Friday, May 28, 2021

New Music Friday: Galantis, Tiësto & More!

New Music Friday: March 28, 2021
Hello! I know this is slightly late, but it's here and that's all that really matters. This New Music Friday was ridiculously uneventful, and hopefully we have a more eventful week next week, as I was kind of struggling to figure out what to feature this week. But all is well, because I've found four new songs that I want to feature!

We'll be starting this off with a new one from electronic duo Galantis, who are teaming up with David Guetta and Little Mix on this new track, Heartbreak Anthem. Have a listen below.


Little Mix haven't brought us too many top 40 hits lately, but I think it's definitely possible that this could end up being their first since Woman Like Me three years ago. Galantis and David Guetta's production works well with all of their voices and I like the drop even if chopped-up vocal drops aren't my favourite. The hook is pretty catchy and the girls sound good. Overall, this is good, but it's not fantastic.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

Next is Jason Derulo, who's been releasing a lot of music lately. I highly doubt this will be a big hit, because I hadn't heard that this was coming out until it popped up on my Spotify this week, and it's a collaboration with a not well-known artist, Tesher. But, you never know. This song's called Jalebi Baby. Have a listen below.


Right from the start, we have a crazier than normal "Jaaaason Derulooooo", so that's always a good song. As I mentioned before, Tesher isn't a very well-known artist, so I'm not really familiar with his stuff, but he sounds good here. Jason Derulo sounds great as always and it's got a pretty catchy chorus. My problem with this though is that the production is very all over the place. Especially at the chorus. It's not bad enough to drop it below decent, but it definitely keeps it from being good.

My Opinion: 3/5 = Decent

Now, I featured Marshmello on last week's post with his new song with the Jonas Brothers, but he released a new song this week and since I have nothing better to feature, I've decided to feature it anyways. It's a collaboration with Carnage called Back In Time. Have a listen below.


Oh no. This is another one of those songs where all of the vocals are pitched weirdly. They're pitched awkwardly up for the entire song and it really doesn't sound good. Pair that with a really weird drop and it just makes for a really weird song. There's no way this is gonna be a hit and I'm glad, because I really don't feel the need to hear it again.

My Opinion: 0/5 = Awful

Finally, we have Tiësto, who delivered us The Business earlier this year which was quite bad, but this week he returns with a remix to a previously released song, Imagine by Ben Platt. Have a listen below.


So... there's an upside to this song and a downside to this song. The upside: Ben Platt's vocals aren't pitch-shifted. The downside: There's way too much reverb on his voice. Ugh. Other than that, the production's decent, but I really can't get over the reverb. I much prefer the original version of this song.

My Opinion: 2/5 = Mediocre

Now it's time for my pick of the week! This one's a little older, but there's a reason, I swear. I recently decided to go and listen to all of AJR's discography, because I really like them and I've never really listened to any of their albums. The song I picked today comes from their fourth album, OK ORCHESTRA, which came out in March of earlier this year (yes, this is the album with Bang!, Bummerland and Way Less Sad). It's called 3 O'Clock Things and I think it has a capacity to be released as a single. Have a listen below.


This song follows a really similar carnival vibe that we had in Bang!, full with the old-timey backup vocals and everything. I really like the chorus here and I think it's super catchy. The horns really bring it home and Jack Met's vocals are great too. The best part of this song is easily the writing, though. It gets into some political topics, so if you're not into that kind of stuff, feel free to not listen to this, but even if you aren't into politics, I think you'll still like the song because of the instrumentation and the melody and stuff. Overall, I really like this song and it was one of my favourites from that album (If you want more of my recommendations from this album, check out Adventure Is Out There, Humpty Dumpty and World's Smallest Violin).

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Watching The Voice Finale Results, Ben Platt preformed Imagine so it's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it doesn't feel like it but March was now 3 months ago.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)