Sunday, August 11, 2019

Week of August 10, 2019 - Shawn Mendes (5)

Shawn Mendes (5)

The reason this is out late is because I had to do it all from my phone. And I had to review 12 different songs. And listen to the countdown. All while being in London, England on vacation. That being said, it is an interesting countdown. We had 6 debuts both on the countdown and Hit-Bound, and 2 surprising top 5 entrants. Enjoy.

Songs We’re Saying Goodbye To
Chlorine - Twenty One Pilots (#45) [#11]
Dancing With A Stranger - Sam Smith/Normani (#44) [#7]
Close To Me - Ellie Goulding/Diplo (#42) [#7]
mama’s house - push baby (#41) [#36]
Paradise - Bazzi (#39) [#23]
Summer Days - Martin Garrix/Macklemore/Patrick Stump (#37) [#23]

Last Week’s #1: If I Can't Have You - Shawn Mendes (4)

#45: Walk Me Home - P!nk (-5) [#3]
#44: Sweet but Psycho - Ava Max (-12) [#2]
#43: Happier - Marshmello/Bastille (-) [2 weeks at #1]
#42: One Thought Away - Asher Angel (DEBUT) [9 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#41: With You - Kaskade/Meghan Trainor (-16) [#21]
#40: Bad Liar - Imagine Dragons (-2) [#6]
#39: Mother’s Daughter - Miley Cyrus (DEBUT) [9 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#38: This Feeling - The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini (-3) [7 weeks at #1]
#37: High Hopes - Panic! At The Disco (-1) [8 weeks at #1]
#36: Trampoline - SHAED (DEBUT) [6 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#35: Find U Again - Mark Ronson/Camila Cabello (DEBUT) [9 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#34: Look Away - Stephen Puth (DEBUT) [4 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#33: Without Me - Halsey (-4) [5 weeks at #1]
#32: Rescue Me - OneRepublic (DEBUT) [9 weeks in Hit-Bound]
#31: ME! - Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie (-1) [#2]
#30: Let Me Down Slowly - Alec Benjamin (-2) [#4]
#29: Goodbyes - Post Malone (-5) [#23]
#28: Speechless - Dan + Shay (-2) [#9]
#27: Here With Me - Marshmello/CHVRCHES (-10) [#5]
#26: Hustle - P!nk (+7) [#26] *new peak*
#25: The Git Up - Blanco Brown (+2) [#25] *new peak*
#24: Make You Mine - PUBLIC (+7) [#24] *new peak*
#23: So Am I - Ava Max (-16) [#7]
#22: Don't Give Up On Me - Andy Grammer (+1) [#18]
#21: Never Really Over - Katy Perry (-1) [#10]
#20: 100 Bad Days - AJR (+14) [#20] *new peak*
#19: Call You Mine - The Chainsmokers/Bebe Rexha (-4) [#15]
#18: Dancing’s Not a Crime - Panic! At The Disco (-2) [#10]
#17: Old Town Road (Remix) - Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus (-9) [#7]
#16: bad guy - Billie Eilish (-6) [#10]
#15: You Need To Calm Down - Taylor Swift (-11) [#4]
#14: Cool - Jonas Brothers (-5) [#9]
#13: I Don't Care - Ed Sheeran/Justin Bieber (-1) [#5]
#12: Love Me Less - MAX/Quinn XCII (+2) [#12] *new peak*
#11: Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! At The Disco (-5) [3 weeks at #1]
#10: Talk - Khalid/Disclosure (+8) [#6]
#9: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi (+10) [#4]
#8: Señorita - Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello (+5) [#8]
#7: Truth Hurts - Lizzo (+15) [#7] *new peak*
#6: Sucker - Jonas Brothers (-3) [13 weeks at #1]
#5: Easier - 5 Seconds of Summer (+6) [#5] *new peak*
#4: Nightmare - Halsey (-2) [#2]
#3: If We Have Each Other - Alec Benjamin (+18) [#3] *new peak*
#2: Who Do You Love - The Chainsmokers/5 Seconds of Summer (+3) [2 weeks at #1]
#1: If I Can't Have You - Shawn Mendes (-) [5th week at #1]

Last Year’s #1: High Hopes - Panic! At The Disco [1/8 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Small Talk - Katy Perry

Ayyyyyy! Six debuts! Our first, though, isn't that good. It's One Thought Away by Asher Angel. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with this song, there's just not much to talk about. So yeah, not great.

Our next debut is Mother’s Daughter by Miley Cyrus. This has already kind of flopped, but I still want it to become a hit. This song has a great beat, great vocals and it's super catchy. Great direction for Miley. Keep going.

For our third debut, we have a really good song by SHAED, Trampoline. I love this song because it's so different. It sounds so cool and the vocals are pretty good too. Great song, hope it does well.

Immediately after, we have Find U Again by Mark Ronson and Camila Cabello. The vocals here are really good, and I love the key change in the “Tears in your eyes” line. The production here is great. Personally, I don't think it's as good as Nothing Breaks Like a Heart, but that's alright.

Immediately after that we have Look Away by Stephen Puth. This song isn't as strong as the last three. I just can't really get into it. It's catchy and all, but I feel like it was pushed too hard by Hits 1 for a mediocre song. I just don't think this will do too well.

At #32 with our highest debut is Rescue Me by OneRepublic. I love this song. OneRepublic is one of my favourite bands, and Ryan Tedder's vocals are amazing. This song is super catchy and should become a hit.

Best Debut: Trampoline - SHAED

Biggest DROP!!!: With You - Kaskade/Meghan Trainor & So Am I - Ava Max (-16): Overall, I'm happy both songs dropped. With You was never a hit, so it doesn't really matter, and So Am I never should've made it into the top 20, let alone #7. So, good.

Biggest Jump: If We Have Each Other - Alec Benjamin (+18): Uh, I guess this is at #3 now. I'm totally okay with it, I'm just confused how it got there. Well, I don't think this will stick around for long.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: Rescue Me - OneRepublic
#4: Goodbyes - Post Malone
#3: Don't Give Up On Me - Andy Grammer
#2: 100 Bad Days - AJR
#1: Trampoline - SHAED

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: One Thought Away - Asher Angel
#4: Cool - Jonas Brothers
#3: Nightmare - Halsey
#2: bad guy - Billie Eilish
#1: Truth Hurts - Lizzo

Top 20 Ranking
#20: Truth Hurts - Lizzo
#19: bad guy - Billie Eilish
#18: Nightmare - Halsey
#17: Cool - Jonas Brothers
#16: Talk - Khalid/Disclosure
#15: Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! At The Disco
#14: Sucker - Jonas Brothers
#13: Who Do You Love - The Chainsmokers/5 Seconds of Summer
#12: If I Can't Have You - Shawn Mendes
#11: Dancing's Not a Crime - Panic! At The Disco
#10: If We Have Each Other - Alec Benjamin
#9: Easier - 5 Seconds of Summer
#8: Love Me Less - MAX/Quinn XCII
#7: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi
#6: Call You Mine - The Chainsmokers/Bebe Rexha
#5: Señorita - Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello
#4: You Need To Calm Down - Taylor Swift
#3: Old Town Road (Remix) - Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus
#2: I Don't Care - Ed Sheeran/Justin Bieber
#1: 100 Bad Days - AJR

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Without Me - Halsey
#4: This Feeling - The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini
#3: Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! At The Disco
#2: Happier - Marshmello/Bastille
#1: High Hopes - Panic! At The Disco

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Birds - Imagine Dragons/Elisa

Hit-Bound
Harder - Jax Jones/Bebe Rexha [3]
Roaring 20s - Panic! At The Disco [1]
All the Time - Zara Larsson [4]
Hate Me - Ellie Goulding/Juice WRLD [5]
The Hype - Twenty One Pilots [1]
The Archer - Taylor Swift [2]
Jesus In LA - Alec Benjamin [1]
How Do You Sleep? - Sam Smith [3]
Small Talk - Katy Perry [1]
boyfriend - Ariana Grande/Social House [1]
Look What God Gave Her - Thomas Rhett [5]
Beautiful People - Ed Sheeran/Khalid [2]
3 Nights - Dominic Fike [5]
Only Human - Jonas Brothers [5]
Good as Hell - Lizzo [1]

Our first new Hit-Bound song is yet another Panic! At The Disco song. Roaring 20s. It's nowhere near the best song on the album, but it was a really good album. I love the Broadway vibe it's giving off and you can really tell he spent some time there. The horns work surprisingly well with the song and the chorus is downright amazing. Hope this debuts. (It definitely will. A Panic! song would never slip past Hits 1)

I have to say, when I saw that Twenty One Pilots had a new song, I was pretty hyped. The Hype was not a disappointment. I like the feel-good vibe of this song, compared to Trench, and I hope this song makes it big, because Trench was kind of a flop. My only criticism with this is that it's 4 minutes long, but that's expected from Twenty One Pilots these days. So yeah, definitely worth the hype.

Our next song is Jesus In LA by Alec Benjamin. This song is pretty good. It's definitely better than Let Me Down Slowly, but not as good as If We Have Each Other. I have a feeling you guys won't like it, but the bridge is good, you have to admit it. Also, it will be a hit. (Yeah, not much to talk about.) :/

After Never Really Over, I didn't have much expectations for Katy Perry’s next single, Small Talk. But, consider me surprised because I find this song really really good. It's so catchy and Katy sounds great. Also, it's not produced by Zedd, so that's good. It really takes me back to the Teenage Dream Katy Perry. Definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. Fun fact: Charlie Puth.

Mmmmmmmgh!!!!! Why, Ariana!!! Stop making music!!! Take a break and rethink the direction you're going! I just really don't like Ariana Grande. boyfriend is too catchy and just sucks. Also, Social House adds nothing to the song.

Um…. I like a song by Lizzo. Shoot. But in all honesty, Good as Hell is nowhere near Truth Hurts. The piano here sounds really good, and her voice is actually not bad. I really like the chorus, and overall just a spectacular song that should become a hit. Also, that long note. Perfection.

Best Hit-Bound Entrant: Small Talk - Katy Perry

Hit-Bound Ranking
#15: boyfriend - Ariana Grande/Social House
#14: All the Time - Zara Larsson
#13: How Do You Sleep? - Sam Smith
#12: Harder - Jax Jones/Bebe Rexha
#11: Jesus In LA - Alec Benjamin
#10: 3 Nights - Dominic Fike
#9: Good as Hell - Lizzo
#8: Only Human - Jonas Brothers
#7: Look What God Gave Her - Thomas Rhett
#6: The Archer - Taylor Swift
#5: Beautiful People - Ed Sheeran/Khalid
#4: Hate Me - Ellie Goulding/Juice WRLD
#3: Roaring 20s - Panic! At The Disco
#2: The Hype - Twenty One Pilots
#1: Small Talk - Katy Perry

One Blurb Away

We lost 6 songs this week. I liked Chlorine, but it was old. I never really liked Dancing With A Stranger, so goodbye. I'm happy with the amount of success that Close To Me got. I stopped caring about mama’s house as soon as it debuted. I don't really care about Bazzi that much, so I was fine to see Paradise go, but Summer Days??? That song should have gotten so much more success.

I'm happy Sweet but Psycho dropped to #44. That song did not deserve that #2 peak.

Every time I sit here and type ME! with a peak of #2, I cry. I cannot stress this enough.

Geez, Goodbyes is flopping hard. Yikes.

Here With Me left the top 20. I feel like this was probably due since it wasn't a hit, and I'm happy with that #5 peak.

For some reason Make You Mine just hit #24. Not sure why, but I'll take it.

100 Bad Days jumped into the top 20. I’m not sure how, since no one likes AJR, but whatever.

You Need To Calm Down fell hard out of the top 10 entirely. Sucks.

Why do we have to let Truth Hurts into the top 10? I mean, come on people.

For some reason Easier is sitting at #5. Again, not sure how it got there, but that's okay.

YouTube 15
bad guy - Billie Eilish [12]
On My Way - Alan Walker/Sabrina Carpenter/Farruko [18]
July - Noah Cyrus [1]
Old Town Road (Remix) - Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus [18]
DOLLAR - Becky G/Myke Towers [4]
Dancing With A Stranger - Sam Smith/Normani [23]
OMG - Gryffin/Carly Rae Jepsen [1]
Señorita - Shawn Mendes/Camila Cabello [4]
Antisocial - Ed Sheeran/Travis Scott [4]
You Need To Calm Down - Taylor Swift [6]
Dance In The Dark - Au/Ra [1]
Talk - Khalid/Disclosure [14]
Runaway - Sebastian Yatra/Jonas Brothers/Daddy Yankee/Natti Natasha [7]
Truth Hurts - Lizzo [?]
boyfriend - Ariana Grande/Social House [1]

No Longer Trending
I Still Do - Why Don't We [1]
Single Again - Big Sean [1]
Bad Behaviour - Mabel [1]
Ballin’ Flossin’ - Chance the Rapper/Shawn Mendes [1]

1 comment:

  1. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Casting Crowns/Matthew West - Nobody

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)