Saturday, June 11, 2022

Chart Check-in: May 2022 - Harry Styles

Welp, needless to say, things haven't quite gone according to plan, but I thought I'd still take the time to do my May check-in. I'll kinda go through how this is gonna work, but basically it's just a pretty quick rundown of everything that happened on the Countdown in May. Let's kick it off with the songs that debuted in May.

Debuts
Cooped Up - Post Malone/Roddy Ricch
Flowers - Lauren Spencer-Smith
Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga
Honest - Justin Bieber/Don Toliver
Love Me More - Sam Smith
Maybe You're The Problem - Ava Max
Me Myself & I - 5 Seconds of Summer
Move - DNCE
Skyline - Khalid
SUPERMODEL - Måneskin

  • Ok, so Cooped Up isn't the best Post Malone song, but it's nice and chill and it's always great to have Roddy back on radio.
  • I really didn't expect Flowers to debut, but here we are I guess. Can't say I'm complaining, it's a great song. A little confused though, and I don't see this lasting very long.
  • Hold My Hand is definitely a movie song. It's also definitely a Lady Gaga song. Overall, pretty great, and I'd love to see this be a hit.
  • Honest is so bad. Nothing really works here, except for Don Toliver, I guess. Overall just a very weird song.
  • I expected Love Me More to debut, but I don't see it doing too well given it's kind of slow. Good song though.
  • I'm SO HAPPY to see Maybe You're The Problem here so quickly. It's such a fun song, and I'd love to see it do well here.
  • OK GUYS. Me Myself & I IS THE BEST 5SOS SONG I'VE EVER HEARD. SERIOUSLY, IT'S SO GOOD. EVERYONE HERE SOUNDS GREAT AND IT'S CATCHY AND THE INSTRUMENTATION IS GREAT AGHHHHHH. I WANT THIS TO BE A HIT SO BAD.
  • Move is fine. It's fun, but not too memorable in the long run.
  • I've been enjoying Skyline lately, so I'm glad it's here.
  • Also, Måneskin is back and SUPERMODEL is easily the best song from them so far. So much fun, great instrumentation, just a masterpiece. I'd love to see this become a hit too.
Best Debut of the Month: SUPERMODEL - Måneskin (very close tho)

Ok next up is every song that left (without re-entering) this month.

Exits
Big Energy - Latto [#7] {15 weeks}
Fingers Crossed - Lauren Spencer-Smith [#10] {15 weeks}
Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga [#28] {1 week}
House On Fire - Mimi Webb [#15] {9 weeks}
IDGAF - BoyWithUke/blackbear [#25] {5 weeks}
Light Switch - Charlie Puth [1 week at #1] {15 weeks}
Overpass Graffiti - Ed Sheeran [5 weeks at #1] {24 weeks}
The Motto - Tiësto/Ava Max [#4] {14 weeks}
Weatherman - Eddie Benjamin [#18] {11 weeks}
Woman - Doja Cat [#12] {16 weeks}

  • Ugh, I can't believe Big Energy flopped as much as it did here. It was such a big hit, and such a great song, and Hits 1 didn't treat it well enough.
  • Fingers Crossed was good, but ultimately got a little annoying, so I'm not sad that it's gone.
  • Pffsh, Hold My Hand only spent a week on the Countdown. Something tells me it'll be back though.
  • Ok I could've sworn that House On Fire left way before it did. Not saying that it's a bad song, I love it, just not all that memorable.
  • IDGAF should've done so much better, it was so good.
  • I'm pretty satisfied with how Light Switch did here. Great song, and was treated as such.
  • I really didn't expect Overpass Graffiti to grow on me as much as it did, to the point where I was a little sad when it left, even though it spent much too long here.
  • I also got a little bored with The Motto, and it did quite well, so I'm not sad to see it go.
  • Weatherman was trash, and should've left a long time ago.
  • Woman should've done so much better what the hell.
Now is the part where I give the award for "Song That Will Be Missed the Most" (title is a work in progress). And this month, it goes to Big Energy by Latto. Seriously, this was done dirty here.

Here are the top 10 songs on Hits 1 of the month based on chart performance.

Top 10 Hits 1 Songs from May 2022
#10: Bam Bam - Camila Cabello/Ed Sheeran [#9]
#9: COMPLETE MESS - 5 Seconds of Summer [#6]
#8: When You're Gone - Shawn Mendes [#8]
#7: 2step - Ed Sheeran/Lil Baby [#6]
#6: Enemy - Imagine Dragons/JID [#1]
#5: she's all i wanna be - Tate McRae [#5]
#4: Numb Little Bug - Em Beihold [#3]
#3: Boyfriend - Dove Cameron [#2]
#2: Sweetest Pie - Megan Thee Stallion/Dua Lipa [#2]
#1: As It Was - Harry Styles [#1]

  • Bam Bam is pretty good, so I'm glad to see it in the top 10 now.
  • COMPLETE MESS really faded on me, so I'm glad to see it starting to go.
  • I'm very happy to see When You're Gone doing somewhat well, because it's a great song.
  • I'm unsure why 2step hasn't entered the top five yet, considering it's Ed Sheeran, and it's probably the best = song.
  • Enemy has started to drop a ton, and while I'm sad, because I still love the song, it did much better here than I expected it to, so I'm satisfied.
  • Ayy, she's all i wanna be finally entered the top five! Let's go!
  • I got very scared that Numb Little Bug was gonna fall quickly, but it seems to have rebounded, so fingers crossed that it'll manage to hit #1.
  • I don't think Boyfriend deserves #3 of the month, but whatever.
  • Sweetest Pie got so annoying. I'm sorry, I just don't really like it anymore.
  • It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that As It Was is the #1 of the month. It's a solid song, though, so I'm not complaining. I listened to Harry's House too, and it was actually a pretty great little album. I wasn't expecting that at all, and I'm so glad it was.
Next is all the Hit-Bound debuts (that I haven't already talked about) from May.

Hit-Bound Debuts
100sadsongs - Tai Verdes
Best Lover - BIBI
don't come back - Tate McRae
Dope - John Legend/JID
Dua Lipa - Jack Harlow
gfy - blackbear/Machine Gun Kelly
Hope You're Not Happy - Ashe
I Love U - The Chainsmokers
In The Stars - Benson Boone
Late Night Talking - Harry Styles
MEAN! - Madeline The Person
No One Dies From Love - Tove Lo
Overthinking - Mabel/24kGoldn
P.G.N.L. - Conor Maynard
Potion - Calvin Harris/Dua Lipa/Young Thug
This Love (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift
Too Precious - Em Beihold
Until I Found You - Stephen Sanchez
what would you do? - Tate McRae
Wild - Dixie
Will It Ever Feel The Same? - Bazzi

  • 100sadsongs is solid, but not too memorable.
  • Best Lover isn't nearly as good as The Weekend, but it's still good, so I'll take it.
  • I've really been enjoying Tate McRae's new stuff, and don't come back is a great little bop.
  • A John Legend and JID song called Dope is something I never knew I needed in my life. Great song.
  • Apparently Jack Harlow made a song called Dua Lipa. And it's... fine? I mean, it's Jack Harlow, it can't really be that great or that bad.
  • gfy is yet another blackbear / MGK collaboration, and I don't even care, it's great.
  • I've never been a fan of Ashe and Hope You're Not Happy did not change my opinion at all.
  • I Love U isn't memorable at all, but it's pretty good.
  • In The Stars is so sad what. I didn't need to feel that on a random Friday night.
  • Late Night Talking is a BOP and I don't care what you say.
  • This song, MEAN! really bothers me because it had so much potential when I first starting listening to it, but it ended up being really underwhelming.
  • No One Dies From Love is really weird and it sucks.
  • Overthinking is good, but I don't know, something about it just isn't enough to make it great
  • P.G.N.L. is a super chill song, 8/10.
  • Same issue with Overthinking applies to Potion.
  • It was very weird having This Love here for a bit, because it's a song that I actually have memories attached to. It was weird to see a song I've been with for so long be on a new music show.
  • Too Precious isn't nearly as good as Numb Little Bug, but it's still a very solid song.
  • Ew, who is Stephen Sanchez and why does his song suck so much. Very slow and the vocal effects are bad.
  • I'm sad that what would you do? got replaced, because it was SO GOOD. So much fun, I loved it.
  • Wild is pretty great, actually. Dammit, Dixie, stop making me like your songs.
  • Will It Ever Feel The Same? exists, I guess.
Best Hit-Bound Debut of the Month: Late Night Talking - Harry Styles

Next, the Hit-Bound exits.

Hit-Bound Exits
Dope - John Legend/JID
Dua Lipa - Jack Harlow
Hope You're Not Happy - Ashe
I Love U - The Chainsmokers
In The Stars - Benson Boone
That's Hilarious - Charlie Puth
this is what falling in love feels like - JVKE
This Love (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift
what would you do? - Tate McRae
Where you are - PinkPantheress/WILLOW
Words - Alesso/Zara Larsson

  • Ugh, Dope should've lasted for more than a week, it was so fun.
  • Dua Lipa was just kinda there, so I'm not sad it's gone.
  • Glad to see Hope You're Not Happy didn't last.
  • I think I Love U was in the Abyss for a bit, so it might not be gone, idk.
  • I wish In The Stars had done better, it was so good.
  • That's Hilarious had actually started to grow on me a bit, so I'm sad to see it go.
  • why is this is what falling in love feels like in the Abyss? Come on, it's not good.
  • Ok, yeah, This Love is good, but it would've been weird to have it on the Countdown.
  • I said this earlier, but what would you do? shouldn't have been replaced.
  • Where you are was pretty bad, so I don't care that it's gone.
  • Oh yeah, Words exists.
Best Hit-Bound Exit of the Month: what would you do? - Tate McRae

So yeah! That's about it. I promise that my last Year-End post is coming, and the announcement I was talking about will come with it, and if not, at least before I leave for a month in July. Anyways, if you want to ask me anything about May, feel free, I'll try to respond lmao. And if you want the exact Countdown from each week in May, make sure you check out the "Weekend Countdown" tab above. That's where I've been posting the Countdown recently.

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

35 comments:

  1. What is your opinion on Jiggle Jiggle by Duke & Jones / Louis Theroux?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I have a new blog btw you should go check it out plus the Harry's house review

      Delete
    2. I should hate it. It would only make sense. But somehow, I don't know, man. I can't not love it. I'm a bit of a sucker for british rap, so that certainly doesn't help, plus the song is just so much fun. 9/10

      Delete
    3. Also it's funny how it CRUSHED the record for shortest Countdown song ever.

      Delete
  2. This one isn't on Hits 1 but how do you like Wonderland by AleXa? (it won American Song Contest)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very solid song, but not all too memorable imo. I still enjoy it though.

      Delete
  3. https://hrishkmusic.blogspot.com/
    You should check my blog out if you haven't already. The best post by far is the review on Harry's House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo welcome back man, haven’t heard from you in a while. Gotta ask you a few questions and update you on what’s going on here,

    First off, I gotta say that I laughed at some of these reviews pretty much anything in the Hitbound debuts that was below the review for I Love U. The ones that got me the most though were In the stars, Late night talking, Potion, Until I found you and Will it ever feel the same. Thanks for making me chuckle a bit with them.

    What is your opinion on Music for a sushi restaurant?

    I recently hit 10,000 pageviews on my blog, so thank you very much for being my inspiration to do this.

    Waffle says I’m doing a great job at updating spin counts, so thank you for showing me that, as I thought I’d get really confused with it,

    Have you checked out my review for So Far So Good yet? If not you should definitely check it out.

    Have you heard any other songs off So Far So Good, if so which ones and what diid you think of them?

    If you used to look at my personal charts over here, I’ve unfortunately decided to discontinue posting them here, as I just don’t have the time anymore, but they’re still on CrownNote my username is Rockstar Trey.

    I also wanted to let you know that I had to replace your entries on Summer Madness, since I didn’t know if you’d be able to have time to do it, and since second one else offered to play in honor of you.

    Last but most certainly not least.











    Will you ever join the hits 1 Discord.


    Thanks.
    Trey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. MFASR is one of my favourites from the album, just incredible bop all around, perfect song to kick off the album. I can see it being a fantastic tour opener.
      2. That's incredible! Happy for you bro. I've been reading some of your stuff, and it's great to see what you're doing over there. You have some insane potential.
      3. Haha yeah it definitely seems intimidating. I'm not sure why I did it every day, though, I really didn't need to do that.
      4. I haven't yet, but I didn't mind any of the singles from it, so I might. I'll update you on that one.
      5. ^
      6. Cool.
      7. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I left a reply there using my phone so it didn't show up as me XD. Totally fine, I fully get it, I'm actually fully in support of that decision because I probably wouldn't have participated too much, and it made room for a new member, so that makes me really happy.
      8. Very solid maybe. If I do though, I can't promise that I'll be active whatsoever on it because I'm bad at social media.

      Delete
    2. Beluga, you need to join the Discord! You don't need to be good at social media, I'm not great at it either. It's just a place to chill and hang out and talk.

      Delete
  5. Hey are you going to my rankdown? I have extended the due date for submissions until June 20 because I'm still waiting on a few submissions. Here's the link for the form: https://forms.gle/h1hXY8pnuoesSNNY6

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Beluga where have you been I am not going to see you guys I am going to Camp Loyaltown, but I will be back to see you guys once I come back from Camp Loyaltown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bye Chase! I hope your camp mates swear too! (A joke)

      Delete
  7. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Joji - Glimpse of Us

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! If you do a Q&A sometime soon I have a few questions for you:

    1. What is your least favorite song from Harry's House?
    2. What are your expectations for the BEP/Shakira/David Guetta song coming out soon?

    And most importantly...

    3. When will you start working on the Country Stuff: The Album by Walker Hayes review?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just thought I'd let you know since I remember you hate Girl Like Me by The Black Eyed Peas and Shakira from last year, The Black Eyed Peas and Shakira are collaborating on a song called Don't You Worry, and it drops this Friday. But this time, it also features David Guetta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hold up devil doesn't bargain just got a spin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol say all this on Treys Blog unless you have a question for beluga

      Delete
  11. House on fire just played. Hopefully it can re-enter this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hippo just revealed the first 12 songs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://bunnyfunny382929.blogspot.com/2022/06/2022-hits-1-olympics.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beluga, I have a couple questions for you.

    1. What did you think about i used to think i could fly?
    2. What did you think about Twelve Carat Toothache?
    3. I'm basically reviving the Weekend Countdown Olympics, can i use some of the old events?

    If i think of anything else I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't listened to either album, but I might.
      3. Hell yeah, go for it.

      Delete
    2. Do you want to do the event? You don't have to.

      Delete
  15. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: MoKenStef - He's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is viral ansd was released in 1995 but Tiktok brought back in 2022

      Delete
  16. Guys this is my new profile photo hip hop for

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chase please stop spamming on Beluga's blog. Instead go to https://hrishkmusic.blogspot.com/2022/06/harry-styles-5-week-of-62522.html if you want since I will be active a lot and Beluga won't. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)