the 2020 Ultimate Rank! I've already revealed 14 songs, so if you haven't checked that out yet, I highly recommend that you do. It was a pretty active week on the Countdown this week, I have tons of brand new songs to review, so let's just jump into it with the exits for this week!

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
Good Days - SZA (#30) [#29] {3 weeks}
Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (#25) [#20] {11 weeks} [x2]
Skin - Sabrina Carpenter (#24) [#21] {3 weeks} [x2]
Afterglow - Ed Sheeran (#16) [#11] {10 weeks}
Love Story (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift (#15) [#11] {3 weeks}
34+35 - Ariana Grande (#13) [#8] {8 weeks}

Last Week's #1: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo (2)

#30: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf (DEBUT) [2 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#29: Way Less Sad - AJR (-) [#29] {3 weeks}
#28: 3, 2, 1 - 24kGoldn (DEBUT) [2 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#27: The Eulogy of You and Me - LILHUDDY (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#26: Leave The Door Open - Silk Sonic (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#25: Fly Away - Tones And I (-3) [#22] {6 weeks}
#24: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine (-1) [#23] {7 weeks}
#23: Overdrive - Conan Gray (+4) [#23] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#22: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI (-2) [#20] {6 weeks}
#21: I'm not Pretty - JESSIA (+7) [#21] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#20: Heat Waves - Glass Animals (+1) [#19] {7 weeks}
#19: We're Good - Dua Lipa (+7) [#18] {4 weeks}
#18: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (-1) [#17] {21 weeks}
#17: Till Forever Falls Apart - Ashe/FINNEAS (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#16: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney (+3) [#15] {18 weeks}
#15: forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey (RE-ENTRY) [#15] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#14: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max (+4) [#14] {7 weeks}
#13: Anyone - Justin Bieber (-1) [#12] {9 weeks}
#12: Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur (+2) [#12] {11 weeks} *new peak*
#11: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (-) [#3] {17 weeks}
#10: Lie Lie Lie - Joshua Bassett (-) [#10] {7 weeks}
#9: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (-4) [3 weeks at #1] {22 weeks}
#8: Treat People With Kindness - Harry Styles (-) [#8] {9 weeks}
#7: you broke me first - Tate McRae (+2) [#7] {24 weeks}
#6: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (-2) [#2] {24 weeks}
#5: willow - Taylor Swift (+2) [#5] {12 weeks}
#4: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear (-2) [4 weeks at #1] {26 weeks}
#3: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd (-) [#3] {17 weeks}
#2: Golden - Harry Styles (+4) [4 weeks at #1] {20 weeks}
#1: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo (-) [3rd week at #1] {9 weeks}

Last Year's #1: Adore You - Harry Styles [5/10 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Beginning Middle End - Leah Nobel

So after just a couple of weeks, Masked Wolf scored his first song on the Weekend Countdown with Astronaut In The Ocean debuting at #30 this week. I really enjoy this song and I'm really glad that Hits 1 decided to let this onto the Countdown. Masked Wolf has really great flow here and he switches it a lot. His voice sounds great here and he even does a really good job with the catchy hook. Apparently, this was actually released in 2019, so I'm glad that TikTok got its hands on it so that it could be a hit.

So with 24kGoldn becoming a host on Hits 1, they've probably decided to let all of his songs on the Countdown, as 3, 2, 1 debuts this week. I kind of wish that this happened earlier, because then we would've gotten Coco here, but whatever. This song is definitely growing on me. 24kGoldn sounds pretty great here and the instrumentation is really great and really helps the song a lot. The hook is also catchy. Not Mood catchy, but catchy in its own right. I'm really happy that this is here and I hope that it can stick around for a while here.

I guess it's a thing now for TikTok superstars to start doing music, as LILHUDDY now has a song called The Eulogy of You and Me and despite his artist name, this is a pop-rock song? I will definitely take that even though I'm really confused. I bet you anything that Travis Barker had something to do with this. (Checks credits) Haha called it. Anyways, I think LILHUDDY actually sounds pretty good here and the instrumentation is honestly great. The only issue that I have with this is that the lyrics are really weird and some of them are honestly just really bad. "Now you're dead to me, and it's R.I.P." for example. But whatever, I still like this song.

Next up is Silk Sonic, which is actually a duo comprised of Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak. Yes, this is Bruno Mars' first song in literally forever. I think both of the guys sound really good here and the production's decent, but it feels a little boring. I don't know, maybe that's just me, but I just get a little bored listening to this. I'm just not so sure it's a great radio song.

Ashe and FINNEAS have collaborated again. The last time that happened, FINNEAS produced Ashe's Moral of the Story, which was fine until Niall Horan jumped on it, so I guess I had mediocre expectations for this? Anyways, this song's called Till Forever Falls Apart and it's not bad. So far, I've found Ashe's music to be a little bland and lacking in production. I don't really think that changed too much here. It's slightly more interesting than MotS and Save Myself, and both Ashe and FINNEAS sound good together, but like the previous song, I get a little bored listening to this. I think the melody writing in the chorus was decent though and this will probably do quite well here because it's Ashe and Hits 1 discovered her.

forget me too re-entered at a pretty high #15 this week and all I have to say is that I'm not sure why it left in the first place. I hope it decides to stay here for a little while now.

Best Debut: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf

Biggest DROP!!!: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (-4): This wasn't too much of a drop, but it still looks like this will be gone in a few weeks' time. I'm not too upset about that, as it's getting a little old and I'm satisfied with how well it did here, but it's still a good song.

Biggest Jump: I'm not Pretty - JESSIA & We're Good - Dua Lipa (+7): Nice to see I'm not Pretty rebounding and now I actually have hopes that it'll manage to stick around after it's not the One to Watch anymore. As for We're Good, fine, I guess? I don't know, I don't really care about this song at all.

Countdown Ranking

0 - Crap:
#30: Golden - Harry Styles

1 - Bad:
#29: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish

2 - Mediocre:
#28: Fly Away - Tones And I
#27: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney

3 - Decent:
#26: Till Forever Falls Apart - Ashe/FINNEAS
#25: Leave The Door Open - Silk Sonic
#24: Heat Waves - Glass Animals

4 - Good:
#23: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#22: willow - Taylor Swift
#21: Treat People With Kindness - Harry Styles
#20: We're Good - Dua Lipa
#19: I'm not Pretty - JESSIA
#18: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine
#17: 3, 2, 1 - 24kGoldn
#16: The Eulogy of You and Me - LILHUDDY
#15: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke

5 - Great:
#14: Lie Lie Lie - Joshua Bassett
#13: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#12: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#11: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear
#10: Anyone - Justin Bieber
#9: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
#8: forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey
#7: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#6: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf
#5: Overdrive - Conan Gray 
#4: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI
#3: Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur
#2: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
#1: Way Less Sad - AJR

Overall Score: 120/150 = 80%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Golden - Harry Styles {20 weeks}
#4: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke {21 weeks}
#3: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby {22 weeks}
#2: you broke me first - Tate McRae & my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear {24 weeks}
#1: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear {26 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: This Is Heaven - Nick Jonas

My Favourite Song Last Year: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Say So - Doja Cat

Most Missed Countdown Song: On Top Of The World - Imagine Dragons

Hit-Bound
acting like that - YUNGBLUD/Machine Gun Kelly [1]
Calling My Phone - Lil Tjay/6LACK [1]
Beautiful Mistakes - Maroon 5/Megan Thee Stallion [2]
Too Late - Cash Cash/Wiz Khalifa/Lukas Graham [1]
Good Days - SZA [1; 2nd time]
Remember That Night? - Sara Kays [5]
Beginning Middle End - Leah Nobel [3]
Provide - G-Eazy/Chris Brown/Mark Morrison [4]
Sacrifice - Bebe Rexha [1]
2Drunk - Nick Jonas [1]
Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat [6]
slower - Tate McRae [1]
Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME [5]
Bad Girl - Daya [3]
The Business - Tiësto [3]

This first new Hit-Bound song was actually featured on the very first episode of The Goldn Hour (which I stopped reviewing, by the way, because it's hardly a show). That's right, acting like that by YUNGBLUD and Machine Gun Kelly debuts Hit-Bound this week. I've really enjoyed what MGK has had to bring as of late and I think him switching to pop-rock was definitely a good move for him. If he continues like this, I could become somewhat of an MGK fan. Anyways, this is the first YUNGBLUD song that we've had here since 11 Minutes in 2019 and I liked that song and I like this song too. Both artists sound great here and the instrumentation is literally on point. The chorus is also really catchy and I just love everything about this song and I hope it doesn't take too long to debut.

Well, this is definitely not the recent rap hit that I expected to cross over onto Hits 1. Rather than bringing Up by Cardi B to Hit-Bound this week, Hits 1 actually decided to throw a curveball and choose Calling My Phone by Lil Tjay and 6LACK for a Hit-Bound debut this week. This song's fine. It's not one of the most interesting rap hits that we've had in the past year, but it's definitely not bad. Both artists do a pretty good job here and while the sample is weird, it still kind of works. It's a little boring, though and the production isn't all too interesting. I'm still not disappointed that it's here, though.

Geez, we sure have had a lot of Wiz Khalifa recently on Hit-Bound. Hopefully this will be the first Wiz Khalifa song to debut this year, as it's probably my favourite of the three so far. Anyways, this next song is Too Late by Cash Cash, Wiz Khalifa and Lukas Graham. I'm really enjoying this song. We haven't really heard from Lukas Graham since he had that decent-sized hit from a few years ago, Love Someone and I've always liked his stuff. I think he has a good voice and he was definitely a good choice for the hook in this song. Personally, I think he should've been given a hook rather than it just being Wiz Khalifa, but I don't really care. The thing that really ties this song together, though, is Cash Cash. They do such a good job with the production here and it makes the song super interesting. The drop is really well done and I think they did well with the rest of the production too. Kind of ominous lyrics, but I still really enjoy this song.

Good Days left the Countdown and re-entered Hit-Bound this week. I don't care too much, but I'm glad it's not gone, I guess.

Oh yeah, Bebe Rexha. Baby, I'm Jealous was so forgettable that I'm gonna count this song, Sacrifice as her big return. Anyways, this song's pretty good. Bebe Rexha has always had a good voice and I think it shines pretty well here. There's also a drop here, and it's decently well-done. I'd like to see this on the Countdown, that would be fun.

I guess Nick Jonas is going solo again, as he just released an album called Spaceman. A week ago, he released a song from that called This Is Heaven and I really like that song. But instead, Hits 1 decided to choose 2Drunk to add to Hit-Bound this week. Don't get me wrong, this is still a good song and I'm definitely intrigued as to what else this album has to offer, but This Is Heaven is really good. Anyways, onto this song. It's a lot of fun, it's catchy and Nick Jonas sounds pretty good here. I'd like to see this on the Countdown, but I'd also like to see This Is Heaven here. I don't know, I guess we'll see.

Tate McRae has now had three songs on Hits 1, as slower debuts Hit-Bound this week. This is fine. I think it's slightly better than rubberband, as the production actually has something going on it. It's still pretty boring, though. Not much else to add about this.

Best Debut: acting like that - YUNGBLUD/Machine Gun Kelly

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: The Business - Tiësto

1 - Bad:
#14: Beginning Middle End - Leah Nobel

2 - Mediocre:
#13: Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME
#12: Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat

3 - Decent:
#11: Good Days - SZA
#10: Calling My Phone - Lil Tjay/6LACK
#9: Bad Girl - Daya

4 - Good:
#8: Remember That Night? - Sara Kays
#7: slower - Tate McRae
#6: Sacrifice - Bebe Rexha
#5: 2Drunk - Nick Jonas

5 - Great:
#4: Beautiful Mistakes - Maroon 5/Megan Thee Stallion
#3: Provide - G-Eazy/Chris Brown/Mark Morrison
#2: Too Late - Cash Cash/Wiz Khalifa/Lukas Graham
#1: acting like that - YUNGBLUD/Machine Gun Kelly

Overall Score: 50/75 = 67%

If the Blurb Takes California (BUM BUM BUM)

There were five Countdown exits that I haven't talked about yet: Go Crazy, Skin, Afterglow, Love Story and 34+35. For Go Crazy, it was quite good and I'm sad that it didn't do better here. Skin was only alright, so I'm not all that sad that it flopped. Afterglow was really good and I wish that it was a much bigger hit. I'm not entirely sure what happened with Love Story, as it debuted really high, then just lost all of its momentum. Even though it wasn't a radio song, I was hoping Hits 1 would let it do well anyways. Oh well. As for 34+35, it was fine and although it doesn't make much sense that it's gone, I don't really care that much.

Four Hit-Bound exits this week too. cheers, too many feelings, Talk About Love and Cry Over Boys. cheers was quite good and I'm sad it didn't debut. It kind of sucks that too many feelings was never really given a shot, as it was also decent. Talk About Love was good, but kind of forgettable, so whatever. As for Cry Over Boys, it was extremely forgettable, so I don't care at all that it's gone.

Sucks that Way Less Sad isn't jumping like I hoped it would.

I really hope that Overdrive keeps jumping, because I really like it.

My Head & My Heart jumped back up to its peak of #14 this week, which is great. I hope this can manage to out-peak her other songs and hit #1.

Lasting Lover is hanging right outside the top 10 and I really really hope that it can make it into the top 10.

Why is Golden back up at #2? This should be Save Your Tears at #2. I just hope that it ends up dropping again.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
#3: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#4: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#5: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#6: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#7: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#8: Calling My Phone - Lil Tjay/6LACK
#9: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#10: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#11: positions - Ariana Grande
#12: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#17: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#21: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#22: Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat
#23: Good Days - SZA
#24: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#29: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#30: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#31: Anyone - Justin Bieber
#32: willow - Taylor Swift
#34: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI
#35: Bang! - AJR
#38: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#41: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#43: Dynamite - BTS
#45: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
#47: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#49: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf
#51: We're Good - Dua Lipa
#55: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear
#56: Body - Megan Thee Stallion
#58: Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME
#59: Golden - Harry Styles
#61: Heat Waves - Glass Animals
#71: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine
#81: The Business - Tiësto

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: 3, 2, 1 - 24kGoldn
#9: Beautiful Mistakes - Maroon 5/Megan Thee Stallion
#8: Good Days - SZA
#7: We're Good - Dua Lipa
#6: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#5: Stay Next To Me - Quinn XCII/Chelsea Cutler
#4: Goodbye - Shaylen
#3: positions - Ariana Grande
#2: Oh My God - Alec Benjamin
#1: 34+35 - Ariana Grande

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
#9: Golden - Harry Styles
#8: Anyone - Justin Bieber
#7: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#6: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#5: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#4: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#3: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#2: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#1: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

5 comments:

  1. Just did a Hits 1 survey!

    Countdown Songs They Didn't Ask About:
    Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine
    Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur
    Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby

    Hit-Bound Songs They Asked About:
    Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME
    Beautiful Mistakes - Maroon 5/Megan Thee Stallion
    Follow You - Imagine Dragons
    Good Days - SZA
    Only Wanna Be With You (Pokémon 25 Version) - Post Malone
    All I Want - Olivia Rodrigo
    Beginning Middle End - Leah Nobel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need Telling Myself on the countdown next week

      Delete
    2. Yay Only Wanna Be With You isn't dead!!!

      Delete
  2. YOU PUT BLACKBEAR AGAIN OMG 😂

    But great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you've got to be kidding me.

      Delete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)