Saturday, November 21, 2020

Week of November 21, 2020 - Shawn Mendes (1)

Shawn Mendes (1)
It was a super eventful week this week. I wouldn’t necessarily say good, but any week where a One Direction member isn’t #1 is MUCH better than bad. So, here’s the long list of exits for this week:

Songs We’re Saying Goodbye To
Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo (#27) [#27] {4 weeks}
Mad at Disney - salem ilese (#25) [#21] {5 weeks}
Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (#24) [#24] {3 weeks}
I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth (#23) [#3] {23 weeks}
Kings & Queens - Ava Max (#21) [#2] {20 weeks}
Wildflower - 5 Seconds of Summer (#12) [#2] {12 weeks}

Last Week’s #1: Falling - Harry Styles (6)

#30: going out - ROLE MODEL (-) [#30] {3 weeks}
#29: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo (-3) [#26] {3 weeks}
#28: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (-8) [#20] {6 weeks}
#27: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (DEBUT) [5* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#26: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear (DEBUT) [5* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#25: WOW - Zara Larsson (DEBUT) [9** weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#24: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#23: Be Happy (Remix) - Dixie D’Amelio/blackbear/Lil Mosey (-5) [#18] {6 weeks}
#22: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#21: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#20: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney (+8) [#20] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#19: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We (+10) [#19] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#18: you broke me first - Tate McRae (-2) [#7] {8 weeks}
#17: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat (+5) [#17] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#16: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (+3) [#16] {9 weeks}
#15: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (-1) [#11] {17 weeks}
#14: Dynamite - BTS (+1) [#14] {8 weeks}
#13: Heather - Conan Gray (-6) [#6] {17 weeks}
#12: positions - Ariana Grande (-1) [#11] {4 weeks}
#11: Diamonds - Sam Smith (+6) [#11] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#10: Falling - Harry Styles (-9) [6 weeks at #1] {12 weeks}
#9: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (-1) [#8] {8 weeks}
#8: Save Myself - Ashe (+1) [#8] {10 weeks} *new peak*
#7: Bang! - AJR (-2) [#3] {14 weeks}
#6: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (+7) [#6] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#5: Small Talk - Niall Horan (+1) [#5] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#4: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (-) [#2] {13 weeks}
#3: Golden - Harry Styles (+7) [#3] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#2: Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear (-) [#2] {10 weeks}
#1: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (+2) [1st week at #1] {7 weeks} *new peak*

Last Year’s #1: Teeth - 5 Seconds of Summer [2/2 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Bummerland - AJR

The lowest debut this week is the second single from Justin Bieber’s upcoming untitled studio album. It’s called Lonely and he decided to collaborate with benny blanco and the uncredited FINNEAS on this song. I seriously don’t think benny blanco should be credited here, as he adds essentially nothing. I think this song’s kind of boring, although Justin definitely sounds decent in the verses. My main issue with this song is in the chorus when he’s singing “Loo-oo-oo-oo-oonely” and it actually sounds like he’s yodelling. Other than that, the lyrics are good and everything, but this still isn’t that great of a song.

So blackbear scores yet another song on the Weekend Countdown this week, despite this song getting little airplay this week. It’s Hate The Way with G-Eazy. I don’t really think that G-Eazy is that talented and his rapping has absolutely no tune to it and he’s essentially just talking. blackbear’s hook here is pretty good though and I really like it. It’s funny, there’s so much blackbear on Hits 1, but I still actually quite like his stuff. Overall, I still think this is good, but I think G-Eazy brings down the song a lot.

Wow, I actually can’t believe that this next song debuted. Yes, pun definitely intended. I’m talking about WOW by Zara Larsson, debuting at #25. I don’t really love this song. I definitely think Zara Larsson is talented and I really like her voice a lot. I think she does really well in the verses here. Key word being “verses”, because the drop is really bad. It was made by Marshmello and it’s pitched weirdly and has some weird bass effects. So yeah, I hope this doesn’t do well and it should’ve dropped out of Hit-Bound when it did.

Our fourth debut in a row is the first song from The Weeknd that I get to review today. It’s called Save Your Tears. This is not one of the strongest singles from After Hours. It’s the third 80s-sounding song released from that album and it’s definitely the worst. I find this song kind of boring and forgettable. He doesn’t sound fantastic in the chorus, but this is definitely more upbeat than his recent collaborations with Calvin Harris and Ariana Grande, so it’s better.

The second debut this week that only spent a week in Hit-Bound comes up next, HOLIDAY by Lil Nas X. I’m pretty sure I like this more than Panini now. I actually really like Lil Nas X’s rapping voice and here it’s definitely good. The chorus is really catchy and the production’s cool. Good song.

Our highest debut this week comes from Billie Eilish and this new one’s called Therefore I Am. Um… this isn’t absolutely horrible? It’s for sure not good though. The chorus is actually pretty solid and is pretty much on par with all the good girls go to hell. As for the verses, that’s a completely different story. She’s doing her whisper- uh… singing? No. Whisper-talking. Which I guess is technically just whispering. Okay, I’ve just confused myself now. Boy, I do that a lot.

Best Debut: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X

Biggest DROP!!!: Falling - Harry Styles (-9): Yaaaaaaaaay! We actually have a week where Harry Styles isn’t #1!!! This stayed at #1 for way too long and I’m glad it’s almost out of the top 10 entirely. Hopefully we get a couple of weeks before Golden hits #1.

Biggest Jump: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We (+10): Oh, that’s good! I didn’t expect this song to jump that much, but I’m super happy that it did and I hope it does really well here.

Countdown Ranking

0 - Crap:
#30: Heather - Conan Gray

1 - Bad:
#29: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#28: Golden - Harry Styles
#27: going out - ROLE MODEL
#26: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco

2 - Mediocre:
#25: Small Talk - Niall Horan
#24: WOW - Zara Larsson
#23: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney

3 - Decent:
#22: Save Myself - Ashe
#21: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#20: Falling - Harry Styles
#19: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd

4 - Good:
#18: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear
#17: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat
#16: Be Happy (Remix) - Dixie D’Amelio/blackbear/Lil Mosey
#15: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#14: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#13: Diamonds - Sam Smith

5 - Great:
#12: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo
#11: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#10: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#9: Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear
#8: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#7: Dynamite - BTS
#6: positions - Ariana Grande
#5: Bang! - AJR
#4: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#3: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#2: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Overall Score: 106/150 = 71%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Save Myself - Ashe & Monsters - All Time Low/blackbear {10 weeks}
#4: Falling - Harry Styles {12 weeks}
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior {13 weeks}
#2: Bang! - AJR {14 weeks}
#1: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid & Heather - Conan Gray {17 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: A Little Bit Yours - JP Saxe

My Favourite Song Last Year: Time - NF

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Truth Hurts - Lizzo

Most Missed Countdown Song: Play That Song - Train

Artist with the Most Songs on Hits 1: blackbear (4)

Hit-Bound
Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane [1]
Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV [4]
Goodbye - Shaylen [3]
Broke Boy - Malia Civetz [7*]
Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent [11*]
Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA [3]
Bummerland - AJR [7*]
FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. [9*]
Never the 1 - ROSIE [3]
34+35 - Ariana Grande [2]
Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd [1]
Fly Away - Tones And I [1]
Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito [1]
Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug [1; 2nd time*]
Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo [1; 2nd time]

Our first new song this week is by Clinton Kane. It's called Fix It to Break It and I like it. This song’s a bit slower, but it’s not boring, which is really good. The production actually evolves kind of nicely and I like Clinton Kane’s voice. I can definitely see this moving into green next week. I hope this debuts, but it doesn’t sound like the type of song that would.

I’m really excited that this next song is on Hit-Bound, Maluma’s Hawái, except a remix with The Weeknd. As I said yesterday, I wasn’t disappointed with The Weeknd’s performance here, because this was exactly what I was expecting. So I think The Weeknd actually added a lot to this song and I like Maluma’s voice. The song itself is pretty interesting and I like the chorus a lot. Even though I legit can’t understand any of it except for the stuff in the chorus and the word “Instagramo”.

So Tones And I brings a fourth song to Hits 1 this week. Will this be her second Countdown debut? No, definitely not. It’s probably gonna drop out of Hit-Bound like Bad Child and Ur So F**kInG cOoL. This is probably the worst out of all of her songs, but I still like it. I like her voice and I find it pretty cool, but the chorus here just doesn’t have much substance to it and the verses aren’t that interesting. That being said, it’s still a good song.

If anybody remembers Undrunk from last year, the artist from that song, FLETCHER, scores another song on Hits 1 this week. It’s called Bitter and it’s with Kito, who I think did the production here. They said that this was the Trevor Daniel remix, but they just played the original song, so it may switch in the next couple of weeks, but I don’t know. This is a good song. I definitely don’t think FLETCHER sounds nearly as good as she did in Undrunk, but the production here is cool and she definitely doesn’t sound bad. I don’t really like when it goes: “I’m bitter- I’m bitter- I’m bitter- I’m bitter” but it’s still a good song. (Also, don't judge how much I like this song based on where I ranked it on Hunter's rankdown. Just putting that out there.)

Both Go Crazy and Haunt You left the Countdown and went to Hit-Bound this week. I’m sad that Go Crazy didn’t stick around for too long and I really hope that it re-enters the Countdown soon. As for Haunt You, I find it funny how it left the Countdown as soon as they stopped pushing it and that shouldn’t have happened to Let There Be Love.

Best Debut: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#14: Never the 1 - ROSIE

3 - Decent:
#13: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
#12: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#11: Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA

4 - Good:
#10: Fly Away - Tones And I
#9: Bummerland - AJR
#8: Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito
#7: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane
#6: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
#5: Goodbye - Shaylen

5 - Great:
#4: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#3: Broke Boy - Malia Civetz
#2: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

Overall Score: 55/75 = 73%

Save Your Blurbs for Another Day

Our exits other than the two I already talked about this week are: Mad at Disney, I Hope, Kings & Queens and Wildflower. I’m kind of sad that Mad at Disney left, but it was admittedly kind of forgettable, so it makes sense why it’s gone. As for the other three, they were all old, so I’m not disappointed.

Both Take You Dancing and What You Know Bout Love fell to the bottom three this week and I think both of them deserve to be much higher than that.

Okay, why is Put Your Records On actually becoming a hit? Does anybody actually like this song because I really don’t understand the appeal.

Yay, Heather is starting to drop! This stayed for way too long and should’ve left many months ago.

Diamonds is actually close to the top 10 and I’m happy, but this song is starting to fade on me. I just don’t like it as much as I used to.

Levitating is actually really close to the top 5 and I seriously hope that this can make it to #1, but I bet it’ll just be blocked by Golden.

Speaking of Golden, does this really need to be at #3? This makes more sense than Falling, as this is actually a single, but seriously? This is just way too much.

Our new #1 this week is Wonder by Shawn Mendes. Alright, it’s better than Harry Styles. It’s definitely not the best song in the top 10 right now, Mood should be #1 for many reasons, but I’ll take this instead.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#2: positions - Ariana Grande
#3: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#4: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#5: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#6: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#7: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#9: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#12: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#13: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#14: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#15: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#16: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#17: Dynamite - BTS
#18: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#20: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#21: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#23: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee
#24: Bang! - AJR
#25: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#26: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#28: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#30: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#32: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#38: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello
#40: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#43: Adore You - Harry Styles
#44: Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus
#46: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek
#49: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#50: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#55: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
#60: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#63: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen
#64: POPSTAR - DJ Khaled/Drake
#70: Wishing Well - Juice WRLD
#78: Golden - Harry Styles
#79: Heather - Conan Gray
#82: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#86: Tap In - Saweetie
#94: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#96: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: Mind Is A Prison - Alec Benjamin
#9: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat
#8: KIngs & Queens - Ava Max
#7: Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez
#6: Teeth - 5 Seconds of Summer
#5: Toosie Slide - Drake
#4: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#3: Save Myself - Ashe
#2: Old Me - 5 Seconds of Summer
#1: Diamonds - Sam Smith

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: Golden - Harry Styles
#9: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#8: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#7: Bang! - AJR
#6: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#5: positions - Ariana Grande
#4: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#3: Dynamite - BTS
#2: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all later.

27 comments:

  1. First


    #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: MOREE THAN MY HOMETOWN - MORGAN WALLEN


    I LOVE MTMH IT IS REALLY GOOD. BTW NICE POST BELUGA

    ReplyDelete
  2. On Maluma's song Hawai, how did you get the ' up on the a?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy/paste. I write my Countdown posts in docs too, so I did a find and replace with Hawai and Hawái.

      Delete
  3. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Haunt You: 34 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 33 spins
    Go Crazy: 28 spins
    34+35: 24 spins
    FRANCHISE: 23 spins
    Overwhelmed: 21 spins
    Bummerland: 20 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 17 spins
    Monster: 11 spins
    Prisoner: 11 spins
    Never the 1: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post!

    I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶H̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶1̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶d̶k̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 35 spins
    Go Crazy: 29 spins
    FRANCHISE: 25 spins
    Haunt You: 25 spins
    Overwhelmed: 22 spins
    34+35: 22 spins
    Bummerland: 20 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 18 spins
    Monster: 11 spins
    Prisoner: 11 spins
    Never the 1: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://wafflescountdownreviews.blogspot.com/2020/11/shawn-mendes-1-week-of-november-21-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 37 spins
    Go Crazy: 28 spins
    FRANCHISE: 25 spins
    34+35: 21 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 20 spins
    Overwhelmed: 20 spins
    Bummerland: 19 spins
    Haunt You: 16 spins
    Prisoner: 15 spins
    Monster: 12 spins
    Never the 1: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just did a Hits 1 survey!

    Countdown Songs They Didn't Ask About:
    Heather - Conan Gray
    Falling - Harry Styles
    Bang! - AJR

    Hit-Bound Songs They Asked About:
    Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
    Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA
    Bummerland - AJR
    FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
    34+35 - Ariana Grande
    Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito
    Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
    Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also asked about Head & Heart, Control and Laugh Now Cry Later.

      Delete
  9. Is anybody else surprised that The Weeknd didn't get nominated for anything for the Grammys this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, considering last year’s travesty, no. I’m just disappointed.

      Delete
    2. I feel like someone who had a decent year and winning big is less shocking than someone who had an amazing year and didn't get nominated for anything. But that's just my opinion.

      Delete
    3. And yeah, I also agree that Billie Eilish sweeping the Grammys was a travesty. Just not too surprising.

      Delete
  10. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 32 spins
    Go Crazy: 29 spins
    34+35: 24 spins
    FRANCHISE: 23 spins
    Prisoner: 22 spins
    Bummerland: 20 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 19 spins
    Overwhelmed: 19 spins
    Haunt You: 16 spins
    Monster: 15 spins

    ReplyDelete
  11. Predictions for Exits:

    Heather
    Bang!
    Falling

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looked up xmplaylist and something funny happened, Modern Loneliness played one time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Same as Falling by Trevor Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Prisoner: 33 spins
    Go Crazy: 29 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 27 spins
    34+35: 25 spins
    Bummerland: 20 spins
    FRANCHISE: 20 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 19 spins
    Overwhelmed: 19 spins
    Monster: 19 spins
    Haunt You: 15 spins

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sad news: Holiday is in the bottom spot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hitbound List:

    Role Model - Going Out (One To Watch)
    ROSIE - Never The 1
    Internet Money/Don Toliver/Gunna/Nav - Lemonade
    Tones & I - Fly Away
    MAX/Suga of BTS - Blueberry Eyes
    Maluma/The Weeknd - Hawai (Remix)
    Clinton Kane - Fix It To Break It
    X-Lovers/Chloe Moriondo - Haunt You
    Ariana Grande - 34+35
    Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber - Monster (Debut)
    Fletcher/Kito - Bitter
    AJR - Bummerland
    Shaylen - Goodbye
    Malia Civetz - Broke Boy
    Royal & The Serpent - Overwhelmed
    Chris Brown/Young Thug - Go Crazy

    Potential Countdown Debuts/Re-entries/Hitbound Dropouts/Who TF knows:

    Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. - FRANCHISE
    Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa - Prisoner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ngl, I kinda forgot that the Countdown aired today, so there's gonna be a bit of a weird order this week. Hunger Games Countdown, If the Countdown Made Sense and my Weekend Countdown post will all come out today. My Hot 100 post for this week will come out at its normally scheduled time tomorrow, then you should be able to vote for Callout Scores either Friday or Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)