Friday, May 14, 2021

New Music Friday: Olivia Rodrigo, Katy Perry & More!

New Music Friday: May 14, 2021

Hey guys! I'm back with another edition of New Music Friday. Last week, I featured four brand new songs and my pick of the week, so today, I'll be doing that again. Once again, the song titles are links to the songs themselves on YouTube.

Our first new song comes from Olivia Rodrigo, who's debut album, SOUR will be released next Friday. She's already brought us two singles from that album, drivers license and deja vu, and now she's releasing the third single, good 4 u. Have a listen below.

good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo

I really wasn't sure what to expect with another song from Olivia, as deja vu was pretty different from drivers license. But I definitely wasn't expecting this. This song is full-on pop-punk. Yeah, you read that right. I read somewhere that her album is gonna be a mix of folk, pop-punk and pop, which just makes me 10% more intrigued to hear the album. Anyways, I've always been a fan of pop-rock and pop-punk and this is definitely no exception. Her voice fits so well with the production, which is something I never expected. The writing here is incredible as always and you can really hear the emotion in her voice in the verses. The chorus is super catchy too. Ah, I just love this song. I have no doubts that it'll debut in the top 10 on the Hot 100.

My Opinion: 5/5 = Great

I wasn't entirely sure which songs I wanted to pick for these next two features, because I choose the songs before listening to them, so that I get a good variety of songs. I'm pretty confident in my choices though, as they're coming from some pretty big names that I tend to like. This next one is actually a remix of a pre-existing song by Weezer. AJR have gone on to remix Weezer's song All My Favorite Songs. Have a listen below.

All My Favorite Songs - Weezer/AJR

So this actually isn't the first time AJR and Weezer have associated themselves with each other, as Rivers Cuomo, the lead singer of Weezer featured on AJR's song Sober Up. I really love that song, so I had pretty high expectations for this. I had heard the original, so I knew what I was in for, but I had no clue that they would AJR-ify the production. It's just slightly more blown-up and definitely less chill. I like both Rivers Cuomo and Jack Met's voices and I think they work well together here. I don't have much else to say here, as the song's just a little boring, but this is still good.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

This next song is by Tones And I, who broke out with her song Dance Monkey and has had a few non-hits that were on Hits 1 since then. But now she returns with her new song, Won't Sleep. Have a listen below.

Won't Sleep - Tones And I

This song strays from Tones And I's usual formula, the bouncy and light piano line. It's actually quite dark and brooding. There's some really weird pitch-shifting that happens in the intro and in the chorus and I really don't like it. I don't think it fits very well with the song. I feel like there could've been more substance in the production, as there's really not much going on. On top of that, Tones And I's voice is her usual weird voice, so I'm not so sure I like this one.

My Opinion: 0/5 = Awful

A few months ago, we got the very first song associated with the 25th anniversary of Pokémon. It was a cover of a Hootie & The Blowfish song, Only Wanna Be With You by Post Malone. Today, we get the second song from that album, Electric by Katy Perry. Have a listen below.

Electric - Katy Perry

Katy Perry's recent songs haven't exactly been my favourite, but this song's solid. It's pretty chill and the production doesn't have much going on in it, but Katy Perry sounds good and the song's decently catchy. Yeah, I don't really have much else to say about this one, it's just fine. I think it'll have a run on pop radio, but I'm not so sure it'll be a fantastic run.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

Well, that was a pretty decent New Music Friday. 3/4 of the songs were good, but my favourite definitely has to go to Olivia Rodrigo with good 4 u and I'm excited to listen to that one more.

Now it's time for my pick of the week. One problem with me picking the songs I want to feature here before I hear them is that occasionally I'll skip over a really good song. That's definitely the case this week, as Bebe Rexha released an album last Friday called Better Mistakes and the newest single from it, Break My Heart Myself featuring Travis Barker is really good, so I'm featuring it here today. Have a listen below.

Break My Heart Myself - Bebe Rexha/Travis Barker

The first two singles from this album, Baby, I'm Jealous and Sacrifice were only good, which is probably why I skipped over this last week. But this is really good. Bebe sounds really great here and Travis Barker handles the production pretty well. The song's pretty catchy and I like the chorus in particular. Overall, this is just a solid little song and I would recommend it.

Well, I hope you guys had a good time with the second edition of New Music Friday. I certainly did, and I had a blast writing it and listening to the songs.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

18 comments:

  1. I agree, BMHM is AWESOME. Die For A Man is great too. Listening to the full album rn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Predictions for debuts in Hit-Bound:
    Break My Heart Myself, Die For A Man, Or Sabotage - Bebe Rexha
    All I Know So Far - P!nk
    Lean On Me - Cheat Codes x Tinashe
    90s Kids - Jax

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEW ON HITS 1:

    Bella Poarch - Build a Bitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also new on Hits 1: la di die by Nessa Barrett and jxdn

      Delete
  4. I wish CMIS by P!NK would’ve debuted HitBound

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit-Bound:
    RAPSTAR
    Build A ***** - Bella Poarch (DEBUT)
    Serotonin
    The Way You Felt
    HEARTBREAK ANNIVERSARY
    Girl From Rio
    Lean On Me - Cheat Codes x Tinashe (DEBUT)
    Good Without
    la di die - Ness Barrett x jxdn
    In The Water
    First Time
    Met Him Last Night
    Telepatía
    STOP
    Goosebumps

    Possible Debuts/Dropouts
    The Business
    Higher Power
    I'm Not Pretty (Remix)
    Track Star
    Any song that plays outside of Hit-Bound and The Weekend Countdown: (Best Friend, Hold On, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAAAAAA BEST FRIEND DEBUTED! AINT COMPLANING ONE BIT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also Calling My Phone and Willow left

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Actually it's number 2 btw I'm still Jackson but on a different device

      Delete
    2. Ok, xmplaylist missed deja Vu then

      Delete
  9. HELLO MR PERFECTLY FI-INE, YEEESSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New Music: Dixie, FBOY(May 14)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm caught up in what could've been
    Thinkin' 'bout what you shoulda said
    Wonder what's going through your head
    Wonder who's sleeping in your bed
    My mind knows you don't care (don't care)
    But my heart just won't listen
    I thought you'd always be there (be there)
    But you were gone in a minute
    I'm tired of not being happy
    And you always thinkin' you have me
    But the only way that you have me
    Is so f'ed up
    You're just a fboy
    You're just a fboy
    That's not enough, boy
    You're just another motherf boy
    'Cause you're just a fboy
    You're just a fboy
    That's not enough, boy
    Don't need another motherf boy
    Another motherf boy
    And why am I still stuck on you (stuck on you)
    When you're just stuck on her?
    Why'd I try to f with you? (Huh?)
    Now I'm just fin' hurt (what?)
    And I'm tired of bein' so damn tired
    'Cause I stayed up all night cryin' 'bout a piece of sh a liar
    And I'm tired of bein' so damn tired
    'Cause I put in too much energy just tryna fuel this fire
    Tired of not being happy
    And you always thinkin' you have me
    But the only way that you have me
    Is so f'ed up
    You're just a fboy
    You're just a fboy
    That's not enough, boy
    You're just another motherfuck boy
    'Cause you're just a fuckboy
    You're just a fuckboy
    That's not enough, boy
    Don't need another motherfuck boy
    You think that you're the shit
    But no one's into it
    Stop askin' me for nudes, no, I'll never send those to you
    And get off my Instagram, who do you think I am?
    Get out of my DM's
    And take off those damn Jordan's
    'Cause you're just a fuckboy
    You're just a fuckboy
    No, ooh-whoa, oh, oh-oh
    Don't need another fuckboy (hm-hm, 'cause fuck)
    You're just a fuckboy
    You're just a fuckboy
    That's not enough, boy
    You're just another motherfuck boy
    'Cause you're just a fuckboy (boy, yeah)
    You're just a fuckboy (you're just a fuckboy)
    That's not enough, boy (that's not enough, boy)
    Don't need another motherfuck boy
    You're just a fuckboy
    You're just a fuckboy
    That's not enough, boy
    You're just another motherf boy
    Source: Musixmatch

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)