Saturday, January 2, 2021

My Bottom 10 Songs of 2020

Hey, folks! So I'm a generally positive person, as is pretty obvious in my posts. There's not too many songs that I hate, my posts are normally a sea of green and blue, but that's not to say that there aren't bad songs that popped up throughout the year. So today, I bring you my ten least favourite songs of the year. This year, since I was listening to the Hot 100 more, I'm including any song that made it to Billboard's Year-End list. I would've included any song that spent at least one week in the Top 40, but there was one real problem and that was GOOBA by 6ix9ine. It would've ended up in the top 5, but I had only heard it a few times. So maybe next year, I'll include that rule, but not this year. Other than that, any song that spent at least a week on the Countdown is also eligible that I didn't put in last year's list. (So no Truth Hurts or Nightmare)

First, here's some dishonourable mentions that didn't quite make the list:
  • Cuz I Love You - Lizzo
  • Die From A Broken Heart - Maddie & Tae
  • Memories - Maroon 5
  • my future - Billie Eilish
  • Say So - Doja Cat
  • Yummy - Justin Bieber
Alright, let's do this thing!

#10: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton
Yeah, so there were some pretty bad songs to come out of Tik Tok this year. Even though I think it's pretty cool what Tik Tok is doing to the music industry and they helped a lot of new artists break out this (and last) year, such as Doja Cat, 24kGoldn, Surfaces, Lizzo and Roddy Ricch, some of the songs that came out of it were pretty annoying and had no reason to be on the radio. A much better example of a song like that will be coming up soon, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people know what song I'm talking about, but we'll get there soon. But yeah, this song was also pretty bad. I think the main reason that this song wasn't higher on my list is because I totally get the appeal. The song's extremely groovy and the production's low-key really good, but I just find this song really annoying. BENEE's voice is already pretty autotuned and doesn't sound that great. Mind you, it's not Ritt Momney-level autotuned, but it's definitely noticeable. Then Gus Dapperton comes in with his bridge and he just sounds absolutely terrible. Other than that, the song's fine, but it was also just played way too much on radio.

#9: Got What I Got - Jason Aldean
I've never really been a country fan and although a couple country songs managed to really hit well with me, as you'll see in my best list, that still doesn't mean that there weren't some bad country songs this year too. This is a fantastic example of that. I actually have no clue who thought that a country ballad was a good idea, but whoever it was should be fired immediately. On top of country singer's voices having way too much of a southern accent for me to like in the slightest, Jason Aldean just isn't that good of a singer. The production is pretty much non-existent and to sustain a song like that, you have to have a very good voice, of which Jason Aldean does not.

#8: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee
Yeah, so this was the song that I was referencing earlier in Supalonely's review when I mentioned songs that became big because of Tik Tok and never should've been on the radio or even anywhere close to it. If you're reading this, you're probably familiar by now of what this song is. But if you're not, I'll break it down for you. So basically, there's a sample of a song from beabadoobee called Coffee and it's four lines. AND IT RUNS THROUGH THE ENTIRE SONG. Over and over again. Then, Powfu comes in and raps OVER TOP OF THE SAMPLE. Yeah, I'm not sure why he thought that was a good idea. It's not like the writing's that great either. It's about this guy dying young, but Powfu's lyrics really don't cut it here. On top of that, Hits 1 edited it to make it sound like a breakup? I don't really get why that was necessary. Oh yeah, also, if you guys want proof of why it shouldn't have been on the radio, this song was originally just called death bed, but radio stations just kept calling it coffee for your head, because it would make more sense if you were just listening to the song, so Powfu had to add it in parenthesis at the end of the song.

#7: Haunt You - X Lovers/chloe moriondo
Yeah, so Hits 1 introduced this thing this year called Hits Ones to Watch where they basically just pick a new, upcoming artist and give them a little push, giving them enough airplay to just barely be on the Countdown and then just see if Hits 1 listeners like it and want to keep it around. For some odd reason, they decided that for the month of October, they really wanted these guys X Lovers, to be their next One to Watch. This song is absolutely horrible. None of the singers here sound that good to support a slower song like this and it's not like the production is interesting enough to bring the song up either. Yeah, this just sucks and it should never have debuted the Countdown.

#6: Bluebird - Miranda Lambert
Ugh, country music. Why must you be a somewhat popular genre? For some reason, this song was somewhat of a hit. I don't even really feel like talking about it. I think if you listened to it, you would understand exactly why I don't like it. It's another slow country song, Miranda Lambert sounds pretty bad and THAT GUITAR. UGH! It's almost as grating as the guitar in You should be sad by Halsey. (Yes, I admit it even though I like that song)

#5: Daisies - Katy Perry
Gosh, I'm so glad that this song wasn't a hit. It was from Katy's new album, Smile (which I didn't listen to), and I think Katy's pretty much gone. She had some fantastic songs back in the early 2010s, but then she released stuff like Never Really Over and Small Talk, which were just alright, followed by Harleys In Hawaii, which was honestly just a really stupid song and then this came out. This song just has no reason to exist whatsoever. It starts off just being boring and if that was the entire song, it would've been just mediocre, but then the chorus hits. Oh, geez. Why does she scream? Why did she need to scream? Who decided it was a good idea for her to scream? Was it her idea? Do her producers enjoy the sound of her screaming? Does anyone enjoy the sound of her screaming? Will her child enjoy the sound of her screaming? Will her child enjoy any of her music? Will her child even realize her parents are famous? What's her child's name anyways? Oh... it's Daisy. Oh boy.

These were just some of the questions that crossed my mind while I was listening to this song just now.

#4: We Paid - Lil Baby/42 Dugg
So I became a rap fan this year and if I'm being honest, this song almost prevented me from being able to say this. Both artists just sound terrible here and it's not like the production's at all interesting or even that good. Honestly, I've probably only listened to this song in full twice, because I skipped it so much.

#3: Adore You - Harry Styles
So I came into this with every single intention of putting this as my #1 least favourite song this year. But, I just couldn't bring myself to make this my least favourite of the year. The next two songs were honestly just worse. This was easily the worst Harry Styles song of the year and it kick-started Hits 1's trend of bringing every single one of his songs to #1 for way too many weeks. The only reason that I can excuse this more than the next song is because it was actually somewhat of a hit, peaking in the top 10 of the Hot 100. But yeah, this should not have been a hit. The song as a whole is just really boring and Harry honestly just doesn't sound good here either. On top of that, this song was just played way too much and it got ridiculously annoying. I'm very glad that it left the Countdown somewhat quickly.

#2: Moral of the Story - Ashe/Niall Horan
This song was fine back when it was just Ashe, but did Niall Horan seriously have to remix it? It just made Hits 1 suddenly fall in love with it and send it to #1 for six weeks, a feat it did not deserve. Plus, Niall actually just made the song worse. He normally sounds pretty good in his songs, but he just did not sound good in this. I'm mostly just upset that this was such a hit on Hits 1 and for such an obvious reason and I think that's why this is so high on the list.

Alright, here we go, my least favourite song of the year...













































#1: Bang! - AJR
Whoops, wrong list.









#1: Heather - Conan Gray
So I don't want to be too much of a copycat here, as Waffle kind of just revealed this as his #1 and I didn't even originally plan to put this at #1, but it just sucks. SO MUCH. Our first impression of Conan Gray was with Maniac and I will forever be grateful for that, because if this was his first single? I would have probably hated this guy. First of all, the writing is super confusing. He doesn't clarify whatsoever what the situation is here, so basically we just know that somebody's LGBTQ+. Himself? The person he's dating? Heather? Who knows. On top of that, he doesn't sound that great, especially when he shouts "wish I were Heather". Also, the production's just super boring. This shouldn't have hit the Hot 100 either. Yeah, this sucks and it needs to leave the Countdown soon.

Hope you guys had fun reading this, it was actually quite fun to write and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Kwaheri, everybody and please do Community Rankings. It's more crucial than ever, because we're gonna be ranking the entire year at the end!

38 comments:

  1. Dude I am in full support of other people putting that as their #1 lol. Good list overall, the only songs you even mentioned that I like are Say So and Supalonely, the latter of which you even said you get the appeal of and I actually get why people might not like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tbh, I'm turning around a bit on Say So. It's not as bad as I remember, which is why it didn't make the list.

      Delete
  2. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 28 spins
    Bitter: 18 spins
    Go Crazy: 17 spins
    Deep End: 16 spins
    34+35: 16 spins
    Goodbye: 16 spins
    SO DONE: 10 spins
    One Whole Day: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI I might ask u to switch my #1 and #2 on the community rankings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, just tell me when you're certain.

      Delete
    2. If exile was #1 keep it like that, if Mind is a prison is #1 switch it with exile and put it at number #2

      Delete
    3. exile's #1, you're good.

      Delete
  4. I think the Hits 1 to Watch thing pretty much existed in the past until they decided to bring it back sometime later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEW MUSIC ALERT: Dance like nobody’s watching by Iggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 30 spins
    Bitter: 18 spins
    Go Crazy: 17 spins
    Goodbye: 17 spins
    SO DONE: 14 spins
    Deep End: 14 spins
    34+35: 14 spins
    One Whole Day: 1 whole spin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Keaton, if you're reading this, I'm gonna need you to go back into Community Rankings and clearly number your list, because I'm not sure which one is #1 and which one is #9. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guys Bang is #11 on the Hot 100 right now I’m dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And If All I Want for Christmas Is You had've actually left this week, it would be a top 10 hit. That's absolutely insane.

      Delete
  9. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 30 spins
    Bitter: 23 spins
    Goodbye: 23 spins
    Go Crazy: 22 spins
    SO DONE: 19 spins
    Deep End: 17 spins
    34+35: 16 spins
    One Whole Day: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hit-bound prediction:
    Entrances: Magic, Dance like nobody’s watching, Tick Tock, Together (Re-entry),Breaking Me (RE-ENTRY), Treat People with Kindness.
    Dropouts: Anyone, and Fix It to Break It.
    Sound Of the week: In the Morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Together and Breaking Me are definitely not gonna re-enter Hit-Bound.

      Delete
    2. And Anyone definitely isn’t dropping out either

      Delete
  11. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 32 spins
    Go Crazy: 22 spins
    Goodbye: 18 spins
    SO DONE: 17 spins
    Bitter: 16 spins
    34+35: 13 spins
    Deep End: 12 spins
    One Whole Day: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let stay next to me enter the countdown because it has the most spins with 32

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly doubt this one will be this month's Hits 1 to Watch.

      Delete
  13. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 29 spins
    Go Crazy: 22 spins
    Bitter: 19 spins
    Goodbye: 19 spins
    SO DONE: 18 spins
    Deep End: 12 spins
    34+35: 12 spins
    In The Morning: 12 spins
    Anyone: 2 spins
    One Whole Day: 1 spin

    ReplyDelete
  14. So is it ether stay next to me or holding on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's entirely possible that it's neither. I honestly have no clue.

      Delete
  15. Top 10 predictions:
    #10 you broke me first
    #9 save myself
    #8 baby I’m jealous
    #7 monsters
    #6 positions
    #5 golden
    #4 therefore I am
    #3 wonder
    #2 my ex’s best friend
    #1 LEVITATING!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Stay Next To Me: 23 spins
    Go Crazy: 21 spins
    SO DONE: 18 spins
    Goodbye: 17 spins
    Bitter: 16 spins
    Deep End: 11 spins
    In The Morning: 11 spins
    34+35: 9 spins
    Anyone: 2 spins

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’m starting a club with you guys like: Beluga, Waffle, My Hits 1, Tyler, Chase, Unknown, Artie, and 13Bubby. And I’m the leader.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hitbound is starting now! Beluga was right that anyone wouldn’t leave tbh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Songs so far:
    Deep end
    Anyone
    Fly away
    Body
    Goodbye
    Go crazy
    Stay next to me
    Never the 1
    So done
    34+35
    Still continuing...
    One whole day
    Still continuing...
    But these are the most whatuwanted songs:
    You broke me first
    Levitating
    Golden
    Don’t worry I’ll make another comment

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m back
    Fix it to break it
    In the morning
    Most whatuwanted: wonder
    Bitter
    Will broke boy enter the COUNTDOWN?! OMG OMG
    Hawaí
    OMG ITS EXCITING
    Nvm NOOOOOOO broke boy is still on hitbound
    Wait did blueberry eyes enter the countdown?

    ReplyDelete
  21. COUNTDOWNREVIEWA! We miss you. Ok.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)