Friday, May 21, 2021

New Music Friday: Marshmello, Lil Nas X & More!

New Music Friday: May 21, 2021

Hey folks! I'm back with the third edition of New Music Friday, but before we start reviewing some brand new songs and my... interesting pick of the week, I have one announcement. It's the fact that I have continued reveals for the 2020 Ultimate Rank. If you want to do the current Community Rankings, the link can be found here. I'll be doing the next set of reveals relatively soon, so you don't have a whole lot of time. Before we jump into the post, just one quick reminder that the song titles are also YouTube links to the songs.

So our first brand new song today comes from our good buddy Marshmello, who's actually collaborated with the Jonas Brothers on this new song. This is the JoBros' first song since X from last year. The song's called Leave Before You Love Me. Have a listen below.


If I'm being honest here, I don't really see what Marshmello did with this song and I'm not sure why he's the lead artist here and not just credited with producing the song. It just sounds like a Jonas Brothers song. I mean, there's not even a drop. I'm not exactly complaining though, as this is still quite a good song. All of the Jonas Brothers (by that, I mean Joe and Nick, because Kevin doesn't exactly sing... sorry, Kevin) sound good here. The song's nice and chill and I think it works pretty well, even if it's only slightly uninteresting. Overall, this song's solid, but I'm not sure it'll be a big top 40 hit.

My Opinion: 4/5 = Good

I was pretty conflicted with which song I should feature here, because I had three songs that I definitely wanted to feature, then two that I was debating between. But honestly, I'm more intrigued by the sound of this one, and I have a good feeling that I'll just have to review the new Anne-Marie and Niall Horan song tomorrow anyways, so I went with Mike Posner and blackbear. The song's called Jealousy. Have a listen below.


I've always liked blackbear, and I like a couple of Mike Posner's songs, so I was definitely interested as to what this song would sound like. Overall, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed and I regret my decision. Mike Posner doesn't sound good here. He seems to be singing too high for his voice and it's not like the production backs him up too much. It's pretty simplistic and not in a good way. blackbear's verse is solid, but it's not enough to bring this song up much. Yeah, this really isn't my thing.

My Opinion: 1/5 = Bad

I think you guys would've been surprised if I didn't choose this next song, as I can already tell it's gonna be a huge hit. I've heard snippets of the song and I have no doubts. Last year, BTS brought us Dynamite, which ended up being their first really big radio song. Today, they seem to be bringing the follow-up to Dynamite, Butter. Have a listen below.


This song has HUGE summer vibes. It's also all in english, which always helps me enjoy k-pop songs, because it's easier to appreciate the songwriting when I can actually sing along without just mumbling gibberish. Anyways, all of the guys here sound pretty good and the song's pretty catchy too. There's no doubt that this is Dynamite 2.0, just slightly less catchy and with more happening in the production. Honestly, I think it's safe to say that BTS is growing on me. I actually like this song and I'm excited to see what it does on radio.

My Opinion: 5/5 = Great

For our final brand new song today, we have Lil Nas X releasing yet another song, likely due to him performing on Saturday Night Live tomorrow night. The song's called SUN GOES DOWN. Have a listen below.


Based on the album cover, Montero's leaning away from the whole controversial devil thing with this song. This song's actually super chill and his voice works shockingly well with it. I've really liked all of his singles so far and based on first impressions, this would probably land in between Panini and HOLIDAY for my third-favourite song from him. The writing on this one is insane too. I really don't know how to describe it, so I'd suggest you just go look it up and see for yourself. This song's great and I hope it becomes as big as Old Town Road or MONTERO.

My Opinion: 5/5 = Great

My favourite New Music Friday song for this week would have to go to Lil Nas X for SUN GOES DOWN, even if BTS put up a good fight.

Now it's time for my pick of the week. This one's a bit of an oddball. It's not exactly from a well-known artist like DJ Khaled or Bebe Rexha, it's actually from an emerging indie rock band from England, called Lovejoy. Yes, I can hear you now saying "But Beluga, why would you pick a random song from a new indie rock band from England?" Well, I'll give you one reason, and his name is Wilbur Soot. This is Lovejoy with One Day. Have a listen below.


So if you're not aware, Wilbur Soot is a Twitch streamer who occasionally will upload edited versions of his streams to YouTube and I've been getting into his videos lately, which is how I found out about this. When I heard that he was the lead singer of a new band, I went into it fully expecting it to be a meme song, but it's actually quite good. I really like their sound and while Wilbur isn't the greatest singer, his voice really works with the sound of the band. The hook is also really good. I would definitely recommend this to anybody and I'm really excited for what else Lovejoy has to offer aside from this four-song EP.

Yeah, so that's it! Hope you guys enjoyed this week's edition of New Music Friday. See you guys tomorrow.

...

Oh crap, I forgot the kwaheri line. Whatever, it's fine.

7 comments:

  1. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Higher Power: 42 spins
    Hold On: 31 spins
    good 4 u: 28 spins
    RAPSTAR: 23 spins
    First Time: 22 spins
    telepatía: 20 spins
    Build a B****: 18 spins
    Calling My Phone: 18 spins
    Goosebumps: 17 spins
    Heartbreak Anniversary: 16 spins
    Butter: 7 spins
    Our Song: 5 spins
    Leave Me Before You Love Me: 5 spins
    la di die: 3 spins
    Girl From Rio: 2 spins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo Deja Vu got blocked by her mom ☹️

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)