Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Album Review: TIM by Avicii

Recently, some people (not sure who) released a bunch of pre-recorded songs of Avicii’s after his tragic passing a few years ago. The album, TIM, has features from Aloe Blacc, Chris Martin and many others. Today, I will be reviewing that very same album in my second album review.

Peace Of Mind (feat. Vargas & Lagola)
For the album opener, I think this is a good kick-off. It gives you a lot of hype and really starts the adventure that is this album. Although, as a stand-alone single, I don’t really like it. It just seems kind of underwhelming. The vocals are not very good. The production is pretty good, but I just don’t feel like this song does very well by itself. But in the album, it fits really nicely.
5/10

Heaven
The uncredited Chris Martin from Coldplay handles the vocals on this track. I feel like this song is a really great tribute to Avicii. The production is spot-on and the vocals are really good because Chris Martin. This song stands alone really well and was #1 on Spotify for a pretty long time. This song envelops what Avicii was and what he will always be. It’s also really long. Which is really good because the song is great.
9/10

SOS (feat. Aloe Blacc)
This was the first single released from this album and it did okay for a little while before flopping everywhere. I feel like this collaboration was really supposed to be on the album since Wake Me Up with Aloe Blacc was Avicii’s biggest hit. This song is really good. I like the chorus a lot. It’s really catchy. I like whatever instrument is making the noise in the chorus. It fits really well with the song.
9/10

Tough Love (feat. Agnes, Vargas & Lagola)
The vocals here are really good compared to the first, but that’s because of Agnes. And I feel like there’s more singing. This song is pretty catchy and I love the (I want to say fiddle?) at the start. The beat works really well with the song and the vocals. I really like when their vocals overlap near the end. This song is really good and again just helps make the album.
8/10

Bad Reputation (feat. Joe Janiak)
This song isn’t really memorable. Joe’s vocals aren’t really all that memorable and this song just doesn’t really stand out in the album. The production isn’t as good and I know Avicii can do better. I mean, the song isn’t at all bad, it just doesn’t stand out.
6/10

Ain't A Thing (feat. Bonn)
Yes. I really like this. The vocals really stand out. But that’s the thing. I feel like the vocals stand out too much. There’s not much production here. I still really like it though. Bonn’s vocals are really good and the song itself is really catchy.
7.5/10

Hold The Line (feat. A R I Z O N A)
Not sure why your artist name would be Arizona with spaces but whatever. This song is also pretty good. The vocals are decent. The production in the chorus is breathtaking though. I just really like it for some reason and I want more of it. This song is really good. I feel like Avicii hit a home run with this one.
9/10

Freak (feat. Bonn)
The opening of this reminds me a lot of SOS, but that’s okay because SOS is spectacular. This song is really good and Bonn sounds really good and mixed with more production it just makes this much better than Ain’t A Thing. I feel like this is a big step up. It helps make the album what it is.
8/10

Excuse Me Mr. Sir (feat. Vargas & Lagola)
Geez. Avicii had a long session with these guys. I don’t really like the electronic vocals from them though. It just doesn’t seem great. I mean, it’s a bit better with Avicii, but the vocals just really bring this one down for me.
5/10

Heart Upon My Sleeve (feat. Imagine Dragons)
I really wanted to hear this one when I saw the song list and it did not disappoint. I was a little worried it wouldn’t feature the band at all, but it does. These guys do really well with DJs. This song is amazing and is so intense and I love it all. It really tells a story through the whole song. Dan Reynolds sounds really good as usual, and the whole thing is just really good.
10/10

Never Leave Me (feat. Joe Janiak)
This song is better than Bad Reputation. The chorus is really good and it’s a lot more memorable. However, his voice still isn’t very memorable and that’s my issue with these songs with him. I just find the vocals underwhelming. To make a good EDM track, you need a good vocalist.
7/10

Fades Away (feat. Noonie Bao)
This is a really good closer to the album. I like how it starts off really quiet and gets bigger through the song. I love album closers that actually manage to be just that: an album closer. It feels more like an experience than it does just songs.
9/10

Album Ranking
#12: Peace Of Mind (feat. Vargas & Lagola)
#11: Excuse Me Mr Sir (feat. Vargas & Lagola)
#10: Bad Reputation (feat. Joe Janiak)
#9: Never Leave Me (feat. Joe Janiak)
#8: Ain't A Thing (feat. Bonn)
#7: Freak (feat. Bonn)
#6: Tough Love (feat. Agnes, Vargas & Lagola)
#5: Hold The Line (feat. A R I Z O N A)
#4: Fades Away (feat. Noonie Bao)
#3: SOS (feat. Aloe Blacc)
#2: Heaven
#1: Heart Upon My Sleeve (feat. Imagine Dragons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)