Saturday, February 27, 2021

Hot 100 Overview: Week of February 27, 2021 - Olivia Rodrigo (6)

Olivia Rodrigo (6)
So yeah, I decided that I'd be switching to this, like Waffle did, because 1: I get to review more songs and 2: It takes less time. This week is gonna be different, though. This is NOT the normal format. Today, I'll be doing very quick reviews of every song that I've never reviewed on this blog before, then I'll do a short blurbs section. You'll get the proper format next week.

#3: Calling My Phone - Lil Tjay/6LACK (DEBUT) [#3] {1 week}

Quite forgettable, but both artists sound good here. Probably didn't deserve a top 5 debut, though.

#5: Up - Cardi B (-3) [#2] {2 weeks}

This is probably the first Cardi B song where she was the lead artist that I've genuinely liked since I Like It, which was a banger. Her flow is great here and the beat is really good too.

#16: Back In Blood - Pooh Shiesty/Lil Durk (+1) [#16] {7 weeks} *new peak*

Not very interesting, but again, both artists sound good.

#27: Streets - Doja Cat (-5) [#18] {6 weeks}

Doja Cat meets Billie Eilish and I really hate it. The layered vocals are really quite bad. Doja just fits better with rap in my opinion.

#30: Throat Baby (Go Baby) - BRS Kash (+3) [#24] {18 weeks}

Wow, okay, literally just copy + paste my reviews for Calling My Phone and Back In Blood here.

#35: GOOD TIME - Niko Moon (-) [#31] {20 weeks}

Oh hey, this is actually a decent country song. The production works and his voice is not bad.

#40: Just the Way - Parmalee/Blanco Brown (+2) [#40] {8 weeks} *new peak*

IT'S THE GIT UP GUY!!! Honestly, though, he sounds nothing like he did in The Git Up. But I think I kind of like it. He works really well with the guys in Parmalee and that chorus is really catchy. This is actually quite great.

#41: Cry Baby - Megan Thee Stallion/DaBaby (-12) [#28] {11 weeks}

This is terrifying, but it kind of works? Both artists sound great here, but that sample. It's actually just horrifying.

#42: Beers And Sunshine - Darius Rucker (+4) [#42] {10 weeks} *new peak*

Mm-m. Nope. This is ridiculously country and I don't like it that much.

#44: Damage - H.E.R. (+3) [#44] {10 weeks} *new peak*

Yaaaaay. R&B. This is a little less boring than other R&B songs, but it's still not fantastic. It could be a grower though.

#46: Down To One - Luke Bryan (+4) [#46] {8 weeks} *new peak*

Luke Bryan's voice is quite bad. Definitely no exception to this one.

#47: Buss It - Erica Banks (+13) [#47] {6 weeks} *new peak*

She kind of sounds like a new Nicki Minaj. The production's kind of uninteresting, but it's not bad. This one could also be a grower.

#48: Long Live - Florida Georgia Line (+13) [#48] {7 weeks} *new peak*

They don't really sound that good here. Better than their other song Lil Bit, though.

#50: Time Today - Moneybagg Yo (-13) [#37] {2 weeks}

Yeah, I don't know. Moneybagg Yo's voice just really isn't for me, I guess. I didn't like it in Said Sum and this really isn't any different.

#51: What It Feels Like - Nipsey Hussle/JAY-Z (DEBUT) [#51] {1 week}

R.I.P. Nipsey. Man, he was pretty talented. He sounds great here and so does JAY-Z. They work really well together and with the beat. That writing too. Specifically the line: "You let them crackers storm your Capitol, put they feet up on your desk".

#52: hole in the bottle - Kelsea Ballerini (-13) [#39] {18 weeks}

This is actually decent. Kelsea sounds good here and the chorus is infectious.

#53: Wasted On You - Morgan Wallen (-17) [#9] {6 weeks}

Because of all of the controversy surrounding Morgan Wallen, I don't want to support him, so I'm not listening to him anymore, so I don't have an opinion on all of his new songs.

#54: Beat Box - SpottemGottem (-1) [#53] {5 weeks}

He really doesn't sound that good here and it's also way too short (but is that really a bad thing?).

#55: The Good Ones - Gabby Barrett (+1) [#55] {8 weeks} *new peak*

This is fine. Definitely not as good as I Hope, though.

#56: What's Your Country Song - Thomas Rhett (-2) [#54] {9 weeks}

Why does Thomas Rhett always have such great hooks? It's kind of annoying, because his voice has way too much country twang.

#57: Sand In My Boots - Morgan Wallen (-19) [#32] {6 weeks}

N/A

#63: Lady - Brett Young (+5) [#63] {6 weeks} *new peak*

Great writing, but kind of slow and Brett Young doesn't sound good.

#67: GIRL LIKE ME - Black Eyed Peas/Shakira (+4) [#67] {6 weeks} *new peak*

I really want to like this, but AAAAAH Shakira SOUNDS SO BAAAD!

#68: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf (DEBUT) [#68] {1 week}

I will talk about this in much more detail in my Countdown Post, but I love this guy's flow and that chorus is great. #crownnoteplug (more on that in my Countdown Post too)

#70: No More Parties - Col Leray (+14) [#70] {2 weeks} *new peak*

This is pretty boring, but she sounds pretty good here. It's R&B though, that seems like a trend throughout that genre.

#72: Momma's House - Dustin Lynch (-) [#72] {6 weeks}

This is way too slow for a country song. Nothing else in this song can save it from that.

#73: Hell Of A View - Eric Church (-) [#73] {6 weeks}

Eric Church is one of the more tolerable country singers, but this song is kind of boring and doesn't really do anything for me.

#74: HEARTBREAK ANNIVERSARY - Giveon (DEBUT) [#74] {1 week}

Meh. Nothing here is all that interesting. It's not bad, it's just really not that interesting and there's nothing here that grabs my attention.

#75: Neighbors - Pooh Shiesty/BIG30 (-24) [#51] {2 weeks}

Not too interesting, but there's nothing that I dislike here.

#78: Somebody Like That - Tenille Arts (+1) [#78] {5 weeks} *new peak*

Kind of boring, but she sounds fine I guess. That chorus is also decent. The instrumentation is quite good in it.

#79: Finesse Out The Gang Way - Lil Durk/Lil Baby (-2) [#39] {3 weeks}

One of Lil Durk's best performances in my opinion. Lil Baby's even not that bad. The beat is really well-made too. Good song.

#80: Masterpiece - DaBaby (+17) [#55] {4 weeks}

It's DaBaby, so he sounds really good here, but the production isn't as good as it is in some of his other songs.

#81: Moonwalking in Calabasas - DDG (+4) [#81] {8 weeks} *new peak*

Ayyy, this is good. DDG has great flow and sounds great. He works well with the beat too.

#82: Bandido - Myke Towers/Juhn (+5) [#82] {2 weeks} *new peak*

Quite boring. Neither artist sounds bad per se here, but they don't exactly sound great either.

#83: Happy Does - Kenny Chesney (-13) [#47] {14 weeks}

Wow, I really hate Kenny Chesney's voice here. It's really quite bad and nothing else about the song can save it.

#84: Cover Me Up - Morgan Wallen (-18) [#52] {7 weeks}

N/A

#85: You Got It - Vedo (+3) [#85] {8 weeks} *new peak*

Vedo sounds quite good here. He works well with the beat and even though it's slow, he makes it work.

#87: Still Trappin' - Lil Durk/King Von (-7) [#53] {8 weeks}

Eh. Both artists sound fine, but nothing about this sticks with me at all.

#88: Pick Up Your Feelings - Jazmine Sullivan (+1) [#88] {4 weeks} *new peak*

Wow, I'm really vibing with this one. Jazmine sounds fantastic here and the chorus is actually memorable unlike some other R&B songs.

#92: BICHOTA - KAROL G (-14) [#72] {12 weeks}

Good beat, but that's really the only that stands out to me here.

#93: Glad You Exist - Dan + Shay (-30) [#63] {2 weeks}

Definitely not one of the best Dan + Shay songs. It's kind of slow, but it's still decent. They sound decent and the hook's interesting enough.

#94: Quicksand - Morray (+6) [#94] {2 weeks} *new peak*

Wow, this guy's flow is really good. He can go pretty fast, but he also tries really different flows here and it works really well. The hook is also really good.

#95: LIKE I WANT YOU - Giveon (DEBUT) [#95] {1 week}

Not sure if his voice is pitched down or not, but it doesn't sound good. It's pretty boring too.

#96: Almost Maybes - Jordan Davis (-) [#95] {4 weeks}

His voice isn't the best, mostly because it's country, but that hook is so fun that I can't help but smile.

#97: Back to the Streets - Saweetie/Jhené Aiko (-22) [#58] {13 weeks}

Hunh. This is honestly the best performance that I've ever heard from Saweetie. That being said, it's kind of boring. If she could sound this way in Best Friend, I think I'd like it quite a bit.

#98: Bad Boy - Juice WRLD/Young Thug (-15) [#22] {5 weeks}

I really like Juice WRLD but ewww that electric guitar and Young Thug sound so bad.

#99: Opp Stoppa - YBN Nahmir/21 Savage (RE-ENTRY) [#97] {2 weeks}

There's too much going out at one time in this song and it really doesn't work. YBN Nahmir also doesn't sound that good either.

#100: How They Remember You - Rascal Flatts (DEBUT) [#100] {1 week}

I have a soft spot for these guys, because they made one of my favourite songs of all time, Life Is a Highway. While this isn't as good, they still sound alright and the chorus is decent.

Blurbs

Yeah, so drivers license debuted at #1 six weeks ago and it's been there ever since. I'm honestly quite happy about this, even if it isn't my favourite song ever.

34+35 is up to #2 and I can honestly see this taking the #1 at any point now.

I have absolutely no clue how Blinding Lights is still in the top 5, but I'm all for it.

So Save Your Tears made a big jump to #4 because of The Weeknd's Super Bowl Performance and it actually only drops to #6 this week, so it could be a pretty big hit.

Looks like Mood is finally starting to lose momentum, dropping down to #7 this week. I'd be fine if this left somewhat soon.

The re-recorded Love Story debuted at #11 this week, which is much higher than I thought it was going to debut at. I hope it sticks around for a bit longer.

Who else has completely forgotten that For The Night is still here. Especially so high. I mean, #14? Really?

So Good Days became a top 10 hit while I was away, so that's cool, I guess.

you broke me first is somehow just outside the top 20. I can't possibly see this sticking around for much longer.

willow's doing pretty well. I'm pretty sure it's doing better than cardigan did, so that's good, because I think it's better.

Anyone made a rebound, which is great because I was unsure how long it was going to stay in the top 40 for.

Bang! also became a top 10 hit while I was away, which is insane and awesome.

Ok, how do Lewis Capaldi songs have so much longevity? I mean, seriously. Before You Go is still at #33.

Ahhh Put Your Records On is a top 40 hit... come on, America.

I guess Dynamite is still here.

We're Good by Dua Lipa debuted at #49 this week. It's kind of low, but honestly, I'm not as disappointed as I was when Levitating debuted that low.

Golden is at #58. Really? Why hasn't this left the Hot 100 yet?

So I guess Monsters by All Time Low is actually a hit now. Alright, then, I'll definitely take it.

My Head & My Heart debuted last week and made a huge jump up to #61 this week. I'm so happy and I really hope it gets to be even bigger than Kings & Queens was.

Hey, remember Tyler Herro by Jack Harlow? Yeah, I forgot that that song existed, but I'm definitely happy that it's still here.

Sucks that Afterglow wasn't a bigger hit. I think it deserved to be.

SO DONE's starting to fall off of the chart, which sucks.

One Too Many by Keith Urban and P!nk is also still here, at #86. I forgot how great this song was. I hope it doesn't leave soon.

Shawn Mendes' Monster is still here. I honestly thought that it would've left a while ago.

Yeah, that's all for this week. The real format will come next week.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)