Saturday, May 2, 2020

Week of May 2, 2020 - The Weeknd (2)

The Weeknd (2)

This was actually a really good countdown week. For multiple reasons, actually. Anyways, on to some other stuff. I said I was feeling “burnt out” the other day, and said I would cut every extra post. But what I realized was that I already had. The reason I was feeling burnt out was because I couldn’t do any extra stuff because I cancelled it for the Pageview Specials. So, what I’m gonna do is cut the Pageview Specials. I’m extremely sorry for anyone who was excited for them, but they’re just so much work. But don’t worry, I have something planned for 50K that I’ll tell you about when we get there. Anyways, but for now, I’m implementing something new for the 2019 Ultimate Rank. It’s called Community Rankings, and basically you guys will rank the next batch of reveals, then the colour-coding will be based on that, so it’s basically a weekly mini-rankdown. Credit to Tacocat for this idea. Here’s the link for this week’s reveals! Now onto the countdown!

Songs We’re Saying Goodbye To
Beautiful People - Ed Sheeran/Khalid (#45) [1 week at #1] {34 weeks}
Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi (#43) [3 weeks at #1] {53 weeks}
Easier - 5 Seconds of Summer (#42) [3 weeks at #1] {48 weeks}
Some Kind Of Disaster - All Time Low (#38) [#15] {11 weeks}
The Other Side - SZA/Justin Timberlake (#20) [#20] {5 weeks}

Last Week’s #1: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (1)

#45: Dance Monkey - Tones And I (-4) [#21] {27 weeks}
#44: Only Human - Jonas Brothers (-4) [1 week at #1] {31 weeks}
#43: Good As Hell - Lizzo (+1) [#3] {30 weeks}
#42: Ride It - Regard (DEBUT) [4* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#41: Graveyard - Halsey (-5) [#3] {33 weeks}
#40: ROXANNE - Arizona Zervas (-7) [#9] {22 weeks}
#39: The Bones - Maren Morris (DEBUT) [0 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#38: RITMO - Black Eyed Peas/J Balvin (+1) [#38] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#37: South of the Border - Ed Sheeran/Camila Cabello/Cardi B (-5) [#7] {20 weeks}
#36: CITY OF ANGELS - 24kGoldn (DEBUT) [3* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#35: Moral of the Story - Ashe (-7) [#23] {6 weeks}
#34: Falling - Trevor Daniel (RE-ENTRY) [#34] {4 weeks}
#33: Teeth - 5 Seconds of Summer (-10) [2 weeks at #1] {28 weeks}
#32: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee (-1) [#28] {6 weeks}
#31: Midnight - Alesso/Liam Payne (DEBUT) [2* weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#30: hot girl bummer - blackbear (-5) [#4] {16 weeks}
#29: Oh My God - Alec Benjamin (+5) [#29] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#28: Circles - Post Malone (-1) [2 weeks at #1] {31 weeks}
#27: Nice To Meet Ya - Niall Horan (-8) [8 weeks at #1] {29 weeks}
#26: In Your Eyes - The Weeknd (+9) [#26] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#25: Level of Concern - Twenty One Pilots (-1) [#24] {3 weeks}
#24: Intentions - Justin Bieber/Quavo (-3) [#21] {8 weeks}
#23: the other girl - Kelsea Ballerini/Halsey (-1) [#19] {6 weeks}
#22: me & ur ghost - blackbear (-5) [#17] {9 weeks}
#21: everything i wanted - Billie Eilish (-5) [#9] {17 weeks}
#20: Sunday Best - Surfaces (+17) [#20] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#19: You should be sad - Halsey (-8) [#6] {13 weeks}
#18: Modern Loneliness - Lauv (+11) [#18] {10 weeks} *new peak*
#17: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton (+9) [#17] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#16: Adore You - Harry Styles (-12) [10 weeks at #1] {21 weeks}
#15: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa (+15) [#15] {2 weeks} *new peak*
#14: What A Man Gotta Do - Jonas Brothers (-4) [#2] {14 weeks}
#13: I Love Me - Demi Lovato (+5) [#13] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#12: Old Me - 5 Seconds of Summer (+3) [#12] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#11: The Man - Taylor Swift (-4) [#7] {12 weeks}
#10: If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels (+4) [#10] {11 weeks} *new peak*
#9: Stupid Love - Lady Gaga (+4) [#9] {9 weeks} *new peak*
#8: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles (+4) [#8] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#7: Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa (-4) [#2] {20 weeks}
#6: No Judgement - Niall Horan (-) [#6] {8 weeks}
#5: My Oh My - Camila Cabello (-) [#5] {16 weeks}
#4: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi (-2) [#2] {13 weeks}
#3: Say So - Doja Cat (+6) [#3] {17 weeks} *new peak*
#2: Maniac - Conan Gray (+6) [#2] {8 weeks} *new peak*
#1: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd (-) [2nd week at #1] {11 weeks}

Last Year’s #1: Sucker - Jonas Brothers [6/13 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Boyfriend - Selena Gomez

Our first of five entrants of the week this week is Ride It by Regard. This is okay. I think the production’s pretty good and the beat’s also good, but the vocals really bring this song down a lot for me. They’re extremely rushed, and have some weird compressed vocal effects on them, and it really doesn’t sound good with the song. The kind-of riff thing sounds pretty good, and it’s fairly catchy, but the vocals are just too bad for me to like this. *4 weeks on Voting Poll, 3 weeks in Hit-Bound

So Hits 1 was pretty late on this next song, and I think they realized that because it skipped any weeks on the voting poll or Hit-Bound and just went straight to the countdown. I’m not complaining though, because The Bones by Maren Morris is pretty great. It’s a country song, but I think Maren makes up for it, because her voice is really good. The song’s extremely catchy, and there’s no question why it’s such a big hit. I’d love to see this do well here, and maybe be on the voting poll too, because that would help.

Next up is a great song by 24kGoldn, called CITY OF ANGELS. This is one of my favourite songs right now, and despite it being pretty short, I’ve been jamming out to it a lot lately. Although his voice isn’t great, and I’ll admit that, it works really well with the song and I think that’s why I like it so much. That and the instrumentation being great, and it being very catchy. I hope this does well, although I don’t quite see it doing well. *3 weeks on Voting Poll, 2 weeks in Hit-Bound

Falling by Trevor Daniel re-enters the countdown this week, and there’s really nothing that I feel I haven’t said already. I don’t really like his voice, although the production in the verses is pretty good. I understand why it came back, although I’m not too happy about it. I’ve kind of accepted that this is gonna be a pretty big hit though. Harry Styles’ song of the same name is much better than this one.

Y’know, it’s kind of odd that a week with five entries wouldn’t have a single top 30 debut. Ah well. Midnight by Alesso and Liam Payne debuts this week at #31, after having spent only one *actual* week on Hit-Bound. That’s a really good sign for this song, because it’s really good. Liam honestly sounds really good, and this is one of his best songs (aside from Familiar). The drop is really well-done, and it’s pretty catchy too. I’d love to see this be a hit. *2 weeks on Voting Poll, 1 week in Hit-Bound

Best Debut: Midnight - Alesso/Liam Payne

Biggest DROP!!!: Adore You - Harry Styles (-12): Let’s gooooooooo boys! We did it! Hopefully, with this song falling so quickly, it might not even be #1 of the year! Hopefully, Blinding Lights takes that, but I think our new voting poll debut might… (we’ll get to that in a bit)

Biggest Jump: Sunday Best - Surfaces (+17): This song just makes me feel good all over, and I’m very happy it’s becoming a hit here, because I was scared for a bit that it wasn’t gonna do well.

My Top 5 Picks
#5: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#4: The Bones - Maren Morris
#3: CITY OF ANGELS - 24kGoldn
#2: Midnight - Alesso/Liam Payne
#1: Modern Loneliness - Lauv

My Bottom 5 Picks
#5: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee
#4: Say So - Doja Cat
#3: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton
#2: everything i wanted - Billie Eilish
#1: Adore You - Harry Styles

Top 20 Ranking

0 - Crap:
#20: Adore You - Harry Styles
#19: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton

1 - Bad:
#18: Say So - Doja Cat

2 - Mediocre:
NONE!

3 - Decent:
#17: Old Me - 5 Seconds of Summer
#16: My Oh My - Camila Cabello
#15: No Judgement - Niall Horan
#14: I Love Me - Demi Lovato
#13: If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels

4 - Good:
#12: Stupid Love - Lady Gaga
#11: The Man - Taylor Swift
#10: Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
#9: Watermelon Sugar - Harry Styles
#8: You should be sad - Halsey
#7: What A Man Gotta Do - Jonas Brothers

5 - Great:
#6: Maniac - Conan Gray
#5: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#4: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa
#3: Sunday Best - Surfaces
#2: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd

Bonus: 6 - Best Song on the Countdown:
#1: Modern Loneliness - Lauv

Overall Score: 71/100 = 71%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Teeth - 5 Seconds of Summer {28 weeks}
#4: Nice To Meet Ya - Niall Horan {29 weeks}
#3: Good As Hell - Lizzo {30 weeks}
#2: Only Human - Jonas Brothers & Circles - Post Malone {31 weeks}
#1: Graveyard - Halsey {33 weeks}

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: The Box - Roddy Ricch

My Favourite Song Last Year: ME! - Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: 7 rings - Ariana Grande

Hit-Bound
Bang! - AJR [1]
Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey [2*]
Lay Your Head On Me - Major Lazer/Marcus Mumford [5*]
100 Ways - Jackson Wang [2*]
Six Feet Apart - Alec Benjamin [4*]
Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek [2*]
If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975 [2*]
17 - Pink Sweat$ [8]
Kings & Queens - Ava Max [2*]
Bad Child - Tones And I [7*]
Check Your Phone - Cheap Cuts/Pete Wentz [2]
Boyfriend - Selena Gomez [3*]
Nice to Meet Ya - Meghan Trainor/Nicki Minaj [13]
Toosie Slide - Drake [5*]
I’m Ready - Sam Smith/Demi Lovato [3*]

Also Available For Vote
I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth [2*]
Be Kind - Marshmello/Halsey [1]

We’re kicking this thing off with an amazing AJR song called Bang!. I recommended this a while ago, and I’m very very very happy that Hits 1 picked it up. I figured they would eventually, since it normally takes a while for them to pick up AJR songs, but it’s here now! So yay! I know a lot of more experienced bloggers than me may not agree, but I love AJR. Their blown-absolutely-over-the-top thing that they do in most songs (Dear Winter) has a certain charm that I just love, and the carnival-esque thing in this song I just really like for no apparent reason. This is probably my favourite AJR song yet, and although I will admit that the talking voice is weird, I find this whole song fits together really well.

I said last week I would review these next two songs, so I will! Yup. First up is this guy from Walking earlier this year, Jackson Wang with 100 Ways. I think the production is really really cool in this song. The only thing that really brings it down at tad for me is his voice, but I don’t see that being a huge problem in the future, and I could definitely grow into this. Overall, a really solid song that has a very real shot of debuting the countdown.

Next up is this really weird band that I haven’t heard much of, but I don’t really like called The 1975. They come with their song called If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know), and it is not good I will tell you. It’s weird as heck, and pretty much everything about just feels slightly off. I feel like I should like it, but nothing’s really falling together, and it really doesn’t work for me. I hope this doesn’t debut.

Our voting poll debut that I was talking about earlier is Be Kind by Marshmello and Halsey. Looking at the title, I didn’t think I would like it, but this song legit SLAPS. There’s no drop, but that doesn’t really bother me. The production’s really good though. Halsey actually sounds pretty good, and I’m calling it; this will be the song of the summer.

I’m not sure what happened there with I Hope, but I hope it’s not leaving soon. (see what I did there?)

Best Debut: Bang! - AJR

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Crap:
#17: Boyfriend - Selena Gomez

1 - Bad:
#16: If You’re Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975

2 - Mediocre:
#15: Nice to Meet Ya - Meghan Trainor/Nicki Minaj
#14: 17 - Pink Sweat$

3 - Decent:
#13: Lay Your Head On Me - Major Lazer/Marcus Mumford
#12: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek
#11: Check Your Phone - Cheap Cuts/Pete Wentz

4 - Good:
#10: 100 Ways - Jackson Wang
#9: Toosie Slide - Drake

5 - Great:
#8: Six Feet Apart - Alec Benjamin
#7: I’m Ready - Sam Smith/Demi Lovato
#6: Bad Child - Tones And I
#5: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#4: I Hope - Gabby Barrett/Charlie Puth
#3: Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey
#2: Be Kind - Marshmello/Halsey
#1: Bang! - AJR

Overall Score: 62/85 = 73%

The House Don’t Fall When the Blurbs Are Good

We lost five songs this week; Beautiful People, Someone You Loved, Easier, Some Kind Of Disaster and The Other Side. I’m happy about the three former songs, because they were pretty old and just taking up space. SKOD was great, but I get it, it wasn’t a hit, and it did decently well here for not being one. But why’d we have to go and lose The Other Side like that? What was that about? It’s a perfectly good song that had a huge chance at being big. Why’d it flop! I’m very upset.

We lost two more Hit-Bound songs this week, taking our total to too many. Our first is YOU CAN’T HOLD MY HEART. I actually grew to really like that song, and I’m pretty sad that it’s gone. Our other song is SUGAR, and that was also a really good song, but it did start to lose its traction, so I guess this makes sense.

The following songs were losses this week: Graveyard, ROXANNE, South of the Border, Moral of the Story, Teeth, hot girl bummer, Nice To Meet Ya, me & ur ghost, everything i wanted and You should be sad. Most of these were old, bad or mediocre, so the only one I’m sad about is You should be sad.

Our gains are: Oh My God, In Your Eyes, Modern Loneliness, Supalonely, Break My Heart, I Love Me, Say So and Maniac. Not too hyped on Supalonely and Say So, but the rest I’m fine with or happy with.

Dance Monkey fell to the bottom 1 this week, and although I’m sad it didn’t make it into the top 20, it’s alright because it had a decent run.

So because of three certain songs leaving this week, Graveyard surprisingly drops to the oldest song on the countdown. It feels weird having this in yellow, but I guess it’s been around for quite a while now.

I’m glad death bed isn’t getting too much success on here, since it’s annoying, repetitive and doesn’t deserve to be a hit.

Spyder Nathaniel Hawthorne Beabadoobee Harrison III. What a name.

Of course Alec Benjamin has to have 18 top 20 hits. Who else? Oh, I don’t know… anyone else? Nah, it’s fine. I don’t care all that much, it’s just kind of annoying.

We’re starting to get rid of a bunch of old songs, which I’m very happy about.

What is freaking up with Hits 1 not wanting Intentions to be a hit?

So turns out Harry Styles is releasing Watermelon Sugar again soon, and Hits 1, knowing this, kept it instead of just bringing it back later. Oh, Hits 1. Why do you make the decisions you make? So since it’s here to stay, I put it back in green.

Say So’s in the top 5. I’d prefer if this didn’t dethrone Blinding Lights, please.

Okay, for some reason, Maniac’s at #2? Um. Okay? This is what I’m talking about when I say Hits 1 makes questionable decisions.

Alright, that’s it for today, everybody! See you later!

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
#2: Toosie Slide - Drake
#4: Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
#5: Say So - Doja Cat
#6: Circles - Post Malone
#7: Adore You - Harry Styles
#8: Intentions - Justin Bieber/Quavo
#11: everything i wanted - Billie Eilish
#12: My Oh My - Camila Cabello/DaBaby
#13: The Bones - Maren Morris
#15: Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi
#16: I Hope - Gabby Barrett
#18: Memories - Maroon 5
#19: Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey
#22: Roses (Remix) - SAINt JHN/Imanbek
#23: Falling - Trevor Daniel
#24: hot girl bummer - blackbear
#26: ROXANNE - Arizona Zervas
#27: death bed (coffee for your head) - Powfu/beabadoobee
#28: Heartless - The Weeknd
#31: Dance Monkey - Tones And I
#34: RITMO - Black Eyed Peas/J Balvin
#36: I’m Ready - Sam Smith/Demi Lovato
#38: Sunday Best - Surfaces
#39: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa
#41: 10,000 Hours - Dan + Shay/Justin Bieber
#42: I Love Me - Demi Lovato
#45: Level of Concern - Twenty One Pilots
#46: Stupid Love - Lady Gaga
#55: In Your Eyes - The Weeknd
#57: Before You Go - Lewis Capaldi
#59: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton
#77: If the World Was Ending - JP Saxe/Julia Michaels
#80: You should be sad - Halsey
#95: Ride It - Regard

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: To Die For - Sam Smith
#9: Blueberry Faygo - Lil Mosey
#8: Nice to Meet Ya - Meghan Trainor/Nicki Minaj
#7: You Need To Calm Down - Taylor Swift
#6: Supalonely - BENEE/Gus Dapperton
#5: Kings & Queens - Ava Max
#4: ROXANNE - Arizona Zervas
#3: Break My Heart - Dua Lipa
#2: Falling - Trevor Daniel
#1: Lights Up - Harry Styles

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: hot girl bummer - blackbear
#9: Sunday Best - Surfaces
#8: Circles - Post Malone
#7: My Oh My - Camila Cabello
#6: everything i wanted - Billie Eilish
#5: Intentions - Justin Bieber/Quavo
#4: Adore You - Harry Styles
#3: Say So - Doja Cat
#2: Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
#1: Blinding Lights - The Weeknd

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all soon!

40 comments:

  1. Also where is If The Countdown Made Sense this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Pleasd do not delete my comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE BANG! SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Scotts by Travis Scott and Kid Cudi is officially #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It dethrones Blinding Lights, which slips to #2. Toosie Slide slips to #3, Savage by Megan Thee Stallion hits a new peak at #4, The Box falls to #5, Say So falls to #6, Don't Start Now falls to #7, Circles falls to #8, Intentions falls to #9, and Adore You falls to #10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Play Date - Melanie Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Anyone - Demi Lovato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Demi Lovato was on HitBound previously, and I'm pretty sure I already established that I don't like it.

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty sure everybody already established that they don't like it.

      Delete
    5. Um......
























      Team anyone
      Anyone agree (see what I did there)

      Delete
  7. Guys. We did it.


    Adore You has fallen to the bottom 10 on the Hits1 airplay chart 😂 we love to see it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love the small victories.




      Or this could be a big victory, depends on how you see it.

      Delete
    2. At this rate, I highly doubt it's gonna be #1 of the year.

      Delete
    3. So yeah, I'd consider it a big victory.

      Delete
  8. New Music Alert: eight - IU/SUGA (BTS)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hits 1 updated the voting poll!

    Unavailable:
    Trevor Daniel - Falling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ Specifically the duplicate one where they mixed up the artist and song names

      Delete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)