Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Album Review #3: Lover by Taylor Swift

Let’s go! Album review #3! Sorry it’s been a while, but I’ve been busy working on my next project which you can read a beautiful poem about, if you haven’t already. Just keep scrolling. It’s there. So, a few days ago Taylor Swift released this amazing album called Lover. If you care what my opinion is, keep reading. If you don’t, I don’t know why you’re even here. Alright! Let’s start this thing! DISCLAIMER: The rating system is based on the other songs in the album, I just didn’t want to make everything 9/10. Got it? Good.

I Forgot That You Existed

This song is a fantastic opener. In fact, every song here is good (except maybe one), and this is apparently getting Taylor out of the reputation era, and it does a really great job doing that. The beat is great, Taylor sounds amazing and the writing is really good too. My favorite line is: “It isn’t love it isn’t hate it’s just indifference”. Great job Taylor, I’m already hyped for the rest of the album and I’ve heard it 4 times already.
9/10

Cruel Summer
This song reminds me of 1989 Taylor. It’s not bad, but I just like Lover Taylor much better. I’ve ran out of stuff to talk about with this song. The songwriting is pretty good. The beat’s not bad. The bridge is spectacular. I love the line “I love you, isn’t that the worst thing you ever heard?”
8/10

Lover
Hmm… this song disappointed me so much. I just really don’t find it good or interesting. I don’t hate it, I just don’t like it. I feel like the song kind of drags on for a long time. The chorus is okay, but I just really can’t feel this one. I’m sorry guys, I just wish The Archer got pushed instead of this one.
5/10

The Man
The songwriting in this song is probably the best in the whole album. The message is amazing and I think more people should realize that girls can do just as much as us guys. I love how Taylor just has these great messages and people listen to it. It surprises me that this is already hitting it pretty big even though it’s not a single, but good job Taylor. The beat is also great, it’s super catchy and just everything about it is good.
10/10

The Archer
I’m kind of sad Taylor didn’t push this as a single, and it got pushed off of Hits 1 by Lover. This song is just so beautiful. It’s unique and I love it. I heard Taylor perform this live in the Town Hall, and it sounded exactly the same. Which I realize now is the point, but yeah. I really wish this hit it big, and I’m disappointed that radio stations gave up on this.
10/10

I Think He Know
This song is pretty good. The bass is really good in this song and I love that it’s spotlighted in the first verse. I don’t really like how she goes really high in the chorus, but somehow it works with the song. The rest of the song is really good. The bridge isn’t as good as some other bridges here, but it’s not bad.
8/10

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince
Best song on the album. I LOVE everything about this song. I love how Taylor recorded herself multiple times to get the “Go! Fight! Win!” cheer in the bridge. The chorus here is amazing. The songwriting, putting into a high school is genius. Taylor sounds great in this and just everything about this song. The piano in the chorus is 10/10. Let’s go back to the bridge. I love how emotional this gets. The cheers are great, and that last line literally gives me the chills when it just stops. I love this song and I really want her to release it.
11/10 (I’ve never given this to any song before)

Paper Rings
This is a really close second for me. I love how they did everything retro here. Even the counting before the first is great and fitting. I like the tambourine a lot and that vocal effect that’s on Taylor’s voice. “EH! OH! UH! 1,2,1,2,3,4!” 10/10 backup vocals. *enthusiastic clapping* The bridge is also really good too. (When is it not? It’s Taylor Swift for goodness sake)
10/10

Cornelia Street
This is also a really good one. (Man, we’ve had a pretty good streak) This is how you make a Taylor Swift song. Her voice is great in the chorus and the songwriting is pretty good again. I think she’s got a good thing going here. I have a feeling this song is gonna be released.
9/10

Death By A Thousand Cuts
The guitar in this song is really great. I literally can’t stop jamming to this. The (chimes? I think) sound pretty great. The chorus is great, Taylor sounds great. (Yeah, this is pretty much the entire review just saying everything is good) the bridge is probably the best part of this song. You can really hear the emotion in her voice. I really like this song. Probably not as much as other songs in the album, but it’s still good.
8/10

London Boy
Not sure about the talking in the beginning, but that’s alright, she makes up for it. The chorus is pretty good and I love the “Darlin’ I fancy you” line. Yeah. Not much else to say about this one, (except that the bridge is good, but that’s kind of a given by this point) so let’s just wrap it up!
8/10

Soon You'll Get Better (feat. Dixie Chicks)
*genuinely cries* Aw man, these songs. It’s like Supermarket Flowers by Ed Sheeran. I can’t listen to it without crying. It’s a great song, but it just makes me sad every time I hear it. You can really hear the emotion in Taylor’s voice and I bet it was really hard for her to record it, since it’s about her mom. She’ll never release it, but I really like it. I literally can’t type right now, so I’ll just wrap it up with a 10/10.
10/10

False God
So apparently I’ve heard this song before. I remember the saxophone, but that’s about it. When I heard this song come on, I was like, “False God? Is that even a song on the album?” Yes. It is. All that being said, it’s not bad, it’s just not that memorable. The chorus is pretty good. I forgot what the bridge sounds like, but I bet it’s good. I find it weird how whenever she says “Love” it comes out “Lah” I just listened back to it and there is no bridge. Come on, Taylor.
7/10

You Need To Calm Down
Ah, yes. The song that everybody hates for no apparent reason. It’s a really good song guys, just accept that fact! The beat-thing-weird-I-don’t-really-know-what-to-call-it at the beginning sounds really good. Taylor sounds straight-up amazing in the chorus and I just really love it as a whole. I’d really like to see it hit #1 on the countdown. It’s getting there, just not yet.
9/10

Afterglow
BASS DRUM! Not a bad song, actually. Taylor sounds really good in the chorus and it’s really catchy. I love the vibe of this song, and it fits the album really well. So far, this has been a really good album and I’m so happy it lived up to my expectations.
9/10

ME! (feat. Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco)
So, I actually bought the album off of iTunes, and I had bought this song previously when it was a single, but now this song is just gone, so I’m reviewing it without hearing it, but it’s okay ‘cause I’ve heard it a lot. Yes, this is the song that should’ve been bigger. But because of one line, it wasn’t. Taylor and Brendon have great chemistry here and It’s just a lot of fun and I don’t know why it wasn’t bigger than it is.
10/10

It's Nice To Have A Friend
I don’t actually really like the vibe of the song or the backup vocals that much. It’s not bad, I get what the appeal might be, but I’m just really not feeling it. It feels really slow for me. There's really not much to it. The trumpet feels really out of place, and I don’t know. I’m just not feeling this one.
6/10

Daylight
For the album closer, it’s really good. I’m not exactly sure it would do so well as a single, but it seems that’s what’s gonna happen. Taylor’s voice sounds great, and I love a pretty song like this from her. Overall, just a really solid song and a great way to end the album. With a great bridge. ;)
8/10

Final Words
This is probably the best Taylor Swift album ever. I’d love to see her do more like this, but since she does a different style every album, that’s probably not gonna happen. I’d just like to end with these words.
“I wanna be defined by the things that I love. Not the things I hate. Not the things I’m afraid of. Or the things that haunt me in the middle of the night. I, I just think that you are what you love”
-Taylor Swift 2019

8 comments:

  1. I Forgot That You Existed
    "This song is a fantastic opener. In fact, every song here is good (except maybe one), and this is
    apparently getting Taylor out of the reputation era, and it does a really great job doing that. The
    beat is great, Taylor sounds amazing and the writing is really good too. My favorite line is: “It isn’t
    love it isn’t hate it’s just indifference”. Great job Taylor, I’m already hyped for the rest of the album
    and I’ve heard it 4 times already."

    I never heard that song yet. I must take a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cruel Summer
    "This song reminds me of 1989 Taylor. It’s not bad, but I just like Lover Taylor much better. I’ve ran
    out of stuff to talk about with this song. The songwriting is pretty good. The beat’s not bad. The
    bridge is spectacular. I love the line “I love you, isn’t that the worst thing you ever heard?”"

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lover
    "Hmm… this song disappointed me so much. I just really don’t find it good or interesting. I don’t hate
    it, I just don’t like it. I feel like the song kind of drags on for a long time. The chorus is okay, but I just
    really can’t feel this one. I’m sorry guys, I just wish The Archer got pushed instead of this one."

    IMO I love that song and it is still a wonderful song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Man
    "The songwriting in this song is probably the best in the whole album. The message is amazing and I
    think more people should realize that girls can do just as much as us guys. I love how Taylor just
    has these great messages and people listen to it. It surprises me that this is already hitting it pretty
    big even though it’s not a single, but good job Taylor. The beat is also great, it’s super catchy and
    just everything about it is good."

    IMO no it is not good at all. The lyrics sound fudging annoying and the curse words are horrible. I hate this kind of crappy song. It sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Archer
    "I’m kind of sad Taylor didn’t push this as a single, and it got pushed off of Hits 1 by Lover. This
    song is just so beautiful. It’s unique and I love it. I heard Taylor perform this live in the Town Hall,
    and it sounded exactly the same. Which I realize now is the point, but yeah. I really wish this hit it
    big, and I’m disappointed that radio stations gave up on this."

    IMO I am actually happy that The Archer flopped raido stations. Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Need To Calm Down
    "Ah, yes. The song that everybody hates for no apparent reason. It’s a really good song guys, just
    accept that fact! The beat-thing-weird-I-don’t-really-know-what-to-call-it at the beginning sounds
    really good. Taylor sounds straight-up amazing in the chorus and I just really love it as a whole. I’d
    really like to see it hit #1 on the countdown. It’s getting there, just not yet."

    IMO no it isn't and it won't hit #1 at all. YNTCD should leave the whole entire countdown. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ME! (feat. Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco)
    "So, I actually bought the album off of iTunes, and I had bought this song previously when it was a
    single, but now this song is just gone, so I’m reviewing it without hearing it, but it’s okay ‘cause I’ve
    heard it a lot. Yes, this is the song that should’ve been bigger. But because of one line, it wasn’t.
    Taylor and Brendon have great chemistry here and It’s just a lot of fun and I don’t know why it
    wasn’t bigger than it is."

    Eventual.... CRAP!!! THIS SONG SUCKS!!! IMO I absolutely hate when they say "Hey kids, spelling is fun." I think it is better without Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie saying "Hey kids, spelling is fun."

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)