Saturday, December 12, 2020

Week of December 12, 2020 - Harry Styles (1)

Harry Styles (1)
(Quick Editor's Note: This has actually been finished for hours and I just forgot to put it on my blog from the Google Doc... oops)

Ahhhhhh. I’m SO DONE with Hits 1 right now. (Pun definitely intended; if you’re not sure why that’s a pun, you’ll find out) Anyways, elephant in the room. I didn’t get my Hot 100 post out yesterday. I’ve been kind of busy with Year-End posts and life in general, so we’ll see what happens with that. It’s definitely not ending though, but I may take a break and just do a catch-up post in January. I don’t know. We’ll get there when we get there. OH MY GOSH I ALMOST FORGOT! I finally finished the 2019 Ultimate Rank after nearly a year of reveals, so if you want to read all of that, the link can be found here. Here’s the list of exits for this week.

Songs We’re Saying Goodbye To
Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear (#25) [#25] {3 weeks}
Falling - Harry Styles (#15) [6 weeks at #1] {14 weeks}
Small Talk - Niall Horan (#6) [#5] {7 weeks}

Last Week’s #1: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (3)

#30: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent (DEBUT) [13* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#29: Holding On - iann dior (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#28: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber (DEBUT) [2 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#27: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X (+3) [#22] {4 weeks}
#26: Bummerland - AJR (+3) [#26] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#25: going out - ROLE MODEL (+3) [#25] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#24: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco (+2) [#24] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#23: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd (+4) [#23] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#22: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa (+2) [#22] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#21: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke (+2) [#20] {9 weeks}
#20: Heather - Conan Gray (-7) [#6] {20 weeks}
#19: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo (-3) [#16] {6 weeks}
#18: Bang! - AJR (-10) [#3] {17 weeks}
#17: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney (+4) [#17] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#16: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper (+1) [#16] {12 weeks}
#15: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat (+4) [#15] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#14: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid (+4) [#11] {20 weeks}
#13: Dynamite - BTS (+7) [#13] {11 weeks} *new peak*
#12: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior (-) [#2] {16 weeks}
#11: you broke me first - Tate McRae (-2) [#7] {11 weeks}
#10: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear (+4) [#8] {11 weeks}
#9: Diamonds - Sam Smith (+1) [#9] {12 weeks} *new peak*
#8: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We (+3) [#8] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#7: Save Myself - Ashe (-2) [#3] {13 weeks}
#6: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear (-3) [#2] {13 weeks}
#5: positions - Ariana Grande (+2) [#5] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#4: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (+18) [#4] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#3: Wonder - Shawn Mendes (-2) [3 weeks at #1] {10 weeks}
#2: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby (-) [#2] {9 weeks}
#1: Golden - Harry Styles (+3) [1st week at #1] {7 weeks} *new peak*

Last Year’s #1: Nice To Meet Ya - Niall Horan [2/8 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Goodbye - Shaylen

Our first debut this week comes in at #30 and I seriously didn’t expect this to debut. It’s Overwhelmed by Royal & the Serpent. This song’s decent. Overall, I think the production’s kind of odd, but I like her voice and the chorus is pretty good. Yeah, not much else to say about this one, except I hope it does decently.

So our next debut at #29 skipped Hit-Bound and I’m pretty sure it’ll be named the next One to Watch next week. It’s iann dior with his brand new song Holding On. This isn’t nearly as good as Mood. But, that’s not to say that it isn’t good. The chorus is super catchy and he sounds great in the verses. My only problem with this song is that he’s singing a bit low for his range in the chorus. I seriously hope that it’s the next One to Watch.

I’m really happy that this next song ended up debuting so soon, because I was a little nervous it would take a while to debut. It’s Monster by Shawn Mendes and Justin Bieber from Mendes’ brand new album, Wonder, which came out last week. I listened to it and I’d say that this is the best song from it. Both artists sound great here and I love the production here. The writing’s also pretty good and I think that’s one thing that Justin Bieber’s been doing pretty well lately. I seriously hope that this does well.

Monsters by All Time Low and blackbear got a remix this week, this time around adding Demi Lovato. Do I think this is better than the original? No, not really. I don’t think Demi fits too well with the song and I’m still trying to decide if what she did with the production in blackbear’s verse made that part better or worse. That being said, it’s still a great song.

Best Debut: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber

Biggest DROP!!!: Bang! - AJR (-10): Awwww. I really wanted this to hit #1. It’s actually still gaining in pop radio and I was hoping that since Hits 1 really likes AJR, they could let this go to #1. Oh well, it’s probably gonna make Year-End anyways.

Biggest Jump: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish (+18): Why is this in the top 5? I guess it’s the best Billie Eilish hit (I say hit because all the good girls go to hell did freakin' NOTHING even though it was great) to be the first one to make it into the top 5, but it’s still not good.

Countdown Ranking

0 - Crap:
#30: Heather - Conan Gray
#29: Golden - Harry Styles

1 - Bad:
#28: going out - ROLE MODEL
#27: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish

2 - Mediocre:
#26: Put Your Records On - Ritt Momney
#25: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco

3 - Decent:
#24: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#23: Save Myself - Ashe
#22: Overwhelmed - Royal & the Serpent
#21: Save Your Tears - The Weeknd

4 - Good:
#20: Bummerland - AJR
#19: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#18: Baby, I’m Jealous - Bebe Rexha/Doja Cat
#17: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#16: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#15: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa
#14: Holding On - iann dior

5 - Great:
#13: Take You Dancing - Jason Derulo
#12: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#11: Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear
#10: Dynamite - BTS
#9: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#8: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#7: Bang! - AJR
#6: Fallin’ (Adrenaline) - Why Don’t We
#5: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#4: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#2: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber
#1: positions - Ariana Grande

Overall Score: 111/150 = 74%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper & Diamonds - Sam Smith {12 weeks}
#4: Save Myself - Ashe & Monsters - All Time Low/Demi Lovato/blackbear {13 weeks}
#3: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior {16 weeks}
#2: Bang! - AJR {17 weeks}
#1: Heather - Conan Gray & Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid {20 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: A Little Bit Yours - JP Saxe

My Favourite Song Last Year: ROXANNE - Arizona Zervas

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Truth Hurts - Lizzo

Most Missed Countdown Song: Love The Way You Lie - Eminem/Rihanna

Hit-Bound
Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA [6]
Deep End - Fousheé [1]
Never the 1 - ROSIE [6]
Goodbye - Shaylen [6]
SO DONE - The Kid LAROI [1]
Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur [2]
willow - Taylor Swift [1]
Broke Boy - Malia Civetz [10*]
One Whole Day - Dixie D’Amelio/Wiz Khalifa [1]
Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito [4]
Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane [4]
Fly Away - Tones And I [4]
Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd [4]
34+35 - Ariana Grande [5]
Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug [4; 2nd time*]

So our first Hit-Bound debut this week is Deep End by Fousheé. I feel like sometimes people just stream TikTok songs for the sole reason that they’re TikTok songs and they don’t actually like them. Because who could actually like this song? Fousheé’s voice has some weird vocal effect on it and especially in the pre-chorus she sounds really bad because she’s singing really high and practically whispering. The chorus is fine, I guess, but overall this is just quite bad.

The Kid LAROI makes his very first appearance on Hits 1 this week, as SO DONE enters Hit-Bound this week (notice the pun in the intro). I’ve already talked about this song in my Hot 100 posts, but I’ll talk about it again anyways. This song is super catchy and the production here is pretty great. But I don’t love The Kid LAROI’s voice. I feel like if it was anybody else, this would be great. But this is still a good song.

So Lasting Lover re-entered Hit-Bound this week, which I’m really happy about. I predicted that this would be back, although it took a while. I hope this debuts.

So Taylor Swift released yet ANOTHER surprise album this year. It’s called evermore and she called it the sister album to folklore. Normally she switches sounds every single album, but she said she just couldn’t move away from the folklore sound. I actually liked evermore a lot more than folklore. There were more songs that stood out to me, such as ‘tis the damn season and no body, no crime with HAIM among others. I think she found her groove with this sound and I quite liked it. Anyways, the lead single from that, willow debuts Hit-Bound. I think this was a pretty good choice for a single. She sounds pretty good here and although it’s slightly boring, it’s more upbeat than cardigan, which I like a lot. Good song.

So Dixie D’Amelio brings her second song to Hits 1 this week. It’s called One Whole Day and this time it features Wiz Khalifa. Wow, this is a big step up from the original Be Happy. The production was actually really well-made and her voice works pretty well with it. The writing in the chorus is a little ridiculous, as it’s legit “One day, one day, I was really really really really sad” but whatever. I’d also say that Wiz Khalifa brings this song up a bit. He sounds quite good and he also just works quite well with the song. Yeah, this is actually quite great.

Best Debut: One Whole Day - Dixie D’Amelio/Wiz Khalifa

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#15: Deep End - Fousheé

1 - Bad:
#14: Never the 1 - ROSIE

2 - Mediocre:
NONE!

3 - Decent:
#13: Fly Away - Tones And I
#12: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#11: Blueberry Eyes - MAX/SUGA

4 - Good:
#10: Goodbye - Shaylen
#9: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI
#8: Bitter - FLETCHER/Kito
#7: willow - Taylor Swift

5 - Great:
#6: Fix It to Break It - Clinton Kane
#5: One Whole Day - Dixie D’Amelio/Wiz Khalifa
#4: Lasting Lover - Sigala/James Arthur
#3: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#2: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#1: Broke Boy - Malia Civetz

Overall Score: 56/75 = 75%

I Get Over-Blurbed So Easily

We lost three Countdown songs this week: Hate The Way, Falling and Small Talk. I never really cared that much about Hate The Way, Falling should’ve never hit #1 and what? How is Small Talk gone already? I’m pretty happy that it didn’t hit #1 and barely even cracked the top 5.

We also lost three Hit-Bound songs this week: Lemonade, Haunt You and Be Happy. For Haunt You, I’m really glad that it didn’t re-enter because it sucked. For Be Happy, I don’t care, because One Whole Day is better. But Lemonade? Come ON, Hits 1! Seriously? This is just starting its pop radio run and it’s a fantastic song. Ugh.

going out jumped this week and I seriously hope that it doesn’t stick around after it isn’t the One to Watch anymore.

It looks like Heather is finally gonna be leaving. This took way too long.

Does Put Your Records On really have to become a hit?

Dynamite is close to the top 10 and I really hope it makes it.

Wooh! Fallin’ is in the top 10!

So I’ve really grown into positions lately. So much so that it’s the best song on the Countdown and I’m really happy that it’s in the top 5 now.

Argh, does Golden seriously have to be #1? Why can’t Hits 1 just give the #1 to Dua Lipa ONE TIME? I’m done. This is ridiculous.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior
#3: positions - Ariana Grande
#6: Laugh Now Cry Later - Drake/Lil Durk
#7: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#8: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#10: Dynamite - BTS
#11: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#13: Lemonade - Internet Money/Gunna/Don Toliver/NAV
#15: Go Crazy - Chris Brown/Young Thug
#19: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#20: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#25: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#26: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#27: Bang! - AJR
#29: Savage Love (Laxed - Siren Beat) - Jawsh 685/Jason Derulo
#31: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#35: ROCKSTAR - DaBaby/Roddy Ricch
#38: Monster - Shawn Mendes/Justin Bieber
#42: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#43: ily (i love you baby) - Surf Mesa/Emilee
#46: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#48: WHATS POPPIN (Remix) - Jack Harlow/Tory Lanez/DaBaby/Lil Wayne
#50: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#51: HOLIDAY - Lil Nas X
#52: What You Know Bout Love - Pop Smoke
#54: Hawái (Remix) - Maluma/The Weeknd
#57: Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus
#58: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#59: Prisoner - Miley Cyrus/Dua Lipa
#66: I Should Probably Go To Bed - Dan + Shay
#67: you broke me first - Tate McRae
#73: my ex’s best friend - Machine Gun Kelly/blackbear
#76: 7 Summers - Morgan Wallen
#77: Wonder - Shawn Mendes
#92: Golden - Harry Styles
#99: SO DONE - The Kid LAROI

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: 34+35 - Ariana Grande
#9: Midnight - Alesso/Liam Payne
#8: Mind Is A Prison - Alec Benjamin
#7: Golden - Harry Styles
#6: 10/10 - Rex Orange County
#5: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#4: Hate The Way - G-Eazy/blackbear
#3: WHATS POPPIN - Jack Harlow
#2: Toosie Slide - Drake
#1: Bummerland - AJR

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: Lonely - Justin Bieber/benny blanco
#9: Therefore I Am - Billie Eilish
#8: Diamonds - Sam Smith
#7: Bang! - AJR
#6: Levitating - Dua Lipa/DaBaby
#5: Be Like That - Kane Brown/Swae Lee/Khalid
#4: Dynamite - BTS
#3: Holy - Justin Bieber/Chance the Rapper
#2: positions - Ariana Grande
#1: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all later.

9 comments:

  1. I hit 100 thousand pageviews, so I reviewed 100 songs ;)
    https://wafflescountdownreviews.blogspot.com/2020/12/100000-pageview-special-billboard-hot.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...this is the kind of thing that happens when I have a lot of spare time on your hands lol

    Also you guys have 1 week left to submit for the Hit-Bound Dropouts Rankdown. Get your lists in if you haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Blueberry Eyes: 27 spins
    Go Crazy: 26 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 26 spins (brought it back because it's actually gaining somewhat)
    willow: 20 spins
    34+35: 19 spins
    Lasting Lover: 19 spins
    Goodbye: 16 spins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lasting Lover is getting spins! I hope it debuts before the end of this year.

      Delete
  4. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 28 spins
    Go Crazy: 26 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 26 spins
    willow: 25 spins
    Lasting Lover: 21 spins
    Goodbye: 20 spins
    34+35: 20 spins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I still like Bang! Agreed with a beluga and Disagreed withBeluga because Therefore 8 am is awesome imo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    willow: 33 spins
    Laugh Now Cry Later: 30 spins
    Go Crazy: 27 spins
    Lasting Lover: 25 spins
    Goodbye: 24 spins
    Blueberry Eyes: 23 spins
    34+35: 21 spins

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)