Friday, November 20, 2020

Hot 100 Top 40: Week of November 21, 2020 - 24kGoldn/iann dior (4)

24kGoldn/iann dior (4)
There wasn't that much movement this week, which is a little weird since we're just coming off of an album bomb. There was a lot of new songs though. Not really any huge releases, but a good chunk of On the Verge debuts. Enjoy!

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
pov - Ariana Grande (#40) [#40] {1 week}
The Woo - Pop Smoke/50 Cent/Roddy Ricch (#39) [#11] {16 weeks} [x3]
Adore You - Harry Styles (#37) [#6] {47 weeks}
off the table - Ariana Grande/The Weeknd (#35) [#35] {1 week}
motive - Ariana Grande/Doja Cat (#32) [#32] {1 week}

Last Week's #1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (3)

#40: Diamonds - Sam Smith (DEBUT) [5 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#39: Better Together - Luke Combs (RE-ENTRY) [#30] {2 weeks}
#38: Come & Go - Juice WRLD/Marshmello (-7) [#2] {18 weeks}
#37: Pretty Heart - Parker McCollum (+1) [#37] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#36: Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani (DEBUT) [7 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#35: What That Speed Bout!? - Mike WiLL Made-It/Nicki Minaj/YoungBoy Never Broke Again (DEBUT) [0 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#34: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean (-6) [#16] {12 weeks}
#33: ONE BEER - HARDY/Lauren Alaina/Devin Dawson (+3) [#33] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#32: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (+1) [#18] {6 weeks}
#31: Love You Like I Used To - Russell Dickerson (+3) [#31] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#30: 34+35 - Ariana Grande (-22) [#8] {2 weeks}
#29: One Of Them Girls - Lee Brice (-2) [#17] {11 weeks}
#28: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (+2) [#25] {6 weeks}
#27: Forever After All - Luke Combs (-9) [#2] {3 weeks}
#26: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (+3) [#26] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#25: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby (-1) [#2] {31 weeks}
#24: Bang! - AJR (+2) [#24] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#23: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee (+2) [#23] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#22: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo (-2) [#17] {7 weeks}
#21: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (-) [#14] {4 weeks}
#20: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (+2) [#19] {14 weeks}
#19: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen (+4) [#19] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#18: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (-1) [1 week at #1] {24 weeks}
#17: Dynamite - BTS (-1) [3 weeks at #1] {12 weeks}
#16: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-2) [#9] {27 weeks}
#15: Kings & Queens - Ava Max (+4) [#15] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#14: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch (-1) [7 weeks at #1] {30 weeks}
#13: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (+2) [#9] {23 weeks}
#12: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd (DEBUT) [8 weeks On the Verge] {1 week}
#11: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion (-1) [4 weeks at #1] {14 weeks}
#10: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby (+2) [#6] {19 weeks}
#9: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo (-3) [1 week at #1] {20 weeks}
#8: Dakiti - Bad Bunny/Jhay Cortez (+1) [#8] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#7: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (+4) [#3] {8 weeks}
#6: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV (+1) [#6] {10 weeks} *new peak*
#5: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (-1) [4 weeks at #1] {46 weeks}
#4: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk (-1) [#2] {13 weeks}
#3: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth (+2) [#3] {35 weeks} *new peak*
#2: positions - Ariana Grande (-) [1 week at #1] {3 weeks}
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (-) [4th week at #1] {13 weeks}

Last Year's #1: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi [3/3 weeks at #1]

Surprisingly, Diamonds by Sam Smith debuts the Top 40 a week after their album release. I find that a bit odd, but I guess it's getting traction. I've kind of lost a bit of interest in this song and you'll likely see this sink to blue around this time next week. It's good, the production's still good and Sam still sounds good, I've just heard it a little too much and don't like it as much.

Better Together by Luke Combs re-entered the Top 40 this week for its second week in the Top 40. Not surprised that this came back, as it only sank to #41 last week with the album bomb.

After a while of being On the Verge, Happy Anywhere by Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani debuts this week. Oof, this shrank on me a lot since I first reviewed it. Again, I don't really like country artists' voices and Blake Shelton is definitely no exception. The production pretty much doesn't exist and overall this is just really boring. Yeah, I hope this doesn't do well.

So next is a brand new song from Mike WiLL Made-It, Nicki Minaj and YoungBoy Never Broke Again. This is called What That Speed Bout!? and this is actually quite good. Mostly just YoungBoy, as I really like his voice here and it works really well with Mike WiLL's production. I'm still not a fan of Nicki Minaj, but she doesn't sound terrible here. Overall, pretty good song.

So Hawái by Maluma's been in and out of On the Verge for a while now and it's just now entering the Top 40 at #12 entirely due to a remix by The Weeknd. Personally, I think this is better than the original. The song itself is kind of slow, but I think I like The Weeknd with it, because that's exactly what I was expecting, (tbc)

Best Debut: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd

Biggest DROP!!!: 34+35 - Ariana Grande (-22): Don't tell me you didn't see this coming, because that's just not possible.

Biggest Jump: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen, Kings & Queens - Ava Max & Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (+4): It sucks that More Than My Hometown is in the top 20, as it's not good. I'm really happy to see Kings & Queens getting success and I'm for sure happy that Holy is back in the top 10.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: Bang! - AJR
#4: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#3: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#2: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: Happy Anywhere - Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani
#4: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee
#3: Said Sum - Moneybagg Yo
#2: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen
#1: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#20: More Than My Hometown - Morgan Wallen

2 - Mediocre:
#19: WAP - Cardi B/Megan Thee Stallion

3 - Decent:
#18: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#17: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#16: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#15: Kings & Queens - Ava Max

4 - Good:
#14: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#13: Dakiti - Bad Bunny/Jhay Cortez
#12: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#11: For The Night - Pop Smoke/Lil Baby/DaBaby

5 - Great:
#10: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#9: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#8: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#7: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#6: positions - Ariana Grande
#5: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#4: Dynamite - BTS
#3: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#2: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Overall Score: 81/100 = 81%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi {27 weeks}
#4: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch {30 weeks}
#3: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne {31 weeks}
#2: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth {35 weeks}
#1: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd {46 weeks}

Artist with the Most Songs on This Post: DaBaby (4)

On the Verge
pov - Ariana Grande (#45) [1; 2nd time*]
Took Her To The O - King Von (#47) [1]
Starting Over - Chris Stapleton (#48) [2]
I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay (#49) [13]
you broke me first - Tate McRae (#50) [7]
Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake (#52) [4; 2nd time*]
Everywhere But On - Matt Stell (#54) [4]
FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. (#55) [3; 2nd time*]
Big, Big Plans - Chris Lane (#56) [1]
Tyler Herro - Jack Harlow (#57) [2; 2nd time*]
Ain't Always The Cowboy - Jon Pardi (#58) [1]
SO DONE - The Kid LAROI (#59) [1]
my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (#60) [5; 2nd time]
B.S. - Jhené Aiko/H.E.R. (#61) [1; 2nd time]
Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers (#62) [3; 2nd time]

pov by Ariana Grande only fell to On the Verge this week and I'm very happy that this isn't gone and the USA realized that this is better than motive and off the table.

Our first actual new song is Took Her To The O by King Von. Eh. I don't love this. King Von's voice is a little weird and I don't like how a new line starts before the current one even ends at some times. The production's alright, but King Von's yelling really just distracts from it.

Starting Over by Chris Stapleton re-entered On the Verge this week and since it's been a while since I reviewed this, I figured I'd review it again. I still don't really like this, but I like it more than I did a while ago. I still think it's kind of boring and I don't think Chris Stapleton's voice works that well with it. However, I just have those opinions, but just a bit less than last time.

Next up is Big, Big Plans by Chris Lane. I'm kind of done with country right now. The chorus here is fine, but I don't love his voice and it's kind of boring. Yeah. Next.

Oh no, back please. Another country song is next and it's called Ain't Always The Cowboy by Jon Pardi. I'll keep this short. Same issues as the last two songs, but Jon Pardi's voice sounds really bad.

I've reviewed The Kid LAROI a couple times now, both times with Juice WRLD, so this would be the first time I'm reviewing one of his solo songs. It's called SO DONE and it debuts On the Verge this week. The chorus here is honestly quite good and I quite like the production. The second verse is especially good as LAROI shows some pretty good technicality, although it's pretty obvious he took multiple takes to do it. Overall, this is a blue because I'm not totally in love with his voice and it's a little raspy. Good song, though.

my ex's best friend re-entered On the Verge this week. Good, I hope this re-enters the Top 40 soon.

So this next song actually debuted in the Top 40 a week or two before I started doing these posts, so this is actually the first time I'm hearing this song. It's B.S. by Jhené Aiko and H.E.R.. I'm pretty sure this only came back to here because a remix featuring Kehlani was released. I'm not a huge fan of R&B. Pretty much every R&B artist has a good voice, which is good, but I just find the genre kind of boring. This isn't really an exception. Both artists here sound good, but the production and the song as a whole are pretty underwhelming.

Best Debut: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI

On the Verge Ranking

0 - Crap:
NONE!

1 - Bad:
#15: Ain't Always The Cowboy - Jon Pardi
#14: Starting Over - Chris Stapleton

2 - Mediocre:
#13: B.S. - Jhené Aiko/H.E.R.
#12: Some Girls - Jameson Rodgers
#11: Big, Big Plans - Chris Lane
#10: Took Her To The O - King Von

3 - Decent:
#9: Everywhere But On - Matt Stell

4 - Good:
#8: Mr. Right Now - 21 Savage/Metro Boomin/Drake
#7: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI
#6: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#5: FRANCHISE - Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A.

5 - Great:
#4: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#3: Tyler Herro - Jack Harlow
#2: my ex's best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#1: pov - Ariana Grande

Overall Score: 49/75 = 65%

Hawái de Blurbione', Mis Fеlicitacione'

We lost a few other songs from the Top 40 other than pov this week. We also lost: The Woo by Pop Smoke, 50 Cent and Roddy Ricch, Adore You by Harry Styles, off the table by Ariana Grande and The Weeknd and motive by Ariana Grande and Doja Cat. I liked The Woo and I'm sad that it's probably gone for good now. Adore You was never good, so I'm really glad that it's gone and it shouldn't have stayed for so long. As for the two Ariana Grande songs, I definitely expected it.

Our On the Verge exits this week were: just like magic, shut up, nasty and safety net, all of which are by Ariana Grande and the last one featuring Ty Dolla $ign. Definitely expected this, surprised no other songs left.

Just six short things I want to touch on this week:

Come & Go should've been a bigger hit and I'm sad that it's in the bottom 5.

For The Night is back in the top 10, which is weird but welcome.

Dakiti jumped? Um... I guess I'll take it, but I'm super surprised.

How is Blinding Lights still in the top 5? What?

I forgot to mention that last week I Hope broke the record for the longest climb to the top 5 and I'm happy. It's at #3 now and if it doesn't hit #1 in the next couple of weeks, it's probably not going to.

Also, how is it possible that Mood is still growing on me? If you noticed, I have it in purple this week, because I just can't get enough of it.

That's it for the blurbs, see you guys soon.

Hot 100 Exits from Past Top 40/On the Verge Songs
shut up - Ariana Grande (#47) [#47] {1 week}
Thriller - Michael Jackson (#48) [#4] {20 weeks}
nasty - Ariana Grande (#49) [#49] {1 week}
Break My Heart - Dua Lipa (#50) [#13] {32 weeks}
safety net - Ariana Grande/Ty Dolla $ign (#52) [#52] {1 week}

Yeah, so just a bunch of Ariana Grande songs and I forgot to mention last week that Thriller re-entered last week because of Halloween. As for Break My Heart, it got old very quickly, but it was still a good song.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all tomorrow! (Shawn Mendes & Justin Bieber review coming up!!!)

10 comments:

  1. Nice post!

    If you’ve seen what’s now on Hit-Bound, you might know that someone in this community is going to be very happy lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hitbound List:

    Role Model - Going Out (One To Watch)
    Clinton Kane - Fix It To Break It (Debut)
    Internet Money/Don Toliver/Gunna/Nav - Lemonade
    Shaylen - Goodbye
    Malia Civetz - Broke Boy
    Royal & The Serpent - Overwhelmed
    MAX/Suga of BTS - Blueberry Eyes
    AJR - Bummerland
    Travis Scott/Young Thug/M.I.A. - FRANCHISE
    ROSIE - Never The 1
    Ariana Grande - 34+35
    Maluma/The Weeknd - Hawai (Remix) (Debut)
    Tones & I - Fly Away (Debut)
    Fletcher/Kito - Bitter (Debut)
    Chris Brown/Young Thug - Go Crazy (Debut)
    X-Lovers/Chloe Moriondo - Haunt You (Re-Entry)

    Potential Countdown Debuts/Re-entries/Hitbound Dropouts/Who TF knows:

    Billie Eilish - Therefore I Am
    G-Eazy/blackbear - Hate The Way
    Zara Larsson - WOW
    Justin Bieber/Benny Blanco - Lonely
    The Weeknd - Save Your Tears
    Lil Nas X - Holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all debuted.

      Delete
    2. NOOOOOOO WHY LONELY! I WAS WRONG!😢

      Delete
    3. Lonely whyyyyyyyyy! Btw do you guys hate that song ‘cause I do! And good news, Heather left the COUNTDOWN YAAAAYYY

      Delete
    4. Heather's actually at #13.

      Exits:
      Haunt You (#27)
      Mad at Disney (#25)
      Go Crazy (#24)
      I Hope (#23)
      Kings & Queens (#21)
      Wildflower (#12)

      Entrants:
      Lonely (#27)
      Hate The Way (#26)
      WOW (#25)
      Save Your Tears (#24)
      HOLIDAY (#22)
      Therefore I Am (#21)

      Delete
  3. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Haunt You: 45 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 31 spins
    34+35: 26 spins
    Go Crazy: 26 spins
    FRANCHISE: 21 spins
    Overwhelmed: 20 spins
    Bummerland: 20 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 14 spins
    Monster: 11 spins
    Prisoner: 11 spins
    Never the 1: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I know that go crazy and haunt you are back on the Hit-bound so the’re off the countdown

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)