Sunday, September 26, 2021

Week of September 25, 2021 - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber (3)

So, this week was extremely eventful, even if all of it wasn't... great. On the plus side, though, I have tons to talk about in this post, so it should be fun! Here are our exits for this week:

Songs We're Saying Goodbye To
Way 2 Sexy - Drake/Future/Young Thug (#30) [#30] {1 week}
Hurricane - Kanye West (#28) [#28] {2 weeks}
Love Tonight - Shouse (#27) [#27] {4 weeks}
People Watching - Conan Gray (#20) [#17] {8 weeks}
Skate - Silk Sonic (#17) [#12] {7 weeks}

Last Week's #1: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber (2)

#30: Essence - WizKid/Justin Bieber/Tems (RE-ENTRY) [#26] {3 weeks}
#29: justified - Kacey Musgraves (DEBUT) [2 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#28: Sheesh! - Surfaces/Tai Verdes (DEBUT) [2 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#27: I GUESS I'M IN LOVE - Clinton Kane (+2) [#27] {3 weeks} *new peak*
#26: Who's In Your Head - Jonas Brothers (DEBUT) [1 week in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#25: Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish (+1) [#25] {6 weeks}
#24: Rumors - Lizzo/Cardi B (-1) [#20] {6 weeks}
#23: You - Regard/Troye Sivan/Tate McRae (-8) [#4] {23 weeks}
#22: I am not a woman, I'm a god - Halsey (+2) [#22] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#21: Need To Know - Doja Cat (+4) [#21] {4 weeks} *new peak*
#20: Summer of Love - Shawn Mendes/Tainy (+2) [#20] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#19: Beggin' - Måneskin (-9) [#8] {7 weeks}
#18: Don't Go Yet - Camila Cabello (-5) [#10] {9 weeks}
#17: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo (-1) [9 weeks at #1] {18 weeks}
#16: @ my worst - blackbear (+5) [#16] {5 weeks} *new peak*
#15: everything sucks - vaultboy (+4) [#15] {6 weeks} *new peak*
#14: Cold Heart (Remix) - Elton John/Dua Lipa/PNAU (DEBUT) [5 weeks in Hit-Bound] {1 week}
#13: Memory - Kane Brown/blackbear (+5) [#13] {10 weeks} *new peak*
#12: INDUSTRY BABY - Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow (-3) [#7] {8 weeks}
#11: traitor - Olivia Rodrigo (-3) [#8] {4 weeks}
#10: Arcade - Duncan Laurence (+2) [#10] {12 weeks}
#9: A-O-K - Tai Verdes/24kGoldn (-2) [#7] {16 weeks}
#8: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes (+6) [#8] {7 weeks} *new peak*
#7: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd (+4) [#7] {13 weeks} *new peak*
#6: Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers (-2) [#2] {18 weeks}
#5: Take My Breath - The Weeknd (-) [#5] {7 weeks}
#4: Saturday - Twenty One Pilots (+2) [#4] {10 weeks} *new peak*
#3: Love Again - Dua Lipa (-) [#3] {10 weeks}
#2: Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran (-) [5 weeks at #1] {13 weeks}
#1: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber (-) [3rd week at #1] {11 weeks}

Last Year's #1: Moral of the Story - Ashe/Niall Horan [6/6 weeks at #1]

Countdown Extra: Paralyzed - Sueco

Before we get into our four debuts, we see the return of Essence by WizKid, Justin Bieber and Tems at #30. I'm totally fine with this being back, as it's a good song, but I still don't see it lasting very long here (again).

So, three out of four of our debuts this week dropped out of Hit-Bound last week (unfortunately, none of them are Ghost), with the first being justified by Kacey Musgraves. I actually really like this song. I don't generally like Kacey's voice, in fact, I strongly dislike Rainbow, but this is pretty good. She sounds quite good here, and it helps that the song's got some pop production. I like the catchy chorus here, and while the verses aren't great, there's plenty in the song that makes up for it. I'd love to see this become a hit here, that would be great.

Next up, coming in at #28, we have Sheesh! by Surfaces and Tai Verdes. Now, before we get into this song, I just have to address that I absolutely hate the "sheeeesh" meme, so that could definitely factor into me not really liking this. Now, onto, the actual song, I think this song is fine, although I'm not a huge fan of it. I hate the high note "sheesh" in the chorus, it just feels really out of place, and the dude from Surfaces doesn't sound so good either. But, on the more positive side of things, this song's pretty fun, and Tai has a great verse here. I'd really rather not have this become a hit here, but it's the sort of Gen-Z TikTok meme song that will likely do pretty well here.

We see the solo return of the Jonas Brothers this week, after they released What A Man Gotta Do and X and dipped about a year ago. This new song's called Who's In Your Head, and it's pretty good. It's nice and catchy, it's got some upbeat and groovy production, and both Nick and Joe sound great here. My only criticism is that it feels really safe, and kind of like a Sucker - Part 6. But, a good song is still a good song, so I'm totally fine with this being here, and I'm okay with it becoming a big hit here, which it inevitably will be.

All the way up at #14, for some freaking reason, Cold Heart by Elton John, Dua Lipa and PNAU debuts this week. I don't really like this song at all. I've never been a huge fan of Elton John's voice, and there's really no difference here. I also don't really like PNAU's production here, and I'm not entirely sure why, it's just not really my style of production. On top of that, the song's really repetitive. Dua Lipa sounds good here, but it's really not enough to save the song. Also, it's interesting to note that the official title of this song is Cold Heart - PNAU Remix, but there's no version without PNAU. Anyways, I hope this doesn't become a hit.

So, Hits 1 switched to a 24kGoldn remix of Tai Verdes' A-O-K this week, which is good, because this version's better than the original. I still don't really like it, as all the issues from the original song are still here, but now there's a pretty good verse from 24kGoldn here, so that boosts it up to "mediocre".

Best Debut: justified - Kacey Musgraves

Biggest Drop: Beggin' - Måneskin (-9): Aw. I loved seeing this song up in the top 10, but I guess it was never really destined to be a hit here, so it's okay.

Biggest Jump: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes (+6):

...

....

.....

Why?

Countdown Ranking

0 - Awful:
#30: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes
#29: Cold Heart (Remix) - Elton John/Dua Lipa/PNAU

1 - Bad:
#28: Need To Know - Doja Cat

2 - Mediocre:
#27: A-O-K - Tai Verdes/24kGoldn
#26: Summer of Love - Shawn Mendes/Tainy
#25: You - Regard/Troye Sivan/Tate McRae
#24: Sheesh! - Surfaces/Tai Verdes

3 - Decent:
#23: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd
#22: Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers

4 - Good:
#21: Essence - WizKid/Justin Bieber/Tems
#20: I am not a woman, I'm a god - Halsey
#19: everything sucks - vaultboy
#18: Arcade - Duncan Laurence
#17: Who's In Your Head - Jonas Brothers
#16: Don't Go Yet - Camila Cabello
#15: Memory - Kane Brown/blackbear
#14: Beggin' - Måneskin

5 - Great:
#13: Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran
#12: justified - Kacey Musgraves
#11: Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish
#10: traitor - Olivia Rodrigo
#9: I GUESS I'M IN LOVE - Clinton Kane
#8: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
#7: INDUSTRY BABY - Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow
#6: Rumors - Lizzo/Cardi B
#5: Take My Breath - The Weeknd
#4: Love Again - Dua Lipa
#3: @ my worst - blackbear
#2: Saturday - Twenty One Pilots
#1: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber

Overall Score: 112/150 = 75%

5 Oldest Songs
#5: Arcade - Duncan Laurence {12 weeks}
#4: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd & Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran {13 weeks}
#3: A-O-K - Tai Verdes/24kGoldn {16 weeks}
#2: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo & Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers {18 weeks}
#1: You - Regard/Troye Sivan/Tate McRae {23 weeks}

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: The Walls Are Way Too Thin - Holly Humberstone

My Favourite Song Last Year: Mood - 24kGoldn/iann dior

My Least Favourite Song Last Year: Moral of the Story - Ashe/Niall Horan

Most Missed Countdown Song: Holding on to You - Twenty One Pilots

Hit-Bound
Alone - Trevor Daniel [1]
My Universe - Coldplay/BTS [1]
Love Tonight - Shouse [1; 2nd time]
Get Into It (Yuh) - Doja Cat [1]
THATS WHAT I WANT - Lil Nas X [2]
i hope ur miserable until ur dead - Nessa Barrett [4]
edamame - bbno$/Rich Brian [1]
Meet Me At Our Spot - THE ANXIETY [1]
I Feel Good - Pitbull/Anthony Watts/DJ White Shadow [1]
Reckless - Madison Beer [6]
Paralyzed - Sueco [2]
For Tonight - Giveon [1]
Angel Baby - Troye Sivan [3]
Don't Be Shy - Tiësto/KAROL G [1]
Record Player - Daisy the Great/AJR [3]
One Day - Monsta X [3]

Before we get into our eight(!) Hit-Bound debuts, Love Tonight dropped out of the Countdown and found its way back to Hit-Bound. I'm happy that it's not on the Countdown anymore, but why is it still here?

First up, we have an artist that had a couple hits last year, but hasn't been on Hits 1 since, Trevor Daniel. This week he returns with his new song, Alone, and this song's solid. Trevor sounds quite good here, and I think his voice fits the song pretty well. On top of that, the chorus is pretty catchy, but the production's kind of basic, and the song as a whole is pretty forgettable. Do I think this will be a third hit for Trevor? Probably not, but you never know.

Next up, we have a very surprising collaboration that sounds awful on paper, but actually works quite well. It's Coldplay and BTS, on a song together called My Universe. I have no clue how, but both of the band's sounds mix really well together, and the flip-flop between Chris Martin and a random BTS member in the verses works really well. In addition, it's got some very Higher Power-esque production, except done a bit better than in that song. The chorus is super catchy, and Chris sounds great in it. The only part I don't really love is the rapping bridge from j-hope, but other than that, this is a great song that I'd love to see become a hit. 

Replacing Woman this week, we have yet another Doja Cat song that blew up on TikTok. This song's called Get Into It (Yuh), and while I think it's better than the aforementioned song, it's still not great. The only part in the song that I like is the verses, because Doja sounds quite good in them, but the chorus is really annoying, and there could definitely be more layers in the production. I wonder if Hits 1 will keep switching between having a different Doja Cat non-single on Hit-Bound each week, or if they'll just stick with this song. I guess we'll see next week.

Remember bbno$? He had a feature on that song with Y2K that missed Hits 1 from earlier last year, Lalala? Anyways, even if you don't, he's here now on a song with Rich Brian, called edamame. This is one of those songs that I feel like I should hate, but I just can't seem to. It's honestly just so much fun, and both bbno$ and Rich Brian sound quite good here, and the chorus is pretty catchy. Yeah, overall I'd say that this is fine? I'm not really sure, it's gonna take a few more listens to determine whether I like this song or not.

Next up, we have WILLOW's second song on Hit-Bound this year, except this time, it's with a group called THE ANXIETY, which consists of her and Tyler Cole. This song's called Meet Me At Our Spot. This is a good little song. I'd definitely say that WILLOW's the worst part of this song, as I'm still not really a fan of her voice, but Tyler Cole sounds amazing here, and the song as a whole's pretty fun. The production's nice and chill, which fits the song really well. Overall, I'd be totally fine if this became a hit.

Hey, everybody! Guess who's back? Everybody's favourite rapper, Pitbuuuuuuuuul. In all honesty though, I can't seem to dislike Pitbull despite all of my best efforts. He's just so much fun, it's ridiculous. Anyways, he's back on a song called I Feel Good with Anthony Watts and DJ White Shadow. This song's pretty good. Anthony Watts' pre-chorus is nothing short of amazing, Pitbull's rapping is... fine, and DJ White Shadow does a decent job with the production. Overall, I just can't find anything about this that I dislike.

This week also sees the return of Giveon, after Heartbreak Anniversary dropped out a couple of months ago (but still finds itself in "the abyss"), with a new song called For Tonight. This is easily my favourite new song this week. This song is leagues better than Heartbreak Anniversary (even though that song grew on me recently). The production actually evolves pretty nicely, Giveon sounds incredible here, and the melodies here are fantastic. I already love this song, and I've only heard it twice now, so I really hope it becomes a hit.

Tiësto also sees a return this week, with a new song with KAROL G, Don't Be Shy. This song's fine. KAROL G sounds good here, Tiësto's production is fine, but I find myself pretty bored with this song after about twenty seconds. I'm gonna go listen to For Tonight again now rather than talk about this song more.

There are also eight Hit-Bound dropouts this week (:/), being Drive You Home, Another Song About Tequila (again), Woman, Steal My Love, Shivers, ONE OF ME, Girls Want Girls and Chasing Stars. Drive You Home actually grew on me, so I'm kinda sad to see it go. ASAT was decent, but I don't care that it's gone. Woman was bad, so I'm happy it's gone. Steal My Love was very forgettable, and only here for a week, so I don't care. I have no clue why Shivers left and is plummeting in airplay, as it's actually becoming a pretty big hit. ONE OF ME was great, but I get it, as it wasn't a single. Girls Want Girls was never good, and also didn't turn out to be the big single, so I'm glad it's gone. And, Chasing Stars was forgettable, so I don't care that it's gone.

Best Hit-Bound Debut: For Tonight - Giveon

Hit-Bound Ranking

0 - Awful:
#16: Love Tonight - Shouse

1 - Bad:
NONE!

2 - Mediocre:
#15: Get Into It (Yuh) - Doja Cat
#14: Reckless - Madison Beer
#13: Paralyzed - Sueco
#12: Don't Be Shy - Tiësto/KAROL G

3 - Decent:
#11: Angel Baby - Troye Sivan
#10: edamame - bbno$/Rich Brian

4 - Good:
#9: Meet Me At Our Spot - THE ANXIETY
#8: Alone - Trevor Daniel
#7: I Feel Good - Pitbull/Anthony Watts/DJ White Shadow

5 - Great:
#6: One Day - Monsta X
#5: My Universe - Coldplay/BTS
#4: Record Player - Daisy the Great/AJR
#3: i hope ur miserable until ur dead - Nessa Barrett
#2: For Tonight - Giveon
#1: THATS WHAT I WANT - Lil Nas X

Overall Score: 56/80 = 70%

I Be Like Bluuurbs!

Okay, I've decided that I find Happier Than Ever kinda great. I have no clue how, but I've been really enjoying it lately.

I swear, if Rumors doesn't get a big jump next week, I'm done.

Nice to see @ my worst all the way up at #16. I'd like to see this become a hit, even a small one, on here.

everything sucks is in the top 15, which is pretty cool. I still like the song.

Memory's at #13 now, which is nice to see.

For whatever reason, traitor is down to #11 this week, which I really don't get. Maybe it won't hit #1.

Saturday found its way back into the top 5, which is great. #Saturdayfornumberonenextweek

And finally, we lost four songs this week (not counting Love Tonight), Way 2 Sexy, Hurricane, People Watching and Skate. Way 2 Sexy was awful, so I'm very glad that it seems to be gone for good. Hurricane was great, so I'm honestly pretty sad that it never really got a run here. People Watching was fine, but extremely forgettable, so I don't care that it's gone. As for Skate, it should've been a much bigger song than it was, and I don't get why it flopped.

How Hits 1 Songs Are Doing on the Hot 100
#1: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber
#2: Way 2 Sexy - Drake/Future/Young Thug
#3: Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran
#5: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes
#6: INDUSTRY BABY - Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow
#7: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
#8: Kiss Me More - Doja Cat/SZA
#9: Levitating - Dua Lipa
#10: Girls Want Girls - Drake/Lil Baby
#12: Save Your Tears (Remix) - The Weeknd/Ariana Grande
#13: MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - Lil Nas X
#14: Butter - BTS
#15: Heat Waves - Glass Animals
#16: Shivers - Ed Sheeran
#17: Essence - WizKid/Justin Bieber/Tems
#18: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd
#20: deja vu - Olivia Rodrigo
#21: Need To Know - Doja Cat
#23: Take My Breath - The Weeknd
#26: Hurricane - Kanye West
#30: Beggin' - Måneskin
#31: Leave The Door Open - Silk Sonic
#32: Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers
#36: Happier Than Ever - Billie Eilish
#37: traitor - Olivia Rodrigo
#40: Peaches - Justin Bieber/Daniel Caesar/Giveon
#42: Arcade - Duncan Laurence
#44: Rumors - Lizzo/Cardi B
#46: A-O-K - Tai Verdes
#48: Thot S*** - Megan Thee Stallion
#49: Late At Night - Roddy Ricch
#55: Love Again - Dua Lipa
#59: Wild Side - Normani/Cardi B
#64: Meet Me At Our Spot - THE ANXIETY
#67: Woman - Doja Cat
#71: Skate - Silk Sonic
#81: Memory - Kane Brown/blackbear
#85: Get Into It (Yuh) - Doja Cat
#88: Don't Go Yet - Camila Cabello
#93: Summer of Love - Shawn Mendes/Tainy
#98: Cold Heart (Remix) - Elton John/Dua Lipa/PNAU

Top 10 on the Hunger Games Countdown
#10: Saturday - Twenty One Pilots
#9: Permission to Dance - BTS
#8: til the end of time - almost monday
#7: Lifestyle - Jason Derulo/Adam Levine
#6: jump - Against The Current
#5: everything sucks - vaultboy
#4: Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers
#3: Girls Want Girls - Drake/Lil Baby
#2: Change My Clothes - Dream/Alec Benjamin
#1: NDA - Billie Eilish

Top 10 If the Countdown Made Sense
#10: Arcade - Duncan Laurence
#9: Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello/Jonas Brothers
#8: Love Again - Dua Lipa
#7: Beggin' - Måneskin
#6: Take My Breath - The Weeknd
#5: You Right - Doja Cat/The Weeknd
#4: INDUSTRY BABY - Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow
#3: Bad Habits - Ed Sheeran
#2: good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
#1: STAY - The Kid LAROI/Justin Bieber

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

42 comments:

  1. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    26: Psycho
    25: HIT IT
    24: Heartbreak Anniversary
    19: Shivers
    14: Ghost
    12: My Universe
    1: Love Tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog just hit 500 pageviews. I didn’t expect to get so many so quick. Thank you guys if you look at my blog and thank you all for welcoming me into this community. I’m so excited to continue doing more posts and countdown reviews every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paralyzed, That's What I Want, and I Feel Good are all playing!!! (Or at least played once)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    26: Psycho
    26: Heartbreak Anniversary
    25: HIT IT
    20: Shivers
    17: My Universe
    15: Ghost
    4: Love Tonight
    4: Paralyzed
    3: I Feel Good
    1: THATS WHAT I WANT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is Build A B playing again 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recommendations for Hits 1:
    Billie Eilish - Bored
    Doja Cat - Ain't Ish
    Wale/Chris Brown - Angles
    Farruko - Pepas
    JVKE - this is what falling in love feels like
    Witt Lowry/Ava Max - Into Your Arms
    Jason Derulo - Acapulco
    YoungBoy Never Broke Again - Bad Morning
    Gunna/Future - Too Easy
    Olivia Rodrigo - happier
    Halsey - honey
    Sam Smith - Like I Can (As a Re-entry)
    Joel Corry & Jax Jones/Charli XCX/Saweetie - OUT OUT
    Yes to all of the songs!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    27: Shivers
    25: HIT IT
    23: Psycho
    22: Heartbreak Anniversary
    21: My Universe
    16: Ghost
    7: I Feel Good
    6: Paralyzed
    6: Love Tonight
    4: THATS WHAT I WANT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    34: Shivers
    26: My Universe
    23: HIT IT
    19: Psycho
    18: Ghost
    14: Heartbreak Anniversary
    12: Love Tonight
    10: Paralyzed
    9: I Feel Good
    6: THATS WHAT I WANT

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recommendations for Hits 1:
    Billie Eilish - Bored
    Doja Cat - Ain't Ish
    Wale/Chris Brown - Angles
    Farruko - Pepas
    JVKE - this is what falling in love feels like
    Witt Lowry/Ava Max - Into Your Arms
    Jason Derulo - Acapulco
    YoungBoy Never Broke Again - Bad Morning
    Gunna/Future - Too Easy
    Olivia Rodrigo - happier
    Halsey - honey
    Sam Smith - Like I Can (As a Re-entry)
    Joel Corry & Jax Jones/Charli XCX/Saweetie - OUT OUT
    Skylar Grey/Polo G/Mozzy/Eminem - Last One Standing
    LISA - MONEY
    Oliver Tree - Life Goes On
    Latto - Big Energy
    Lyn Lapid - In My Mind
    Andy Grammer - Damn It Feels Good to Be Me
    KAROL G - Sejodioto
    Drake - Champagne Poetry
    Bee Gees/SG Lewis - More Than a Woman
    Yes to all of the songs!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hit-Bound Spin Counts:
    41: Shivers
    30: My Universe
    22: HIT IT
    21: Ghost
    19: Love Tonight
    15: Paralyzed
    14: I Feel Good
    13: Psycho
    12: Heartbreak Anniversary
    9: THATS WHAT I WANT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hit-Bound List

    Troye Sivan - Angel Baby
    Sueco - Paralyzed
    MONSTA X - One Day
    Ckay - Love Nwantiti (DEBUT)
    Tiesto/Karol G - Don't Be Shy
    Daisy The Great/AJR - Record Player
    Giveon - For Tonight
    Cheat Codes/Grey/Tyson Ritter - Hurricane (DEBUT)
    BBNO$/Rich Brian - Edamame
    Nessa Barrett - I Hope Ur Miserable Until Ur Dead
    The Anxiety - Meet Me At Our Spot
    Madison Beer - Reckless
    Trevor Daniel - Alone
    Mimi Webb - 24/5 (DEBUT)
    Doja Cat - Get Into It (Yuh)
    Coldplay/BTS - My Universe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exits:
    Memory (oof)
    Essence
    You
    Rumors (IM NOT JOKING THIS IS NOT A DRILL)
    Don't Go Yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's What I Want at #28!!! Let's goooo

    ReplyDelete
  15. There was a glitch where That's What I Want transitioned into Who's In Your Head, but in the middle of the song-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Instead of Harry Styles Falling, they played Why Don't We's Fallin AHSGASHGASGJASGHJAGSHAGDHSGJDGHSJDGSJHDGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. The artists who had number one (not the featured artists) in 2020 and 2021 this song had a couple songs together

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)