Friday, September 18, 2020

Hot 100 Top 40: Week of September 19, 2020 - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (3)

Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (3)
Make sure you DON'T forget to add in the intro when you've finished writing the post. Also, make sure you don't forget the HUGE announcement you have to put in here.
-Beluga

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
Wishing Well - Juice WRLD (#40) [#5] {8 weeks}
Over Now - Calvin Harris/The Weeknd (#38) [#38] {1 week}
Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey (#35) [#8] {25 weeks}
Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez (#13) [#13] {1 week}

Last Week's #1: Dynamite - BTS (2)

#40: Say So - Doja Cat/Nicki Minaj (RE-ENTRY) [1 week at #1] {26 weeks}
#39: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee (-3) [#23] {22 weeks}
#38: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV (DEBUT) [#38] {1 week}
#37: Rain On Me - Lady Gaga/Ariana Grande (-3) [1 week at #1] {14 weeks}
#36: Cool Again - Kane Brown (RE-ENTRY) [#36] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#35: Rags2Riches - Rod Wave/ATR Son Son (-3) [#12] {5 weeks}
#34: Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus (+3) [#14] {3 weeks}
#33: Life Is Good - Future/Drake (+6) [#2] {35 weeks}
#32: Savage (Remix) - Megan Thee Stallion/Beyoncé (-2) [1 week at #1] {25 weeks}
#31: Die From A Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae (-6) [#22] {8 weeks}
#30: If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels (-3) [#27] {3 weeks}
#29: Hit Different - SZA/The Neptunes/Ty Dolla $ign (DEBUT) [#29] {1 week}
#28: The Bones - Maren Morris (-) [#12] {37 weeks}
#27: The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch (+2) [#11] {9 weeks}
#26: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean (+5) [#26] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#25: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (-2) [#2] {39 weeks}
#24: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (-2) [#22] {5 weeks}
#23: Lovin' On You - Luke Combs (+3) [#23] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#22: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (+11) [#22] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#21: Mood Swings - Pop Smoke/Lil Tjay (-1) [#17] {6 weeks}
#20: Tap In - Saweetie (+1) [#20] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#19: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello (-) [#2] {9 weeks}
#18: Adore You - Harry Styles (-) [#6] {39 weeks}
#17: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa (-1) [#13] {24 weeks}
#16: Circles - Post Malone (-1) [3 weeks at #1] {54 weeks}
#15: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby (+2) [#6] {10 weeks}
#14: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (-) [#9] {14 weeks}
#13: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek (-2) [#4] {24 weeks}
#12: I Hope - Gabby Barrett (-) [#10] {26 weeks}
#11: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-1) [#10] {18 weeks}
#10: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake (+14) [#3] {8 weeks}
#9: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo (-) [#7] {11 weeks}
#8: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne (-1) [#2] {22 weeks}
#7: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (-1) [1 week at #1] {15 weeks}
#6: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (+2) [#6] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#5: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (-) [4 weeks at #1] {37 weeks}
#4: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch (-) [7 weeks at #1] {21 weeks}
#3: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk (-) [#2] {4 weeks}
#2: Dynamite - BTS (-1) [2 weeks at #1] {3 weeks}
#1: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (+1) [3rd week at #1] {5 weeks}

Last Year's #1: Truth Hurts - Lizzo [3/7 weeks at #1]

Say So re-entered this week at #40. I'm a little disappointed, because I thought I was done with this song, but I can't possibly see this sticking around for much longer.

I reviewed this song last week for my Hot 100 post. At #38, our lowest debut is Lemonade by Internet Money, Gunna, Don Toliver and NAV. This is a good song. The best part is easily Don Toliver's hook. It's seriously one of my favourite rap hooks of the year. I love Don's voice here, and his vibrato works really well. I like the cool production here too. NAV delivers a really good verse here, and I've actually grown into Gunna's verse since last week. Great song, I seriously hope it does well here.

Cool Again also re-entered, and I can see this one sticking around for longer than Say So. Also, CALLED IT!!!

Our second and final debut of the week is Hit Different by SZA, The Neptunes and Ty Dolla $ign. Pharrell Williams is also credited, but he's just half of The Neptunes, so I didn't credit him. This song's alright. SZA's always great, and I really like her in this song. This probably isn't her best delivery, but it's for sure solid. This song's a little slow, and I think that brought this down a chunk. Also, Ty Dolla $ign's lazy chorus sure didn't help. Pharrell Williams is good with the backup vocals though. Decent song.

Best Debut: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

Biggest Drop: Die From A Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae (-6): Aaaay. Hopefully, this can leave soon, since it really sucks.

Biggest Jump: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake (+14): Woah. Seriously never expected this song to rebound into the top 10, but I'm pretty happy that it did, since it's definitely grown on me since it was released.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#4: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#3: The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch
#2: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#1: Dynamite - BTS

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: Adore You - Harry Styles
#4: Die From A Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae
#3: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean
#2: Tap In - Saweetie
#1: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
#20: Tap In - Saweetie
#19: Adore You - Harry Styles

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#18: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion

3 - Decent:
#17: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa
#16: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#15: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake
#14: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby
#13: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi

4 - Good:
#12: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk

5 - Great:
#11: Circles - Post Malone
#10: I Hope - Gabby Barrett
#9: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#8: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek
#7: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#6: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#5: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#4: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#3: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#2: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Bonus: 6 - Best Song in the Top 40:
#1: Dynamite - BTS

Overall Score: 77/100 = 77%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Say So - Doja Cat/Nicki Minaj & I Hope - Gabby Barrett {26 weeks}
#4: Life Is Good - Future/Drake {35 weeks}
#3: The Bones - Maren Morris & Blinding Lights - The Weeknd {37 weeks}
#2: Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa & Adore You - Harry Styles {39 weeks}
#1: Circles - Post Malone {54 weeks}

My Favourite Song Elsewhere: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (#68)

On the Verge
Nobody's Love - Maroon 5 (#44) [7]
Girls in the Hood - Megan Thee Stallion (#45) [4; 3rd time]
Heather - Conan Gray (#46) [3]
Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez (#49) [1; 2nd time*]
Like That - Doja Cat/Gucci Mane (#50) [5]
Bang! - AJR (#51) [2]
More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen (#53) [2]
I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay (#54) [4]
Hawái - Maluma (#55) [2]
ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson (#57) [1]
ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (#59) [1]
Breaking Me - Topic/A7S (#60) [1]
The Voice - Lil Durk (#62) [1]
Do It - Chloe x Halle (#63) [1]
Relación (Remix) - Sech/Daddy Yankee/J Balvin/ROSALÍA/Farruko (#64) [1]

Ice Cream went to On the Verge after leaving this week. Hopefully, it'll re-enter the Top 40 soon. I can see it re-entering, especially considering how high it is right now.

Our highest debut this week is ONE BEER by HARDY, Lauren Alaina and Devin Dawson. This song's been lower down on the Hot 100 for a while now, and from the look of the title, you would NOT think it is what it actually is. It's actually a song about how life flies by so quickly, and how one little thing can change so much. They just use a beer as an example of that. The vocals here are good, and the production's also good. The writing's pretty good too, as I've already explained. So yeah, this is good.

The second debut is ily by Surf Mesa and Emilee. I'm not too happy that this is becoming a big hit, since I really don't like how it's literally just four lines repeated over and over again, but as I said last week in my Hits 1 post, this is MUCH more interesting than death bed, as it actually has some production, and the vocal performance is actually pretty good. So for those reasons, it's not bad, but the repeated vocals certainly stop it from being good.

A good song that's also on Hits 1, though, is this next one, Breaking Me by Topic and A7S. It's been a while since I've reviewed this, so I'm gonna do a relatively in-depth review here. I really like the vocals here. A7S' voice reminds me of a less harsh Lewis Capaldi, and I really like that. Topic's production is really good, and reminds me a lot of Roses. Since I like Lewis Capaldi, and I like Roses, this makes for a really good song. The melody's good too, and the writing's alright. So yeah, this is good, and I hope it's a hit here too.

Next up, based on the hit TV show is The Voice by Lil Durk. Just kidding. I'm not sure if it's actually based on The Voice, that was just a joke, but this song's alright. And like, a happy alright, not a meh alright. (Geez, I wish there was some way to express tone of voice in writing). You probably recognize Lil Durk from Laugh Now Cry Later with Drake, and he delivers probably just as well here. Maybe not as well, but close to as well. The beat was pretty well-made though, and much more interesting than Laugh Now Cry Later. The other production, such as the guitar and stuff, also sound good. So yeah, this is solid.

Next up is a song that I'm pretty sure has been around for a while, but just got a remix, Do It by Chloe x Halle. This is an R&B song, which isn't actually that common on the Hot 100, and I'm not a huge fan of R&B. I can get behind Khalid and other more mainstream R&B artists, and I think most R&B artists have really cool, soulful voices, and that's easily the best part of the genre, but I find a lot of it pretty boring. This song isn't much of an exception. The production's not very interesting, and the melody doesn't really go anywhere. Their voices bring it up though.

Finally, we have the remix of Relación by Sech, with Daddy Yankee, J BalvinROSALÍA and Farruko. The chorus here's pretty good, but there's not much too interesting about this, since latino songs aren't really my thing. ROSALÍA's easily the most talented one here, and her voice sounds good. But overall, I don't find this song interesting whatsoever, and it really doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't dislike it though, so it's in blue for now.

Best Debut: Breaking Me - Topic/A7S

On the Verge

0 - Crap:
#15: Heather - Conan Gray

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#14: Relación (Remix) - Sech/Daddy Yankee/J Balvin/ROSALÍA/Farruko
#13: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen
#12: Do It - Chloe x Halle
#11: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee

3 - Decent:
#10: Nobody's Love - Maroon 5

4 - Good:
#9: The Voice - Lil Durk
#8: Like That - Doja Cat/Gucci Mane
#7: Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez
#6: ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson

5 - Great:
#5: Hawái - Maluma
#4: Girls in the Hood - Megan Thee Stallion
#3: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#2: Breaking Me - Topic/A7S
#1: Bang! - AJR

Overall Score: 52/75 = 69% (Bruh, I keep getting this)

Ice, Blurb-onade My Neck Was Drippin'

We lost three Top 40 songs that I haven't talked about already, Wishing Well, Over Now and Blueberry Faygo. I wish Wishing Well was a little more popular, since I really liked it, I seriously couldn't care less about how Over Now does, and although I'm sad to see Blueberry Faygo go, it's probably locked in for the year-end list at this point.

We also lost On the Verge songs, Be A Light, 7 Summers, Starting Over, Smile and I Love My Country. I'm really sad to see Be A Light get knocked off of the Hot 100 entirely, since it's really good, I don't care that 7 Summers or Starting Over are gone, Smile was alright, but honestly, I don't care and I TOTALLY predicted I Love My Country not sticking around, since it also left the Hot 100.

Life Is Good keeps jumping and dropping around the bottom, and I find that kind of funny.

Yeah, If the World Was Ending could probably leave and I wouldn't care.

Somehow, Got What I Got is in the top 30. Seriously? Who actually thinks that this is good?

Woah, One Of Them Girls got a huge jump this week, and I'm honestly really happy, since this is a pretty good song.

Tap In is in the top 20... dang.

For The Night actually rebounded quite a bit after its album bomb debut, which is good.

Dynamite dropped off of #1 and was replaced by WAP again. Sucks, since Dynamite is leagues better than WAP.

Hot 100 Exits from Past Top 40 Songs
I Love My Country - Florida Georgia Line (#62) [#40] {20 weeks}
the 1 - Taylor Swift (#92) [#4] {6 weeks}
Got It On Me - Pop Smoke (#98) [#31] {9 weeks}

Other than I Love My Country, the other two songs here are just from albums that have now completely left except for the singles, and although they were both good, I get it.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow for my Hits 1 posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)