Saturday, June 8, 2019

Album Review: Happiness Begins by the Jonas Brothers

You’re probably gonna see many more album reviews on my blog, and well, to start it all off, we have an album by the Jonas Brothers that surprised me a bit. Happiness Begins is an overall mellow album (aside from the first two songs) celebrating the big return of the Jonas Brothers. And well, yeah! Here we go!

Sucker

Ah, yes. The big return of the Jonas Brothers. This song was everything when it was first released. It’s still going strong on a bunch of radio stations but especially on Hits 1. Which overplays it way too much. For the song in general, it’s pretty good, but I feel like it was given more success than it deserved. I mean, it’s a great summer jam, and I’m glad it exists, but I just feel like it was overplayed into the point of no relevance.
6/10

Cool

This was the second single from this album following Sucker and it still hasn’t taken off. I feel like it’s just a cheap knock-off of Sucker. They feel almost identical, and it just kind of makes the song feel unoriginal and boring for a song off of this album.
4/10

Only Human

This is pretty much the last upbeat song on the album. That being said, this song is pretty good. The little jingle that plays at the beginning and through the song is really catchy. This whole song is really catchy. I don’t think it’s strong enough to be a single by itself, but I like it a good amount. This shows how they should make upbeat songs and release stuff like Cool.
7/10

I Believe

This is when I got surprised when first listening to the album to see that there could be mellow songs like this on an album with Sucker on it. This song sounds really good. The chorus is pretty good. The song itself isn’t that catchy, but that’s okay because this song marked the point where the album started to get really good. The last chorus sounds really good too.
7/10

Used To Be

This one is pretty good, I guess. The beat is okay. I like when in the chorus they all go at different pitches. I just find this song mediocre. It’s not as good as some of the following songs. It’s kind of boring and there’s just not much to talk about with this one.
6/10

Every Single Time
This one is pretty forgettable. I’ve listened to the album like three times and it still feels new every time I hear it. It’s again just kind of mediocre compared to songs like Don’t Throw It Away. But I mean, at least it’s not bad. It’s songs like these that just make the album near perfection because none of the songs are bad, and they just all follow the same vibe. (Except for Sucker and Cool.) I feel like it just helps make the album feel complete.
7/10

Don't Throw It Away
Best song on the album. Hands down. It’s super catchy and sounds really good in the chorus. This song is just a representation of the whole entire album. You could just listen to this song and really want to listen to the rest. I feel like this would make a really good single, and I’d love to see them release it.
10/10

Love Her
This song is really good and again just a really good representation of the album. This is also one of my favorites from the album. The chorus is really good and whoever is singing in the second verse sounds really good. The guitar in this song really helps make the song what it is. Just a really solid song.
9/10

Happy When I'm Sad
Correction: this is the last upbeat song on the album. I like it better than some of the first few, but it’s not as good as the last two. But, that’s okay because, in all honesty, I think they’re gonna release this one. And I’m okay with that, because it’s a good median between the first two and the last two that I reviewed.
8/10

Trust
Whoever is singing in the chorus does not sound like himself. But that’s okay, because it helps make the song what it is. This song is pretty good. Honestly, this whole album just took me by surprise, especially this one. But, I like it for that.
8/10

Strangers
Nick Jonas back when he was solo. This is what this song reminds me of. They probably came to some sort of compromise and decided to do a song like this. I don’t really hear the others and I can just pick out Nick and it makes me wonder if this was a Nick Jonas that the others just really liked. That being said, this song is pretty good, I liked Nick when he was solo, but it was just mediocre.
8/10

Hesitate
And this one reminds me of Shawn Mendes. But that’s okay! Because I like Shawn Mendes! This song is really beautiful though, and it was a really good addition to the album. Again, every song just flows together to make a really good album. This song is really awesome and they made a really good decision putting this in their album.
9/10

Rollercoaster
This is another really sweet song and- wait did they release it? I don’t know. Chase recommended it, so I’m not sure what that means. But, I feel like if they did release it, that was a really good idea because this song is a great replacement for Cool. This song is really good.
10/10

Comeback
This is another forgettable song that fits seamlessly into the album, which sounds weird, but makes sense if you listen to it. I honestly don’t remember much about it, so I can’t give a very detailed review of it, but I know it’s pretty good. It’s also a really good album closer and feels like it really wraps up the whole experience, which I just realized is the point of the song, so I’m bumping it up to a 8/10.
8/10

Ranking of the Album
#14: Cool
#13: Sucker
#12: Used To Be
#11: Every Single Time
#10: Only Human
#9: I Believe
#8: Happy When I'm Sad
#7: Trust
#6: Comeback
#5: Strangers
#4: Hesitate
#3: Love Her
#2: Rollercoaster
#1: Don't Throw It Away

2 comments:

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)