Monday, April 18, 2022

Week of April 9, 2022 - Imagine Dragons/JID (3)

Welcome back to me playing catch-up! Wooh! Anyways, I finally revealed ten more songs on the Rankdown, so be sure to check that out if you haven't already! This week wasn't ridiculously interesting, but I still have some things to talk about, so let's get into it (yuh).

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
THATS WHAT I WANT - Lil Nas X (#29) [3 weeks at #1] {27 weeks}
abcdefu - GAYLE (#20) [#4] {17 weeks}

Last Week's #1: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID (2)

#30: I'm Tired - Labrinth/Zendaya (-) [#30] {3 weeks}
#29: Out of Time - The Weeknd (-5) [#24] {2 weeks}
#28: IDGAF - BoyWithUke/blackbear (-) [#28] {2 weeks}
#27: House On Fire - Mimi Webb (-6) [#21] {3 weeks}
#26: 2step - Ed Sheeran (+1) [#26] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#25: TO THE MOON - Jnr Choi/Sam Tompkins (+1) [#25] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#24: Freaky Deaky - Tyga/Doja Cat (-1) [#23] {3 weeks}
#23: When You're Gone - Shawn Mendes (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#22: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran (+3) [#21] {5 weeks}
#21: As It Was - Harry Styles (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#20: Closer - Saweetie/H.E.R. (-2) [#18] {8 weeks}
#19: Weatherman - Eddie Benjamin (+3) [#19] {7 weeks}
#18: Boyfriend - Dove Cameron (-1) [#13] {6 weeks}
#17: Dancing Feet - Kygo/DNCE (+2) [#14] {4 weeks}
#16: Big Energy - Latto (-9) [#7] {11 weeks}
#15: COMPLETE MESS - 5 Seconds of Summer (+1) [#12] {5 weeks}
#14: Sacrifice - The Weeknd (-5) [#4] {11 weeks}
#13: High - The Chainsmokers (-1) [#7] {10 weeks}
#12: Woman - Doja Cat (+3) [#12] {13 weeks} *new peak*
#11: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith (+3) [#11] {12 weeks} *new peak*
#10: One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd (+3) [#4] {22 weeks}
#9: she's all i wanna be - Tate McRae (+1) [#9] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#8: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa (+3) [#8] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#7: Overpass Graffiti - Ed Sheeran (-1) [5 weeks at #1] {21 weeks}
#6: When I'm Gone - Alesso/Katy Perry (+2) [#2] {7 weeks}
#5: Love It When You Hate Me - Avril Lavigne/blackbear (-) [#5] {10 weeks}
#4: The Motto - Tiësto/Ava Max (-) [#4] {9 weeks}
#3: Light Switch - Charlie Puth (-1) [#2] {11 weeks}
#2: Numb Little Bug - Em Beihold (+1) [#2] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#1: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID (-) [3rd week at #1] {11 weeks}

Last Year's #1: willow - Taylor Swift [3/4 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: 10 Things I Hate About You - Leah Kate

Our first debut this week comes from Shawn Mendes, and his newest, When You're Gone. Now, I'm not gonna say that I dislike Shawn Mendes, because that would be far from the truth. He's an excellent melody writer, probably one of the best out there right now, and he has a great voice. But I seem to get sick of his songs really quickly, and I think I know why. Almost all of the songs I've heard from him have been extremely surface level. There's not too much to unpack, and pretty much everything interesting about the song is presented to you and apparent immediately. Which makes me lose interest in the songs really quickly, because when you've heard everything a song has to offer, and then hear it 80+ times, it gets annoying. But with this new song, I feel like there's still more I have to uncover, which is something I've never really felt before with a Shawn song. Will I still get tired of this song? I might, but for now, I'm really enjoying this one. There's so much to like here, from the writing to his ShawnScream™ in the last couple of choruses. This is another one of those songs that sounds happy, but has sad lyrics, which is something that I love in a song, and I'm still not really sure why. Shawn sounds great here, and his voice compliments the production here pretty well. Speaking of the production, it's nothing too in-your-face, but is still super upbeat and moves the song along quite nicely. Overall, this is a really great song, and I'd love to see it do well here.

Well, after almost a full year, Harry Styles scores his tenth solo song on the Weekend Countdown with his newest Hot 100 #1, As It Was. I've had my ups and downs with Harry's music, with some of his songs being really great, like Sign of the Times and Watermelon Sugar, and some of his songs being absolutely awful, like Adore You and Golden. And obviously, we all know how Hits 1 treats his songs, so that definitely doesn't help my opinion on his songs. But with this new one, honestly, I'm kinda feeling it. It's certainly not the best thing I've heard from him, but it's far from the worst too. For starters, there's this really great melody that pops in every once in a while, and I still love it. Honestly, one of the problems I have with this song is that it doesn't come back often enough. Because when it's not there, the song gets kinda slow and a little boring. The chorus is kinda underwhelming, and the first time, it's hard to even realize that you're in the chorus. But the song evolves as it goes on, so that's good. Harry sounds quite good here too, which is nice. The bridge is kinda weird, and I'm still not a huge fan of it, but the instrumental after the bridge is easily my favourite part of the song. So yeah, for now, I don't mind this one at all. But check in on me a year from now when this is at #1 for its 50th week in a row, and I'll let you know how I feel about it then.

Best Debut: When You're Gone - Shawn Mendes

Biggest Drop: Big Energy - Latto (-9): Oh, come on, Hits 1. This song is easily one of the best songs on radio right now, and they're letting it drop simply because it's a rap song. You've gotta be kidding me.

Biggest Jump: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran, Weatherman - Eddie Benjamin, Woman - Doja Cat, Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith, One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd & Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa (+3): Well, this isn't much of a jump, but I guess I'm happy to see most of them jump (except for Weatherman. That song is hot trash).

Countdown Ranking

0 - Awful:
#30: Weatherman - Eddie Benjamin

1 - Bad:
#29: I'm Tired - Labrinth/Zendaya

2 - Mediocre:
NONE!

3 - Decent:
#28: Woman - Doja Cat
#27: High - The Chainsmokers
#26: As It Was - Harry Styles
#25: Overpass Graffiti - Ed Sheeran

4 - Good:
#24: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith
#23: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa
#22: COMPLETE MESS - 5 Seconds of Summer
#21: When I'm Gone - Alesso/Katy Perry
#20: Boyfriend - Dove Cameron
#19: One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd
#18: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran
#17: 2step - Ed Sheeran
#16: The Motto - Tiësto/Ava Max

5 - Great:
#15: Sacrifice - The Weeknd
#14: Closer - Saweetie/H.E.R.
#13: TO THE MOON - Jnr Choi/Sam Tompkins
#12: Love It When You Hate Me - Avril Lavigne/blackbear
#11: House On Fire - Mimi Webb
#10: Light Switch - Charlie Puth
#9: When You're Gone - Shawn Mendes
#8: Freaky Deaky - Tyga/Doja Cat
#7: Big Energy - Latto
#6: IDGAF - BoyWithUke/blackbear
#5: Numb Little Bug - Em Beihold
#4: she's all i wanna be - Tate McRae
#3: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID
#2: Out of Time - The Weeknd
#1: Dancing Feet - Kygo/DNCE

Overall Score: 127/150 = 85%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Big Energy - Latto, Sacrifice - The Weeknd, Light Switch - Charlie Puth & Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID {11 weeks}
#4: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith {12 weeks}
#3: Woman - Doja Cat {13 weeks}
#2: Overpass Graffiti - Ed Sheeran {21 weeks}
#1: One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd {22 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Lost - Frank Ocean

My Top 10 Songs Last Year
#10: WITHOUT YOU - The Kid LAROI (#13)
#9: drivers license - Olivia Rodrigo (#5)
#8: First Time - ILLENIUM/iann dior (#24)
#7: Too Late - Cash Cash/Wiz Khalifa/Lukas Graham (#26)
#6: My Head & My Heart - Ava Max (#8)
#5: forget me too - Machine Gun Kelly/Halsey (#6)
#4: pov - Ariana Grande (#12)
#3: Overdrive - Conan Gray (#4)
#2: Astronaut In The Ocean - Masked Wolf (#20)
#1: Way Less Sad - AJR (#15)

Most Missed Song: One Dance - Drake/WizKid/Kyla

Hit-Bound
In My Head - 24kGoldn/Travis Barker [3]
Hot Crush Lover - Blu DeTiger [1]
Go The Distance - New Rules [1]
this is what falling in love feels like - JVKE [1]
All 4 Nothing (I'm So In Love) - Lauv [1]
let you - iann dior [6]
sunburn - almost monday [1]
Checkmate - Jena Rose [6]
Don't Lose Sight - Lawrence [5]
10 Things I Hate About You - Leah Kate [3]
make up sex - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear [3]
Sunroof - Nicky Youre/dazy [8]
HANDSOMER (Remix) - Russ/Ktlyn [1]
I Can't Help But Feel - Surfaces [2]
Fair - Normani [1]

Abyss
Bones - Imagine Dragons
Chosen - Blxst/Tyga/Ty Dolla $ign
Don't Forget My Love - Diplo/Miguel
I Love You So - The Walters
iPad - The Chainsmokers
love nwantiti (ah ah ah) - CKay
Peru - Fireboy DML/Ed Sheeran
Remind Me - Tom Grennan

Remember Blu DeTiger? She had a song on Hit-Bound a couple years ago called Figure It Out, and it didn't really do much, but she's back with her new song, Hot Crush Lover. This song is definitely more interesting than Figure It Out. I'm not a huge fan of her voice, she's definitely got that underwhelming, TikTok-er voice, but I'd say that the production mostly makes up for it. The song's really groovy and fun, and I like the momentum that it never really drops. The chorus is pretty catchy, even if it's nothing too special or memorable. So yeah, overall, this song isn't too memorable, and I probably won't be able to remember what it sounds like in a month or two, but it's enjoyable.

Next up is New Rules, and before you ask, no, not the Dua Lipa song. Apparently this is a band. Anyways, they bring their new song, Go The Distance this week. I mostly like this song. The melodies throughout it are really good, and I particularly like the production here, it all comes together quite well, but I have one issue with this song. The guy singing sounds good in the verses, but whoever comes in at the chorus sounds a little like Giveon, except with a less powerful voice. It definitely doesn't ruin the song like another Hit-Bound song that's here now (looking at you, Surfaces), but it keeps it from being great, which it easily could've been.

Next up is JVKE, and yeah, I have no clue who this dude is. But if this song, this is what falling in love feels like, is any indication, I don't like him. This song is so bad that it's almost kinda laughable. For starters, it's ridiculously short, clocking in at 2:00. And the song structure is really weird. It goes through two different sections that sound completely different from one another and really shouldn't be in the same song. It goes, section 1, section 2, section 1. Then the song's over. Yeah. Section 1 has super overblown production that honestly just hurts my ears, and in section 2, JVKE sounds really awful. Yeah, so each section has its own problems, and when it all comes together in what's hardly a song, it makes for a really bad one. I'd rather not hear this again, although it is kinda fun to laugh at just how bad this is.

When I first heard this new Lauv song, All 4 Nothing, I definitely didn't expect it to get a single airplay add. But, to my surprise, this is actually gaining traction on pop radio. And I'm pretty happy that it is, because it's a pretty great little song. I've always liked Lauv's voice, it's pretty unique, which makes it pretty polarizing, but I like it. Anyways, this song is really catchy. It's in a weird mid-tempo, where it's not too upbeat, but it's far from a slow song too, because it has a certain drive. Which I'm not a huge fan of, but whatever. I can't really understand what Lauv's saying a lot of the time, but that's just kinda the pop artist inflection, so I can't really complain about that too much. But yeah, overall, this is a catchy, fun song that has great, upbeat production.

almost monday return to Hits 1 this week with a second song after til the end of time, sunburn. I'm unsure how I feel about this song. It's extremely forgettable, and I'm not a huge fan of the dude's voice, but I definitely don't hate it. I actually kinda enjoy it? I don't know. I need some more listens to really decide, but I'll put it in pink for now. I have a feeling it won't really matter anyways.

So Russ... exists. I've never had to review his music before, but I guess I have to now, because the Ktlyn remix of HANDSOMER debuted on Hit-Bound this week. Um... this is a song. It's really stupid, Russ doesn't sound amazing, but he's far from bad. The production is pretty bad, and the lyrics are really terribly written, but... I don't hate it? I don't know, I also feel like I have to listen to this more, but for now, it has clear problems, but it's kinda fun?

Next up is the second-most successful Fifth Harmony member, Normani, and her new song, Fair. I've never been a huge R&B fan, even though I have respect for the genre. I just find it kinda boring, but the artists are definitely talented. Yeah, I don't really like this one. Don't get me wrong, Normani sounds great here, and the melody in the chorus is great, but I get so bored with this song that I literally got distracted while writing this review. I'd be fine with not ever hearing this song again.

This week, we say goodbye to Don't Forget My Love, Remind Me, Bones, Tom's Diner and MF. The first three find themselves in the Abyss, so I'm not sad that they're gone, because they'll all probably debut. As for the other two, Tom's Diner was awful, so I'm extremely glad it's gone. As for MF, it was forgettable but fun, so I'm kinda sad to see it go.

Best Hit-Bound Debut: All 4 Nothing (I'm So In Love) - Lauv

Hit-Bound/Abyss Ranking

0 - Awful:
#23: this is what falling in love feels like - JVKE
#22: I Love You So - The Walters

1 - Bad:
#21: I Can't Help But Feel - Surfaces

2 - Mediocre:
#20: Fair - Normani
#19: HANDSOMER (Remix) - Russ/Ktlyn

3 - Decent:
#18: sunburn - almost monday
#17: Hot Crush Lover - Blu DeTiger
#16: love nwantiti (ah ah ah) - CKay
#15: Peru - Fireboy DML/Ed Sheeran

4 - Good:
#14: 10 Things I Hate About You - Leah Kate
#13: Go The Distance - New Rules
#12: Checkmate - Jena Rose
#11: iPad - The Chainsmokers

5 - Great:
#10: make up sex - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#9: All 4 Nothing (I'm So In Love) - Lauv
#8: Remind Me - Tom Grennan
#7: Don't Forget My Love - Diplo/Miguel
#6: Sunroof - Nicky Youre/dazy
#5: In My Head - 24kGoldn/Travis Barker
#4: let you - iann dior
#3: Don't Lose Sight - Lawrence
#2: Chosen - Blxst/Tyga/Ty Dolla $ign
#1: Bones - Imagine Dragons

Overall Score: 83/115 = 72%

You Know It's Not the Same As It Blurbs

This week, we say goodbye to THATS WHAT I WANT and abcdefu. I got kinda tired of abcdefu, and it did quite well here, so I'm not disappointed that it's gone. As for THATS WHAT I WANT, even though it spent three weeks at #1, I still love it so much, so I'm still sad to see it go.

Both Out of Time and House On Fire dropped a bunch this week, and I'm not sure why. Hopefully they'll both rebound.

Seems like Sacrifice will be out soon, which is fine, it's far from the best Weeknd song.

Ugh, When I'm Gone jumped back up again. I'm starting to get tired of this one.

Numb Little Bug is up at #2, which is great! I'd love to see it hit #1 here (although I know it won't, because Em Beihold isn't a white man or Taylor/Olivia).

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: Heat Waves - Glass Animals
#2: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber
#3: Big Energy - Latto
#5: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID
#6: Ghost - Justin Bieber
#7: abcdefu - GAYLE
#8: We Don't Talk About Bruno - Encanto Cast
#9: THATS WHAT I WANT - Lil Nas X
#10: Woman - Doja Cat
#11: Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran
#12: Easy On Me - Adele
#13: Shivers - Ed Sheeran
#14: Cold Heart (Remix) - Elton John/Dua Lipa/PNAU
#15: Levitating - Dua Lipa
#16: Need to Know - Doja Cat
#17: Save Your Tears (Remix) - The Weeknd/Ariana Grande
#19: One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd
#21: INDUSTRY BABY - Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow
#22: pushin P - Gunna/Future/Young Thug
#23: I Hate U - SZA
#27: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
#30: Light Switch - Charlie Puth
#31: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith
#32: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa
#33: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd
#34: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran
#37: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes
#42: The Motto - Tiësto/Ava Max
#44: she's all i wanna be - Tate McRae
#45: love nwantiti (ah ah ah) - CKay
#46: Numb Little Bug - Em Beihold
#47: Boyfriend - Dove Cameron
#52: Circles Around This Town - Maren Morris
#53: Peru - Fireboy DML/Ed Sheeran
#54: TO THE MOON - Jnr Choi/Sam Tompkins
#59: make up sex - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#63: HANDSOMER (Remix) - Russ/Ktlyn
#72: Freaky Deaky - Tyga/Doja Cat
#78: Tom's Diner - AnnenMayKantereit/Giant Rooks
#84: emo girl - Machine Gun Kelly/WILLOW
#85: High - The Chainsmokers
#90: I Love You So - The Walters
#92: Bones - Imagine Dragons
#96: Closer - Saweetie/H.E.R.

Hunger Games Countdown Top 10
#10: Faking Love - Anitta/Saweetie
#9: Paralyzed - Sueco
#8: PS5 - salem ilese/TOMORROW X TOGETHER/Alan Walker
#7: Celebrity Skin - Doja Cat
#6: Freaky Deaky - Tyga/Doja Cat
#5: Big Energy - Latto
#4: Crisis - Joshua Bassett
#3: Numb Little Bug - Em Beihold
#2: Jigsaw - Conan Gray
#1: Closer - Saweetie/H.E.R.

If the Countdown Made Sense Top 10
#10: The Motto - Tiësto/Ava Max
#9: she's all i wanna be - Tate McRae
#8: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran
#7: Light Switch - Charlie Puth
#6: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa
#5: Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith
#4: One Right Now - Post Malone/The Weeknd
#3: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID
#2: Big Energy - Latto
#1: Woman - Doja Cat

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

12 comments:

  1. First

    FC is #1 on Hot 100 and will soon be #1 on BillboArd GLobal 200

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Rainfall - Tom Santa

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Doja Cat just announced that she will be quitting music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is old news, plus, she's just clowning. There's no way she's actually quitting.

      Delete
    2. Did she say that on April 1st?

      Delete
  4. Which one is worse in your opinion, This is what Falling in Love Feels like or Pushin P?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really mind either song, but I really like Pushin P, because I tend to like songs that I find funny and I think Pushin P is very funny.

      Delete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)