Friday, November 13, 2020

Hot 100 Top 40: Week of November 14, 2020 - 24kGoldn/iann dior (3)

24kGoldn/iann dior (3)
So you're probably gonna see a lot of Ariana Grande in this post. Yeah, I think that's good for an intro.

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
Rags2Riches - Rod Wave/ATR Son Son (#40) [#12] {11 weeks} [x2]
Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek (#39) [#4] {31 weeks}
Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (#38) [#2] {46 weeks}
Tyler Herro - Jack Harlow (#34) [#34] {1 week}
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac (#33) [1 week at #1] {17 weeks} [x2]
Better Together - Luke Combs (#30) [#30] {1 week}
Circles - Post Malone (#18) [3 weeks at #1] {61 weeks}

Last Week's #1: positions - Ariana Grande (1)

#40: pov - Ariana Grande (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#39: The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch (-4) [#11] {16 weeks}
#38: Pretty Heart - Parker McCollum (DEBUT) [5 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#37: Adore You - Harry Styles (-6) [#6] {47 weeks}
#36: ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson (-) [#36] {3 weeks}
#35: off the table - Ariana Grande/The Weeknd (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#34: Love You Like I Used To - Russell Dickerson (+3) [#34] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#33: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (-1) [#18] {5 weeks}
#32: motive - Ariana Grande/Doja Cat (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#31: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello (-7) [#2] {17 weeks}
#30: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (-1) [#25] {5 weeks}
#29: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (DEBUT) [3 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#28: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean (-7) [#16] {11 weeks}
#27: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (-1) [#17] {10 weeks}
#26: Bang! - AJR (+2) [#26] {7 weeks}
#25: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (-) [#25] {6 weeks}
#24: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne (-4) [#2] {30 weeks}
#23: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen (-) [#23] {8 weeks}
#22: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (-3) [#19] {13 weeks}
#21: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (+6) [#14] {3 weeks}
#20: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (-3) [#17] {6 weeks}
#19: Kings & Queens - Ava Max (+3) [#19] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#18: Forever After All - Luke Combs (-16) [#2] {2 weeks}
#17: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (-2) [1 week at #1] {23 weeks}
#16: Dynamite - BTS (-4) [3 weeks at #1] {11 weeks}
#15: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (+1) [#9] {22 weeks}
#14: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-1) [#9] {26 weeks}
#13: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch (-2) [7 weeks at #1] {29 weeks}
#12: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby (+2) [#6] {18 weeks}
#11: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (-1) [#3] {7 weeks}
#10: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (-3) [4 weeks at #1] {13 weeks}
#9: Dakiti - Bad Bunny/Jhay Cortez (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#8: 34+35 - Ariana Grande (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#7: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV (+2) [#7] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#6: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo (+2) [1 week at #1] {19 weeks}
#5: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth (+1) [#5] {34 weeks} *new peak*
#4: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (+1) [4 weeks at #1] {45 weeks}
#3: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk (+1) [#2] {12 weeks}
#2: positions - Ariana Grande (-1) [1 week at #1] {2 weeks}
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (+2) [3rd week at #1] {12 weeks}

Last Year's #1: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi [2/3 weeks at #1]

Alright, so let's talk about Ariana Grande for a bit. This week, she dropped an album titled Positions, and most of the songs will pop up in this post. Mind you, not all of them, because this wasn't nearly as big of an album as thank u, next or Sweetener. But a good chunk of them. My opinion on the album? Meh. Most of the songs sounded the same and I honestly couldn't for the life of me tell you what song I was listening to whilst listening to the album. That being said, there were still some good songs that definitely stood out from the rest, the first one I have to review here actually being my personal favourite from the album, pov. This is a ballad and I think Ariana just kills it here. The intervals in the chorus are actually my favourite part and I'm honestly not sure why. Ari sounds fantastic with the song and the production's interesting enough to hold up this song. But yeah, Ariana sounds fantastic in the chorus and this is just a great song. I'm happy it made it to the Top 40 if only for a week and also only at #40.

We're gonna take a small break from Ariana Grande to talk about Parker McCollum and his song Pretty Heart next. This has definitely faded on me. Not too much, as it can still hold its blue, but it's definitely faded. I love the melody here, but I don't think Parker McCollum delivers the song all that well. That being said, I definitely have a bias against country singer's voices and he's definitely one of the better country singers, but his voice still isn't that great.

Okay, back to Ariana Grande. (Weird sighing noise that definitely means that I don't want to talk about this but I have to) I'm so disappointed right now. Ariana decided to collaborate with The Weeknd in this next song off the table. If you've heard ANY of their previous collaboration, Love Me Harder, you'd know that it's an absolute bop. Which means this should be too. But, because Ariana decided to go with the slow, R&B, violins-type music in this album, that means that this is slow, underwhelming The Weeknd, like he sounds in Over Now. Which is to say, I'm SO DISAPPOINTED and I'm VERY upset that this wasn't in the least bit upbeat. The Weeknd needs to release something upbeat before I get over him. (If you've been following his singles, you'd know that he released a couple songs and I'll be reviewing both of them somewhat soon. Fingers crossed).

So this next Ariana Grande song is called motive and it's actually somewhat upbeat! Ariana sounds pretty good and the production's good and I like the sound of this song. But for some reason, Ariana Grande decided that this would be the best song to feature Doja Cat in. She brings down the song so much and this is easily one of the worst rapping verses I've heard from her. She doesn't fit here at all and should stick to more upbeat songs like Like That or Baby, I'm Jealous.

Well, THIS took way too long. For some reason, Levitating by Dua Lipa and DaBaby is just making its debut in the Top 40 this week. That being said, it already jumped into the top 30, but I'm just slightly confused why this didn't have a bigger release week. Whatever. This is still a fantastic song, both artists here sound great, DaBaby adds a great verse that makes the song feel very fresh and a lot less like her previous singles. I hope this does well. Great song.

Next, debuting in the top 10 this week is Dakiti by Bad Bunny and Jhay Cortez. Um... this is kind of good? I definitely don't like Jhay Cortez's voice that much here, but if I'm being honest, that's kind of the only thing I can find wrong about this song. The production's actually really cool and I think the chorus works surprisingly well with it. The verses are pretty solid and I'm quite surprised that I like this as much as I do.

Yeah, so Ariana Grande's pushing this next song as a single already. It's 34+35. Before I say anything too negative about this song, I wanna say that this is one of the most upbeat songs on the album, so I definitely give it props for that. All that being said, this song is definitely one of her least strong singles. The chorus is low-key kind of annoying and I think she's singing a little too high. Also, the lyrical content is a bit odd. I mean, if you can add the two numbers in the title, you should probably figure it out. Also, she just straight-up says what it means at the end, which um... okay? I think we all understood that?

Best Debut: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby

Biggest DROP!!!: Forever After All - Luke Combs (-16): Yeah, I expected nothing more from this song and I now realize that Better Together is better and this is only okay.

Biggest Jump: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (+6): Okay, hunh? This might actually be a hit despite being probably the weakest Justin Bieber single of all time, especially considering he normally has such fun and upbeat songs.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: pov - Ariana Grande
#4: Dynamite - BTS
#3: Bang! - AJR
#2: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo
#4: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee
#3: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen
#2: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean
#1: Adore You - Harry Styles

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#20: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo

2 - Mediocre:
#19: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion

3 - Decent:
#18: Forever After All - Luke Combs
#17: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#16: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#15: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#14: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi

4 - Good:
#13: Dakiti - Bad Bunny/Jhay Cortez
#12: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#11: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#10: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby

5 - Great:
#9: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#8: positions - Ariana Grande
#7: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#6: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#5: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#4: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#2: Dynamite - BTS
#1: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV

Overall Score: 79/100 = 79%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch {29 weeks}
#4: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne {30 weeks}
#3: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth {34 weeks}
#2: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd {45 weeks}
#1: Adore You - Harry Styles {47 weeks}

On the Verge
Better Together - Luke Combs (#41) [1; 2nd time]
just like magic - Ariana Grande (#43) [1]
Diamonds - Sam Smith (#45) [5]
Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani (#46) [7]
shut up - Ariana Grande (#47) [1]
nasty - Ariana Grande (#49) [1]
Everywhere But On - Matt Stell (#51) [3]
safety net - Ariana Grande/Ty Dolla $ign (#52) [1]
Tyler Herro - Jack Harlow (#54) [1; 2nd time*]
Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake (#55) [3; 2nd time*]
Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers (#57) [2; 2nd time]
I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay (#58) [12]
FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (#59) [2; 2nd time*]
Hawái - Maluma (#60) [8]
you broke me first - Tate McRae (#61) [6]

A couple songs left the Top 40 and went to On the Verge this week, Better Together and Tyler Herro. If I'm being honest, I'd like both of these songs to re-enter. They're both pretty solid.

Okay, back to Ariana Grande for four songs. This first song is just like magic and this is alright. It's upbeat and probably one of the best songs from her that I've reviewed today. She sounds good, the production's alright. Yeah, not much else to say.

This next Grande song is called shut up and this is one of the worst songs from the album. The production and stuff is fine, but the chorus is SO ANNOYING. I hate it when she's singing "shuuuuuut uuuuuup" and it just sounds so annoying. That being said, the verses are still solid, so it's mediocre.

nasty is the next Ariana Grande song and this one's pretty boring. The song as a whole is fine and the production's alright, there's just not much substance. Next.

Ty Dolla $ign features on this next Ariana Grande song, safety net. This isn't as boring as off the table, but geez, this is really uninteresting. It's extremely forgettable and the chorus is weird. Ty sounds alright, but it doesn't really make the song any more memorable.

Maluma re-enters On the Verge this week as Hawái comes back. Expect this to hit the Top 40 next week, because The Weeknd remixed it.

Best Debut: just like magic - Ariana Grande

On the Verge Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#15: Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani

2 - Mediocre:
#14: shut up - Ariana Grande
#13: Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers
#12: safety net - Ariana Grande/Ty Dolla $ign

3 - Decent:
#11: Everywhere But On - Matt Stell
#10: nasty - Ariana Grande
#9: Better Together - Luke Combs
#8: just like magic - Ariana Grande

4 - Good:
#7: Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake
#6: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#5: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.
#4: Hawái - Maluma

5 - Great:
#3: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#2: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#1: Tyler Herro - Jack Harlow

Overall Score: 50/75 = 67%

Come On Dance with Me, I'm Blurb-itating

So our other exits this week are: Rags2Riches by Rod Wave and ATR Son Son, Roses by SAINt JHN and Imanbek, Don't Start Now by Dua Lipa, Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Circles by Post Malone. I'm not surprised whatsoever that Rags2Riches left, Roses and Don't Start Now stayed for MUCH longer than I thought that they would, Dreams didn't stay here for as long as I thought it would, but I can't say I'm disappointed? As for Circles, oh my gosh, the longevity is insane. I'm glad it stayed for as long as it did, since it's a great song but it stayed for way too long that it actually became the song that had the second-longest run on the Hot 100 at 61 weeks. #1 is still held by my favourite artists, Imagine Dragons and Radioactive, which I'm happy about. Glad this didn't break it, but glad it almost broke it.

The On the Verge exits this week are: 24 by Money Man and Lil Baby, Spicy by Ty Dolla $ign and Post Malone, my ex's best friend by Machine Gun Kelly and blackbear, 7 Summers by Morgan Wallen and Runnin by 21 Savage and Metro Boomin. I'm kind of sad that 24 didn't debut, as it was good. Spicy was great and should've debuted, my ex's best friend was good too, but 7 Summers and Runnin were bad, so I'm glad they're gone.

There wasn't too much to comment on due to the album bomb this week, since most of the songs dropped, so I think I'm gonna comment on all of the songs that actually managed to jump.

Love You Like I Used To jumped a few spots this week, which is good since it's one of the best country songs I've heard in awhile.

Bang! also managed to jump this week and I'm really happy about that. I find it insane that AJR managed to actually get a decently-sized hit.

Another song that jumped this week was Kings & Queens. I'm glad this is becoming a late hit even if I'm getting a little tired of it.

For The Night looks like it's about to enter the top 10 again, which is surprising, but definitely welcome.

...And, Lemonade continues to jump and I'm super happy about that and I really hope that it hits #1.

Hot 100 Exits from Past Top 40/On the Verge Songs
Circles - Post Malone (#18) [3 weeks at #1] {61 weeks}
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac (#33) [1 week at #1] {23 weeks}
Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (#38) [#2] {52 weeks}
Spicy - Ty Dolla $ign/Post Malone (#53) [#53] {1 week}
The Bigger Picture - Lil Baby (#82) [#3] {20 weeks}
Whole Lotta Choppas (Remix) - Sada Baby/Nicki Minaj (#88) [#35] {3 weeks}
You're Mines Still - Yung Bleu/Drake (#89) [#52] {2 weeks}
GREECE - DJ Khaled/Drake (#91) [#8] {15 weeks}
Do It - Chloe x Halle (#95) [#63] {11 weeks}
cardigan - Taylor Swift (#96) [1 week at #1] {14 weeks}
forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey (#97) [#44] {3 weeks}

Okay, let's get started on this whopping list. I already talked about Circles, Dreams, Don't Start Now and Spicy. I think The Bigger Picture deserved to stay a bit higher for a bit longer, since it's one of Lil Baby's best, but whatever, I'm glad it at least stayed on the chart for this long and at this point, with a #3 peak, it'll probably make it on the Year-End list. Whole Lotta Choppas, You're Mines Still, GREECE and Do It were all extremely forgettable and if you asked me to recall what any of them sounded like I probably couldn't tell you. cardigan should've been a bigger hit, it got kind of robbed and I'm glad I got to review forget me too even if I only reviewed it because of an album release.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. Hitbound List:

    X-Lovers/Chloe Moriondo - Haunt You (One To Watch)
    Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am (Debut)
    Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. - FRANCHISE
    Ariana Grande - 34+35 (Debut)
    G-Eazy/blackbear - Hate The Way
    Zara Larsson - WOW
    Justin Bieber/Benny Blanco - Lonely
    AJR - Bummerland
    The Weeknd - Save Your Tears (Debut)
    Shaylen - Goodbye
    MAX/Suga of BTS - Blueberry Eyes
    Lil Nas X - Holiday (Debut)
    ROSIE - Never The 1
    Malia Civetz - Broke Boy
    Internet Money/Don Toliver/Gunna/Nav - Lemonade
    Royal & The Serpent - Overwhelmed

    Potential Countdown Debuts/Re-entries/Hitbound Dropouts/Who TF knows:

    Sigala/James Arthur - Lasting Lover
    Drake/Lil Durk - Laugh Now Cry Later
    Ritt Momney - Put Your Records On
    Why Don't We - Fallin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. November Hits 1 to Watch = ROLE MODEL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, but it makes sense. going out's climbing rapidly in airplay and it held at #30 this week.

      Delete
    2. November one to watch: Harry Styles

      Delete
    3. Please tell me you're joking.

      Delete
    4. I feel like it should be obvious I am with how much they've stanned him this year lol.

      Delete
    5. I hope you didn't take my comment as rude or anything. Sometimes I forget most of you guys here haven't interacted with me on discord to know my sense of humor.

      Delete
    6. It's fine. I just got scared because you've kind of been an insider source.

      Delete
  3. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 27 spins
    Lonely: 26 spins
    FRANCHISE: 23 spins
    Overwhelmed: 20 spins
    Bummerland: 16 spins
    Hate The Way: 15 spins
    34+35: 13 spins
    Save Your Tears: 11 spins

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)