Thursday, November 26, 2020

Week of November 28, 2020 - Shawn Mendes (2)

Shawn Mendes (2)
Hey guys, I’ve actually got quite a bit to talk about today. So first, the weird scheduling for this week. Since it’s Thanksgiving Weekend, Hits 1 aired the Countdown today, on a Thursday. I wasn’t too aware of this, so I planned to get my Hot 100 post dated for this weekend out tomorrow, when it would normally come out. So my Hits 1 posts will just come out before my Hot 100 post, which will definitely drop tomorrow. November Callout Scores will come shortly after that. Next, let’s talk about Year-End posts. Since this is the official end of the Billboard tracking year, Billboard and Hits 1 should get their year-end lists out really soon, at which point, I’ll do a full review of each list. After the last Countdown in December (December 26), I’ll put my Year in Review post out, which is basically just a bunch of statistics and fun stuff like that for this year. Once January rolls around, you’ll probably see my Bottom 10 Songs of 2020 post and my Top 45 Songs of 2020. If I plan anything else, I’ll let you guys know. Also, the 2019 Ultimate Rank should finish soon. I’m sorry that that took so long, but I should wrap it up soon enough. Oh also, the 2020 Ultimate Rank will start in January, at which point I’ll explain some of the changes that I made this year so that it doesn’t take so long. Wooh! I apologize for that super long intro. Here’s the exit for this week.

Song We’re Saying Goodbye To
Be Happy (Remix) - Dixie D’Amelio/blackbear/Lil Mosey (#23) [#18] {6 weeks}

Last Week’s #1: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (1)

#30: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X (-8) [#22] {2 weeks}
#29: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (-2) [#27] {2 weeks}
#28: going out - ROLE MODEL (+2) [#28] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#27: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#26: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear (-) [#26] {2 weeks}
#25: WOW - Zara Larsson (-) [#25] {2 weeks}
#24: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd (-) [#24] {2 weeks}
#23: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (-2) [#21] {2 weeks}
#22: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (+6) [#20] {7 weeks}
#21: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (-5) [#16] {10 weeks}
#20: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney (-) [#20] {3 weeks}
#19: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat (-2) [#17] {7 weeks}
#18: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (-3) [#11] {18 weeks}
#17: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We (+2) [#17] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#16: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo (+13) [#16] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#15: Dynamite - BTS (-1) [#14] {9 weeks}
#14: Diamonds - Sam Smith (-3) [#11] {10 weeks}
#13: Falling - Harry Styles (-3) [6 weeks at #1] {13 weeks}
#12: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (-3) [#8] {9 weeks}
#11: Heather - Conan Gray (+2) [#6] {18 weeks}
#10: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (-6) [#2] {14 weeks}
#9: you broke me first - Tate McRae (+9) [#7] {9 weeks}
#8: Bang! - AJR (-1) [#3] {15 weeks}
#7: positions - Ariana Grande (+5) [#7] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#6: Small Talk - Niall Horan (-1) [#5] {6 weeks}
#5: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (+1) [#5] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#4: Golden - Harry Styles (-1) [#3] {5 weeks}
#3: Save Myself - Ashe (+5) [#3] {11 weeks} *new peak*
#2: Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear (-) [#2] {11 weeks}
#1: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (-) [2nd week at #1] {8 weeks}

Last Year’s #1: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi [3/3 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA

Our only debut this week is the second single from Miley Cyrus’ upcoming album, Plastic Hearts. This one’s called Prisoner and it features Dua Lipa. It sounds like Miley’s album’s gonna be super based on 80s music and since Dua Lipa released a pretty 80s-sounding album, Future Nostalgia, earlier this year, she really fits here. I’m not too sure if I’m entirely on board with 80s Miley Cyrus, as I don’t think her voice works too well with that type of production. As for Dua Lipa, I’ve made it pretty clear on this blog that I like her with 80s music. My other problem with this song other than Miley Cyrus is the fact that the chorus is pretty much exactly the same as Physical by Olivia Newton-John. Maybe not the entire chorus, but definitely the “Prisoner, prisoner” part and I find it odd how Miley couldn’t think of an original melody. Still a good song though.

Biggest DROP!!!: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X (-8): Aww, that sucks that this song dropped to the very bottom of the Countdown on its second week. However, the bottom spot isn’t off the Countdown, so I still hold hope.

Biggest Jump: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo (+13): That’s good that this is getting success. It’s fading on me a bit, but I’m still happy that it’s in the top 15.

Countdown Ranking

0 - Crap:
#30: Heather - Conan Gray

1 - Bad:
#29: going out - ROLE MODEL
#28: Golden - Harry Styles
#27: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#26: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco

2 - Mediocre:
#25: Small Talk - Niall Horan
#24: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#23: WOW - Zara Larsson

3 - Decent:
#22: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#21: Save Myself - Ashe
#20: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#19: Falling - Harry Styles

4 - Good:
#18: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear
#17: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat
#16: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa
#15: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#14: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#13: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke

5 - Great:
#12: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#11: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo
#10: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#9: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#8: Dynamite - BTS
#7: Bang! - AJR
#6: Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear
#5: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We
#4: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#3: positions - Ariana Grande
#2: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Overall Score: 106/150 = 71%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Save Myself - Ashe & Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear {11 weeks}
#4: Falling - Harry Styles {13 weeks}
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior {14 weeks}
#2: Bang! - AJR {15 weeks}
#1: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid & Heather - Conan Gray {18 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: A Little Bit Yours - JP Saxe

My Favourite Song Last Year: Time - NF

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Truth Hurts - Lizzo

Most Missed Countdown Song: Starboy - The Weeknd/Daft Punk

Artists with the Most Songs on Hits 1: blackbear & Justin Bieber (3)

Hit-Bound
Never the 1 - ROSIE [4]
Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV [5]
Fly Away - Tones And I [2]
Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA [4]
Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd [2]
Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane [2]
Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo [2; 2nd time]
34+35 - Ariana Grande [3]
Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber [1]
Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito [2]
Bummerland - AJR [8*]
Goodbye - Shaylen [4]
Broke Boy - Malia Civetz [8*]
Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent [12*]
Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug [2; 2nd time]

Our only Hit-Bound debut this week is an extremely Canadian collaboration and I’m actually quite surprised it hasn’t happened yet. This song, Monster will probably appear on both Shawn Mendes’ upcoming album, Wonder and Justin Bieber’s upcoming untitled album. This song is fantastic. I expected it to be pretty upbeat, but I’m actually glad that it’s not. I like the direction they took with this much more than I thought I would. It actually sounds quite pop-rock and it’s got some pretty groovy production in the chorus. Shawn and Justin both sound fantastic and their voices actually blend pretty well together. I’m really excited for this song’s chart run and both of these albums. Great song.

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#14: Never the 1 - ROSIE

3 - Decent:
#13: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
#12: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#11: Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA

4 - Good:
#10: Fly Away - Tones And I
#9: Bummerland - AJR
#8: Goodbye - Shaylen
#7: Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito

5 - Great:
#6: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane
#5: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#4: Broke Boy - Malia Civetz
#3: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#2: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#1: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber

Overall Score: 57/75 (Hee hee, palindrome) = 76%

Prisoner, Prisoner, Blurbed Up Can’t Get You Off My Mind, Off My Mind

It was actually a pretty active week this week despite it being a short week. So there should be quite a few blurbs.

So our only exit this week was Be Happy. I liked this song although I never found it great, but I kind of wished that it did better here.

We also had a Hit-Bound exit this week, FRANCHISE. I’m quite sad that this flopped, as it was a good song and it would’ve been cool to see it on the Countdown. Also, it would’ve given both Travis Scott and Young Thug two songs on the Countdown this year. (Take What You Want and Go Crazy)

Lonely dropped a couple of spots this week. Meh. I honestly don’t care that much.

What You Know Bout Love actually jumped up to #22 this week, which is really surprising. It’s having a weird run.

Holy isn’t doing well, which sucks because it’s actually a hit.

Falling dropped out of the top 10. Hunh. Hopefully, this leaves soon, because I’m kind of sick of it.

Heather jumped? Really? This needs to leave soon.

What the heck? Why is Mood almost out of the top 10? It’s such a huge hit right now and it deserves to be spending at least its third week at #1 this week, not almost out of the top 10 entirely.

Both you broke me first and positions jumped into the top 10 this week. I’m super glad that these are here, especially the latter since I’ve been enjoying it A LOT lately.

Levitating swapped places with Small Talk!!! How could Hits 1 even let this happen? This is amazing!

Golden by Harry “The King of Hits 1” Stylesdropped? You mean… before it hit #1 for over five weeks in a row? This is practically unheard of.

So Save Myself is up at #3? Okay? I guess I’ll take it. There’s definitely better that could be here.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#2: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#3: positions - Ariana Grande
#4: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#5: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#6: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#7: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#8: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#11: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#12: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#13: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#14: Dynamite - BTS
#17: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#18: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#19: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#20: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#21: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#22: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#23: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee
#24: Bang! - AJR
#26: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#27: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#30: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#32: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#37: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#44: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#47: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#48: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#49: Adore You - Harry Styles
#51: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#52: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#58: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
#59: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#63: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen
#65: Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus
#77: Golden - Harry Styles
#83: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake
#84: Wishing Well - Juice WRLD
#87: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#88: Heather - Conan Gray
#94: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo
#96: Tap In - Saweetie

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#9: Golden - Harry Styles
#8: exile - Taylor Swift/Bon Iver
#7: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#6: Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez
#5: 100 Ways - Jackson Wang
#4: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#3: going out - ROLE MODEL
#2: Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo
#1: Midnight - Alesso/Liam Payne

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: Golden - Harry Styles
#9: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#8: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#7: Bang! - AJR
#6: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#5: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#4: positions - Ariana Grande
#3: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. Nice Post!

    Correction: You put Bang! in the Top 5 Oldest Songs in white. Fix it to green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Harry “The King of Hits 1” Styles" LOL

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also that picture of Shawn looks like the rest of his body doesn't exist 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. That's what happens when you try to be aesthetic.

      Delete
  4. First

    #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: ALONE AGAIN - THE WEEKND

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Go Crazy: 28 spins
    34+35: 25 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 23 spins
    Monster: 22 spins
    Bummerland: 19 spins
    Overwhelmed: 19 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 18 spins
    FRANCHISE: 18 spins
    Haunt You: 17 spins

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)