Friday, September 18, 2020

The Global 200 Chart on Billboard is a Mess...

Yes, I know it's been a post-heavy week. You're welcome.


So, Billboard just last week released a brand new chart, and it's called the Global 200 chart. So basically, it's just the Hot 100, except 200 songs, and it includes the entire world, rather than just the US. So I thought today we'd take a look at this chart.

First up, the top 10.

#1: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#4: Hawái - Maluma
#5: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#6: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#7: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#8: Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez
#9: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#10: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles

You can definitely see that the US has a ton of sway here, since WAP is also #1 on the Hot 100. You can also see the impact South Korea had, as Ice Cream is up in the top 10, whereas it's lower than the top 40 on the Hot 100. You can also notice the latino community bringing Hawái to #4, which I think is cool, since I like that song. The last thing I want to note here is that Mood is pretty high.

Next notable thing is that Pop Smoke is a lot higher than he is on the Hot 100. For The Night sits at #12, Mood Swings at #15 and Dior is still on the chart. Not sure which countries love Pop Smoke, but I'm not complaining all that much.

There's also two other spanish songs in the top 20, the remix of Sech's Relación and Ozuna's Caramelo.

Dance Monkey is #18. You heard right. DANCE MONKEY is still in the top 20. Oh, Australia.

Following up Dance Monkey is Head & Heart and Heather at #19 and #20, respectively. I totally get why Head & Heart is so high, because it's a pretty big hit in the UK, but I haven't a clue why the heck Heather is in the top 20.

Breaking Me's also #21, but that makes sense since both artists are from different countries.

you broke me first by Tate McRae is at #30, and I can't think of why, since Tate McRae is Canadian, and I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't have that much sway. Guess I was wrong.

...And the second old song is Someone You Loved at #32... great. Somehow, this ranks even higher than Before You Go, even though Before You Go is a current hit and Someone You Loved is about a year older. I'll never understand music.

GREECE by DJ Khaled and Drake is still in the top 40 on this list, so I guess Canada does have some sway.

Take You Dancing by Jason Derulo is sitting at #44, and I totally agree with this chart's placement of it. There's no reason why this song shouldn't be a hit, since it's pretty good.

Circles is at #51 on this chart, so I guess it is just the US that's still extremely invested in this song.

bad guy sits at #55, but honestly I'm totally fine with that, because I can't be upset with this still being here when what sits three spots down is much worse.

Baby Shark... you're freaking kidding me. I'm honestly just really glad that I wasn't doing Hot 100 reviews when this was charting. Don't ask me why this was charting at all.

Sunflower's at #59, and I honestly don't mind that whatsoever. I will never ever grow tired of this song.

However, Perfect by Ed Sheeran is sitting at #61. I really like this song, but this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why is the world still listening to this more than Blueberry Faygo, which is a spot down? Like, seriously?

We just get a hit of old songs next, as Señorita, Toosie Slide, Memories and freakin' Old Town Road are on the chart back-to-back. Now I'm just really confused.

...And the FIRST country song on this chart pops up, as I Hope sits at #78. Wow, America is huge into country, and the rest of the world really isn't.

Shallow and Believer by Imagine Dragons sit at #81 and #82. This is where songs start to get really old, and I start to get really confused.

In Your Eyes by The Weeknd is at #83 because Canada. Not disappointed.

(Intro to Shape of You plays faintly in the background)

Be Kind is right after In Your Eyes, and I'm glad this didn't fall off as quickly as it did on the Hot 100.

(Shape of You starts to get louder)

Next is Still Don't Know My Name by Labrinth, and I haven't actually listened-

(Shape of You is now playing at top volume)

Dang. Okay, so somehow, Shape of You by Ed Sheeran from 2017 is sitting at #86... *sighs*... sorry, why, again? (In case anyone was wondering if I was gonna switch to the Global 200 chart or stick with the Hot 100, well, I'd say this speaks for itself, and, chances are, you've already read my Hot 100 post from today. Yes, that was a shameless advertisement.)

Yeah, SICKO MODE is sitting at #96... I don't think anything could surprise me at this point.

And, I can't actually see #101-#200, since it requires a Billboard Pro account, so that's all! Hope you guys enjoyed my little post, it was pretty fun to make, and I hope it was as fun to read. See y'all tomorrow!

21 comments:

  1. I mean, I kinda like seeing what the current world is still listening to the most. That's the power of no recurrent rules. If you want fresh music, just stick to the Hot 100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally fair. I didn't realize that the Hot 100 had rules that kept that from happening. That's why Truth Hurts didn't debut until it was in the top 40, right?

      Delete
    2. When I become a Billboard Pro, I have to sign in through my email without paying dollars to look at certain charts (or even #101-#200), But honestly, I'd like to do reviews on the Global 200, but I'd rather do reviews on the Hot 100 rather than the Global 200.

      Delete
    3. You don't know about the Hot 100 recurrent rules?

      If a song has spent 20 weeks on the chart, and is below 50, they drop out of the chart completely.

      If Old Town Road was #1 for 19 weeks, and went on to drop slowly to #16, then next week to #39, and if the next week it would drop below #50, it would actually be permanently gone.

      If a song spends a whole year, 52 weeks on a chart, and is below #25, then it will be permanently removed. Example is Circles. If it can stay above #25 on the chart but surpass 52 weeks, it will stay. But as soon as Cirlces hits down to #26 or lower it's gone for good.

      This doesn't happen with the Global chart. Sicko Mode is on it. Perfect is on it. Because there are no recurrent rules like that.

      I'm not completely sure if you knew this, but if you did, sorry lol.

      Delete
    4. Oh, thanks so much, I had no clue. But there's just one more thing I'm confused about: So songs like Old Town Road can just never come back? Or could it come back is it was above #50?

      Delete
    5. Or Cheap Thrills, it lasted 52 weeks on the chart, it's gone for good. Another example of that is Don't Let Me Down left after 52 weeks on the chart, it dropped out in the Top 30. See, I'm a Billboard Pro.

      Delete
    6. The song could very well come back if it regains resurgance. Take a look at Lucid Dreams after Juice's passing. As long as it re-enters above 50, (which in re-entered at 8 I believe) it will show back on the chart.

      Delete
  2. Top 50 Global 200 Thoughts:

    50. Old
    49. Great song.
    48. It's a good song I can dance to.
    47. Same as #50.
    46. Bad.
    45. ^^^^
    44. Decent.
    43. It kinda shrunk on me
    42. Look at #49.
    41. Same as numbers #45 and #46.
    40. Meh
    39. Look at #48
    38. Decent
    37. Old.
    36. Forgettable.
    35. Really outstanding.
    34. Look at numbers #37 and #50
    33. God no!
    32. Got old but honestly it grew on me
    31. Forgettable
    30. ^^^
    29. God no!
    28. ^^^^
    27. Solid.
    26. ^^^
    25. Meh.
    24. Forgettable
    23. ^^^^
    22. Amazing.
    21. Really solid.
    20. Shrunk on me.
    19. Really good but the drop is honestly not that good.
    18. Look at #21
    17. I prefer the original tbh.
    16. Honestly pretty decent.
    15. No.
    14. Yes
    13. No
    12. Meh, also forgettable.
    11. This is so catchy af
    10. Old.
    9. This is fucking amazing.
    8. Hated it, but it grew on me.
    7. God, words can't describe how much I adore this song.
    6. Decent, but now good
    5. Pretty good.
    4. Fuck no.
    3. Honestly I'm happy it's in the top 3.
    2. Good, especially for a BTS song.
    1. Are you kidding me right now?

    BTW, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New on hits 1
    Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance The Rapper
    Diamonds - San Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda got confused with the FGL song on Holy. But honestly, Holy is quite decent. While Diamonds is great.

      Delete
  4. Hit-Bound:
    Ashe - Save Myself
    Juice WRLD - Wishing Well
    Claire Rosinkranz - Backyard Boy
    BTS - Dynamite
    Machine Gun Kelly/Blackbear - My Ex's Best Friend
    Marshmello/Demi Lovato - Ok Not To Be Ok
    Blu DeTiger - Figure It Out
    Dixie D'Amelio/Blackbear/Lil Mosey - Be Happy
    Niall Horan - Black & White
    Zara Larsson - WOW
    Curtis Waters/Harm Franklin - Stunnin'
    Morgan Wallen - 7 Summers (RE-ENTRY)
    Ava Max - Naked (DEBUT)
    Royal & The Serpent - Overwhelmed (DEBUT)
    Saweetie - Tap In
    Avenue Beat - F2020

    Possible Countdown Debuts:
    All Time Low/Blackbear - Monsters

    Possible Countdown Re-Entries:
    Ananya - Let There Be Love

    LOL Ava Max hosted Hit-Bound because she played Naked on Hit-Bound

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit-Bound Dropouts never come back. Some do.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)