Saturday, February 6, 2021

Week of February 6, 2021 - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (2)

Dua Lipa/DaBaby (2)
Wow, it was actually quite a good week! Good debuts (for the most part), good jumps and decent Hit-Bound debuts. Make sure you do my 2020 Countdown Extras Rankdown, because you only have nine more days. It’s due not next Monday, but the Monday after that. Make sure you get your submissions in before then! Here’s our exits for this week.

Songs We’re Saying Goodbye To
Skin - Sabrina Carpenter (#23) [#23] {1 week}
Wonder - Shawn Mendes (#22) [3 weeks at #1] {17 weeks}
Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo (#21) [#13] {13 weeks}
Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (#13) [#10] {19 weeks}
Save Myself - Ashe (#12) [#3] {20 weeks}

Last Week’s #1: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (1)

#30: Fly Away - Tones And I (DEBUT) [11 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#29: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine (+1) [#29] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#28: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane (DEBUT) [11 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#27: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max (-) [#27] {2 weeks}
#26: Heat Waves - Glass Animals (+3) [#26] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#25: Deep End - Fousheé (DEBUT) [8 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#24: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI (DEBUT) [3 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#23: Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur (+1) [#23] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#22: Anyone - Justin Bieber (+4) [#22] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#21: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent (RE-ENTRY) [#21] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#20: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug (+8) [#20] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#19: Lie Lie Lie - Joshua Bassett (+1) [#19] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#18: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney (-1) [#15] {13 weeks}
#17: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (+8) [#17] {16 weeks} *new peak*
#16: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (+2) [#14] {12 weeks}
#15: Diamonds - Sam Smith (-6) [#6] {20 weeks}
#14: positions - Ariana Grande (-7) [#2] {15 weeks}
#13: Treat People With Kindness - Harry Styles (+3) [#13] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#12: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd (+7) [#12] {12 weeks} *new peak*
#11: Afterglow - Ed Sheeran (+3) [#11] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#10: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa (+1) [#10] {11 weeks}
#9: you broke me first - Tate McRae (-1) [#7] {19 weeks}
#8: 34+35 - Ariana Grande (+7) [#8] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#7: willow - Taylor Swift (+3) [#7] {7 weeks}
#6: Golden - Harry Styles (-3) [3 weeks at #1] {15 weeks}
#5: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (-1) [#3] {12 weeks}
#4: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear (-2) [4 weeks at #1] {21 weeks}
#3: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo (+3) [#3] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#2: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (+3) [#2] {19 weeks} *new peak*
#1: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (-) [2nd week at #1] {17 weeks}

Last Year’s #1: Circles - Post Malone [2/2 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat

Okay, how did THIS become Tones And I’s second song on the Countdown? Fly Away is easily the worst of her four songs that she’s had on here. Not that it’s bad or anything, she sounds fine, the whole song is just ridiculously boring. I find it hard to listen to because it’s just extremely substanceless. It’s not like the production’s that interesting and the melody doesn’t really grab me either. I highly doubt that this’ll do too well on here and I hope that it doesn’t because it’s really just filling up space on the Countdown right now.

Clinton Kane scores his first song on the Countdown this week with Fix It to Break It. I quite like this song. Not too much, it’s my least favourite song in the “Great” tier, but I still really like it nonetheless. Clinton Kane sounds pretty great here and I really like the melody, especially in the chorus. The production’s not too interesting, but it’s enough to hold up the song. I hope this song does pretty well here.

Well… I have a new least favourite song on the Countdown now I guess. Deep End by Fousheé debuts this week… why? Who actually said that they liked this song in the surveys? I can’t see any appeal in this song whatsoever. Fousheé sounds terrible here and it’s not like the song’s interesting either. I really hate this song and I have no clue why it debuted the Weekend Countdown.

Hunh. Yup, I definitely expected SO DONE to debut before WITHOUT YOU, but here we are as The Kid LAROI gets his first song on the Countdown. There’s one down side to this song debuting the Countdown, because I would’ve made my best song on the Countdown My Head & My Heart, but this is better in my opinion. I think The Kid LAROI actually sounds quite good here and I really like the melody here. I think the chorus is actually pretty good here. Aside from the obvious line that’s not great, this is a pretty great song.

Overwhelmed re-entered the Countdown this week. I can’t possibly see this sticking around for much longer.

Best Debut: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI

Biggest DROP!!!: positions - Ariana Grande (-7): Aw man. It really sucks that this didn’t even really get a chance to stick around in the top 5.

Biggest Jump: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug & What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (+8): Wow, I’m really glad that both of these songs made decent sized jumps and I’d love to see them keep jumping.

Countdown Ranking

0 - Crap:
#30: Deep End - Fousheé

1 - Bad:
#29: Golden - Harry Styles
#28: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish

2 - Mediocre:
#27: Fly Away - Tones And I
#26: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#25: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco

3 - Decent:
#24: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
#23: Heat Waves - Glass Animals
#22: 34+35 - Ariana Grande

4 - Good:
#21: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#20: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa
#19: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#18: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine
#17: willow - Taylor Swift
#16: Treat People With Kindness - Harry Styles
#15: Afterglow - Ed Sheeran
#14: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke

5 - Great:
#13: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane
#12: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#11: Anyone - Justin Bieber
#10: Lie Lie Lie - Joshua Bassett
#9: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
#8: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#7: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#6: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#5: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear
#4: positions - Ariana Grande
#3: Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur
#2: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
#1: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI

Overall Score: 114/150 = 76%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke {16 weeks}
#4: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby {17 weeks}
#3: you broke me first - Tate McRae & my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear {19 weeks}
#2: Diamonds - Sam Smith {20 weeks}
#1: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear {21 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Endless - Rence

My Favourite Song Last Year: Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Say So - Doja Cat

Most Missed Countdown Song: Cheap Thrills - Sia/Sean Paul

Hit-Bound
Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat [1]
Skin - Sabrina Carpenter [1; 2nd time*]
Momma Always Told Me - Mike Posner/Stanaj/Yung Bae [1]
cheers - blackbear/Wiz Khalifa [1]
Stay Next To Me - Quinn XCII/Chelsea Cutler [8]
I’m not Pretty - JESSIA [1]
forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey [2]
Good Days - SZA [2]
Lotus Inn - Why Don’t We [2]
Talk About Love - Zara Larsson/Young Thug [2]
SO DONE - The Kid LAROI [9]
rubberband - Tate McRae [1]
Goodbye - Shaylen [2; 2nd time]
Body - Megan Thee Stallion [8]
Girls Like Us - Zoe Wees [3]

*It skipped Hit-Bound, so this is technically its first time around.

So yeah, you guys know that I don’t really like Saweetie, I made that pretty clear when Tap In was in Hit-Bound back last year. Now, she’s back with Best Friend featuring Doja Cat. This could very possibly grow on me. The main reason is because I think Doja Cat does really great here. I think if it was just Doja Cat, I would definitely like this song. Saweetie just doesn’t really sound that good and I find her voice really quite annoying. But yeah, Doja’s great here.

Skin dropped out of the Countdown and entered Hit-Bound this week. I don’t care that much and it’ll probably re-enter anyways.

So Mike Posner brings his first song on Hits 1 since I Took A Pill In Ibiza all the way back in 2016. Anyways, this song’s called Momma Always Told Me and it features Stanaj and Yung Bae, who don’t have any presence on here whatsoever, but whatever. I don’t really know who they are anyways, so I’m fine with it just being a Mike Posner song. This song’s pretty groovy. It’s nothing too special, but it’s definitely enjoyable and I’d like to see it become a hit.

So next up is a blackbear song that was released on Christmas Day 2020. It’s called cheers featuring Wiz Khalifa. This is a fun little song. I think blackbear sounds pretty good here and I like the hook here, it’s pretty catchy. I like the production, even though it’s pretty minimalistic. It’s not my favourite blackbear song and Wiz Khalifa’s verse is pretty unnecessary, but this song’s really fun and I enjoy it.

So next up is a song that I’ve actually known about for a while now. I actually first heard it the day it came out. It’s I’m not Pretty by JESSIA. I have a bit of a complicated relationship with this song. If I was just talking about the production and melody, this would be great. But the lyrics are just kind of odd and it’s really hard to take her seriously, especially when she’s talking about a pretty serious topic. Yeah, I don’t know. It’s also quite short.

Tate McRae has another song this week, called rubberband. This song’s alright. It’s not really memorable at all, you broke me first is definitely more memorable and this song’s very similar in a lot of ways. She sounds pretty much the same, the production sounds pretty much the same and really the only difference is that the chorus doesn’t really sound the same, but yeah, this is pretty much just a carbon copy of you broke me first.

Best Debut: cheers - blackbear/Wiz Khalifa

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: Body - Megan Thee Stallion
#14: Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#13: Good Days - SZA

3 - Decent:
#12: rubberband - Tate McRae
#11: Girls Like Us - Zoe Wees
#10: Lotus Inn - Why Don’t We

4 - Good:
#9: Skin - Sabrina Carpenter
#8: Momma Always Told Me - Mike Posner/Stanaj/Yung Bae
#7: Talk About Love - Zara Larsson/Young Thug
#6: I’m not Pretty - JESSIA
#5: Goodbye - Shaylen
#4: cheers - blackbear/Wiz Khalifa

5 - Great:
#3: forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey
#2: Stay Next To Me - Quinn XCII/Chelsea Cutler
#1: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI

Overall Score: 50/75 = 67%

Blurbed Here Without Youuuuuuuuu

As far as the exits go, they were all pretty old, so I’m not disappointed to see any of them go. Wonder and Take You Dancing were just good and I’m satisfied with the amount of success that they both got. I think Holy could’ve done better (for some reason, Hits 1 has something against Justin Bieber) and I think Save Myself stuck around for a bit too long.

As for Hit-Bound exits, the only one was Space Girl. I’m honestly not that sad that it’s gone and it was never gonna debut anyways. That “SUCKED INTO A BLACK HOLE” part was pretty good though.

#30-#24 are all songs that have spent either one or two weeks on the Countdown. Heehee, I love it when little things like that happen.

Really? My Head & My Heart didn’t jump? Whatever, I’m pretty sure that this will be a huge hit anyways.

Anyone made a decent-sized jump. I’d like to see it be a hit, but as I said before, Hits 1 has something against Justin Bieber.

Okay, I’ll admit that Lonely shouldn’t be jumping though, it’s not great.

Diamonds is finally starting to see its way out. I’ve gotten pretty tired of this song, so I’m definitely not disappointed.

Treat People With Kindness jumped into the top 15 this week. I’m definitely not surprised, but honestly, I’m not sad either.

Super Bowl performer The Weeknd’s song Save Your Tears made a really good-sized jump up to #12. I’d love to see this hit the top 10 and I’m really excited for his performance (and for Blinding Lights to go back to #1 on the Hot 100 the week after… maybe… drivers license and Up by Cardi B could both beat it. It’s gonna be exciting nonetheless. Also, yeah, I’m gonna catch up on my Hot 100 posts soon).

34+35 also made a seven-spot jump up into the top 10. Sure, why not?

Yay Golden dropped out of the top 5! Wooh!

drivers license is up at #3. Honestly, I could probably see this hitting #1 in the coming weeks and I definitely wouldn’t be disappointed because it really grew on me.

my ex’s best friend is up at #2 though, so that might block it. I’d like for it to hit #1, but I don’t really want it to block drivers license.

Levitating holds at #1 this week, which is great. I’m really happy that it’s finally doing well here.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
#2: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#3: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#4: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#5: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#6: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#7: positions - Ariana Grande
#8: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#9: Good Days - SZA
#10: Bang! - AJR
#12: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#13: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#14: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd
#17: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#18: Body - Megan Thee Stallion
#19: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#21: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#22: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#23: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen
#26: Anyone - Justin Bieber
#27: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#28: willow - Taylor Swift
#33: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#34: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#35: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#39: Afterglow - Ed Sheeran
#41: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#44: Whats Poppin (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#45: Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat
#46: Dynamite - BTS
#47: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI
#48: Skin - Sabrina Carpenter
#49: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#51: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#55: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#65: Golden - Harry Styles
#69: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear
#70: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber
#71: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#78: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo
#79: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI
#81: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa
#91: Heat Waves - Glass Animals

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: Skin - Sabrina Carpenter
#9: Teeth - 5 Seconds of Summer
#8: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear
#7: Bummerland - AJR
#6: Fly Away - Tones And I
#5: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane
#4: Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo
#3: Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito
#2: 100 Ways - Jackson Wang
#1: Ice Cream - BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#9: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#8: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#7: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo
#6: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#5: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#4: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#3: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#2: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#1: positions - Ariana Grande

Kwaheri, everybody! See you in the next one.

24 comments:

  1. https://reviewsblog.music.blog/2021/02/06/at40-ariana-grande-3-week-of-february-6-2021/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 35 spins
    Goodbye: 24 spins
    SO DONE: 24 spins
    forget me too: 21 spins
    Body: 21 spins
    Skin: 18 spins
    All I Want: 16 spins
    Best Friend: 15 spins
    I'm not Pretty: 10 spins

    ReplyDelete
  3. New on Hits 1: defencless by Louis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone watch The Weeknd perform at the halftime show of the Super Bowl? If you didn't, I think I can safely say that you were missing out because it was really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 35 spins
    forget me too: 27 spins
    Goodbye: 24 spins
    SO DONE: 24 spins
    Body: 21 spins
    Skin: 18 spins
    All I Want: 16 spins
    Best Friend: 12 spins
    I'm not Pretty: 8 spins
    Defenceless: 2 spins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just did a Hits 1 survey!

    Countdown Songs They Didn't Ask About:
    Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
    Diamonds - Sam Smith
    positions - Ariana Grande

    Hit-Bound Songs They Asked About:
    Body - Megan Thee Stallion
    Skin - Sabrina Carpenter
    Goosebumps (Remix) - Travis Scott/HVME
    All I Want - Olivia Rodrigo
    rubberband - Tate McRae
    forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey
    Best Friend - Saweetie/Doja Cat
    I'm not Pretty - JESSIA
    SO DONE - The Kid LAROI
    Girls Like Us - Zoe Wees
    Stay Next To Me - Quinn XCII/Chelsea Cutler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Callout Scores results are up!

    (Spoiler alert: Dua Lipa & Ava Max top the chart!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rubberband just got a spin which means THERE COULD BE A BIG DEBUT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 36 spins
    All I Want: 25 spins
    Goodbye: 24 spins
    Skin: 21 spins
    SO DONE: 21 spins
    forget me too: 19 spins
    Body: 19 spins
    Best Friend: 16 spins
    I'm not Pretty: 7 spins
    Goosebumps: 3 spins
    rubberband: 2 spins
    Defenceless: 2 spins
    Girls Like Us: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goosebumps is actually very groovy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goosebumps is cool

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)