Wednesday, January 12, 2022

My Bottom 10 Songs of 2021

Hi, all! Welcome to my second Year-End post, My Bottom 10 Songs of 2021! I generally like pop music, and you'll find a good chunk of songs in the "great" tier on my blog, but that definitely doesn't mean that I don't have songs I hate. Today is a celebration of that, as I get to tear ten songs to shreds. Here's the criteria for which songs are eligible. I'm adding something new, so make sure you read the criteria.

1. Hit the Weekend Countdown for at least one week in 2021.
2. Reached Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 songs.
3. Spent at least one week on Billboard's Pop Songs chart in 2021.

Yeah, I was paying a lot more attention to the Pop Songs chart this year, so I thought I'd add it in. Anyways, before we get to the ten, here are some dishonourable mentions.

Golden - Harry Styles

While this definitely isn't my least favourite Harry Styles song, (*cough*Adore You*cough*) it's far from good. The "DAHDAHDAHDAH" part is super annoying, and the song overall is just super uninteresting. It also doesn't help that it hit #1 on the Countdown for four weeks.

Cold Heart (Remix) - Elton John/Dua Lipa/PNAU

I find this song slightly less awful than I did when it first debuted, but I still don't like Elton John's voice, and the production is really bad. I'm really glad that Dua Lipa's on here, because that saves it from being too terrible.

Build a B**** - Bella Poarch

Okay, don't get me wrong, the writing in this song is pretty great. It gives off a great message that's awesome to hear on pop radio. But the production is so weird. It's really messy, and has way too much going on in it. It really ruins the song.

Streets - Doja Cat

Yeah, so before the Planet Her singles started to come out, TikTok grabbed this song and ran. The Hot Pink singles were pretty hit-and-miss for me, I really liked Like That, but I can't stand Say So and this song. This song goes for a more R&B vibe, which just really isn't my thing. The rapping verse is good, but that's about it.

oops! - Yung Gravy

Yeah, this song is just super stupid. It's got some awful lyrics, annoying vocals and bad production. The only thing that prevented this from making the list proper was that I've only heard it a grand total of three times. So...

Need to Know - Doja Cat

I didn't hate this song initially, but it's gotten stupid annoying now. I find Doja's voice annoying here, and the production isn't great either. It's had stupid longevity here, and I wish it had stayed a promotional single instead of TikTok making it the hit it is today.

NDA - Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish released a few really bad singles this year, with this song being one of them. My main issue with this one was that the production was just weird. Plus, Billie's singing really quietly here, and it just doesn't work at all.

Alright! That's it for the dishonourable mentions, so now we're jumping into my Bottom 10 Songs of 2021! Now, I've definitely come around to Drake these past few years. So when I saw that he had a new single with Future and Young Thug, I was decently excited to hear what it sounded like... boy, was I disappointed.

#10: Way 2 Sexy - Drake/Future/Young Thug
















So before we get into anything, why is this song over four minutes long? There was no need for this to be so ridiculously long. Anyways, this song samples one of the worst songs of all time, I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred. Then, on top of that, you've got a really annoying Future hook. The production is pretty basic too, and adds almost nothing to the song. Both Future and Young Thug sound bad in their verses, and even though Drake's verse is alright, it's too forgettable to save this song at all. I honestly would've rather had Girls Want Girls stay as the single instead of this replacing it. I'm not sure why this was the #1 single that came out of Certified Lover Boy (which I have no interest of listening to, by the way), because it's terrible. I'm glad it flopped somewhat on the Countdown.

In 2020, Megan Thee Stallion scored a huge hit with her song Savage, which was an awesome song. It was really fun, and Megan brought tons of energy to it. She kicked 2021 off with this song, which was... significantly worse than Savage.

#9: Body - Megan Thee Stallion
















Yeah, so my main issue with this song is the hook. It's, and I swear I'm not over-exaggerating here, the word "body" 47 times. Yeah, it's not something that's particularly interesting to listen to. I'll give Megan this, the song's a little fun, and her flow in the verses is good. But I just cannot listen to that hook anymore, it's way too annoying. Plus, the production is... y'know what? I'm not even gonna tell you to keep this blog family-friendly. If you wanna know, just listen to the song, or go find one of Waffle's reviews on it. Yeah, this song wasn't good at all, and I'm beyond happy that it dropped out of Hit-Bound.

Now, I didn't like most of the singles from Billie Eilish's new album Happier Than Ever. But this next song has got to be the worst one, and I'm not even sure that's disputable. Okay, wait... no, never mind, some people really hate the title track *cough*you know who you are*cough*. Yeah, scratch that. It's the most boring Happier Than Ever single. There we go.

#8: Your Power - Billie Eilish
















Yeah, so, obviously, the main, glaring problem with this song is that it's stupidly boring. The production is essentially nothing more than guitar chords. It's pretty bare-bones, and while there are some artists that can sell that pretty well, Billie isn't one of them. Especially with all the vocal effects at play here. Plus, the melody isn't even that good compared to songs like Male Fantasy, when the party's over or everything i wanted. The only thing that I can praise this song for is the writing. But, this wasn't a good radio song at all, and I'm pretty glad that it flopped somewhat.

Next up is a song that was on pop radio for a bit that Hits 1 never touched, and I'm very happy with that, because boy, was it awful...

#7: GIRL LIKE ME - Black Eyed Peas/Shakira
















Yeah, so like the previous song had one huge problem with it that made it awful, so does this one. This song's problem is its hook. I've never been a huge fan of Shakira, but boy oh boy I have never heard her be more ridiculously annoying than she is in this hook. She goes "AAAAAHHHHHHH YOU'RE LOOKING FOOOR A GIIIIRL LIKE MEEEEEE" and it sounds terrible. Like, honestly, I cannot stress enough how annoying this hook is. It's easily the worst hook I've ever heard, and I literally cringe every time I hear it. Oh, yeah, and the rest of the song exists. It's pretty much just a mediocre latino Black Eyed Peas song. It also feels three times longer than it actually is.

I've generally liked Justin Bieber's singles recently, but the week he released his new album, Justice, he started pushing this next song as a single... and wow, it is by far the worst Bieber song I've ever heard.

#6: Peaches - Justin Bieber/Daniel Caesar/Giveon
















Why is this song so catchy? I honestly get why it was a hit, which somehow makes that fact even more infuriating. People just cared more about the catchy hook to actually realize just how messy this song is. The entire song aside from the hook sounds improvised, the production is mediocre at best, and Justin Bieber sounds extremely annoying in the hook. Plus, the hook itself is annoying. It honestly feels like Justin just had a half-finished song, so he sent it to two random people he found off the street (Giveon wasn't really a thing when this released) and told them they could have verses if they could think of the melody. I'm glad this was a blaze-of-glory song, where it started really well, but fizzled out pretty quickly.

Anyone ask for a four-minute long, haunting, EDM song to become a pop hit? No? Well, here you go anyways.

#5: Love Tonight - Shouse
















Honestly, I think the question I'm asking myself more than why did this become a pop hit is why did this exist in the first place? This is a four-minute long (eight-minute long if it's not the radio edit), haunting, repetitive, EDM song with the occasional saxophone and mediocre vocals. Everything about it screams, "I AM AN AWFUL SONG", and I genuinely wish I had never heard it before. I question literally every choice made here, and why somebody looked at all that and said, "yeah, those are good choices". I really don't want to hear this song ever again.

Next up is a song that only spent one week on the Weekend Countdown, but it was still enough to make it eligible for this list. And honestly, I'm glad it did debut, because it deserves to be here.

#4: deep end - Fousheé
















Yeah, so this song first appeared as the sample in Deep End Freestyle by Sleepy Hollow, which was... mediocre, but unfortunately, the full song is so much worse. Fousheé just has this really weird, scratchy voice, which sounds especially bad in the pre-chorus, when she tries to go really high. The production isn't interesting whatsoever either, and the melodies are annoying. Overall, this is just a really awful song that also didn't need to exist. I'm glad it didn't have longevity on Hits 1.

Next up is my least favourite Hit-Bound dropout of the year, and unfortunately, it just so happened to be a small pop hit.

#3: The Business - Tiësto
















This song would be fine. It's super catchy, the dark production's kinda cool, and the verses are decently interesting. But why was the decision made to lower the pitch of this guy's voice so much? It's such a small, preventable mistake, but it completely ruins the song. It so damn annoying, that the whole song becomes unlistenable. It doesn't add to the atmosphere of the song, it definitely doesn't sound good, and it shouldn't be here. I have no clue why Tiësto made the decision that he did, but I really wish that he hadn't.

Well, folks... my top two are from the same artist. I've never been a fan of country music, in my opinion, it's one of the worst mainstream genres of music, but this guy took that hatred and brought it to a whole new level. I present to you all... Walker Hayes.

#2: U Gurl - Walker Hayes
















Yeah, so there's one big reason that I didn't end up giving this song the #1 spot, and I'll get to that later, but for now, I just want to convey to all of you the awfulness that is this song. In case you haven't been reading my Weekend Countdown posts recently, I've currently got this song in the new tier of "Possibly the Worst Song I've Ever Heard". For starters, this song isn't pop. It's not country. It's some awful mix that brings the two genres to a whole new, awful, level. It's got this terrible, thumping bass that just sounds horrendous, and Walker Hayes' voice is bad and drenched in this weird effect. The chorus is extremely obnoxious, and really annoying. Plus, the lyrics. Just keep in mind that this song was written by a 40 year-old man talking about his wife when you listen to the song. Not that it would be much better if it was anyone else, because the lyrics are just disgustingly objectifying. Yeah, this song is, indeed, possibly the worst song I've ever heard, but there's one reason that it's not my #1.

Simply because it didn't blow up like this next one did.

#1: Fancy Like - Walker Hayes
















Everytime I hear that intro, I cannot stop myself from immediately groaning out loud. Why the hell was this song so popular? Nothing about it is good (Well, I mean, at least it's an actual country song, but that definitely doesn't make it good). That guitar riff is extremely annoying, Walker Hayes sounds kinda whiny here, and every part of the melody is annoying. Plus, the lyrics are stupid. It's talking about how he's all "fancy" when he goes to Applebee's on a date night, and other stuff like that. This is why TikTok can be awful sometimes. Why did it have to make this song blow up like it did? I mean, this song hit #5 on the Weekend Countdown. That's just unforgivable, honestly. For every Lil Nas X and Lizzo that TikTok gives us, unfortunately, it has to give us a Walker Hayes, too, which is honestly just sad. I mean, do people even like this song? Or do they just listen to it because it's a trendy song? I'll never understand TikTok as long as it keeps bringing us songs like this. This song should not have been as popular as it was, and I cannot stress that enough. I want this song to go away and never come back, because I am so completely and utterly done with it. Yeah, this is worse than Heather. Yeah, this is worse than (checks what my worst song of 2019 was because I forgot) 7 rings? Geez, I actually don't mind that song anymore. (checks what my new #1 was in the Ultimate Rank) Nightmare. Yeah, it's worse than Nightmare. Screw this song.

Well, I hope you guys had fun reading this. I definitely had fun channeling my inner Waffle for those last two reviews. Next up: Hits 1's Top 30 Songs of 2021! (mainly bc I haven't started assembling my best list yet, so... yeah, that one may take a while). But while you're waiting, make sure you check out the Hit-Bound Dropouts Rankdown, because reveals have started!

Kwaheri, everybody! See you all in the next one.

32 comments:

  1. LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also face a new wave of Walker Hayes. AA is getting popular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That moment I realized that The Business is Yoir least favorite Hitbound dropout and it’s My favorite honestly kinda made Me laugh for some reason. I kinda can’t wait to see where that ends up on the rankdown because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list and nice post! While I do enjoy #9 and #10, they’re the kind of songs that I completely understand why someone else might not, and I’ve never even heard Girl Like Me before in full, and I don’t think I ever want to lol. I’ve only heard a snippet and that was enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I would personally rank the songs on the list:

    Bad
    None!

    Mediocre
    10. Your Power
    9. Love Tonight

    Decent
    8. Deep End (Started off mediocre, but I slightly grew into it after Foushee did that collab with Lil Wayne called "Ain't Got Time)

    Good
    7. Body

    Great
    6. Fancy Like
    5. Peaches
    4. U Gurl (Yeah, I'm the only one here that likes that song)
    3. Girl Like Me
    2. Way 2 Sexy

    Bonus: Favorite/ Most streamed song of 2021
    1. The Business

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hit-Bound/Abyss Spin Counts:
    53: WYD Now?
    27: love nwantiti
    22: The Outside
    18: Have Mercy
    17: Sacrifice
    17: Dynamite
    17: Let's go to Hell
    14: I Hate U
    14: edamame
    11: It'll Be Okay
    10: Life Goes On
    8: Woman

    ReplyDelete
  7. AA also sucks, but it's better than U Gurl though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hit-Bound/Abyss Spin Counts:
    62: WYD Now?
    27: love nwantiti
    21: Have Mercy
    19: I Hate U
    17: The Outside
    14: edamame
    13: It'll Be Okay
    13: Sacrifice
    11: Life Goes On
    10: Let's go to Hell
    9: Woman
    2: Fingers Crossed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recommendations for SiriusXM Hits 1:
    VALORANT & Grabbitz - Die for You
    K'NAAN/Adam Levine - Bang Bang
    Troye Sivan - Angel Baby (as a re-entry)
    Doja Cat - Get Into it (Yuh) (as a re-entry)
    Walker Hayes - AA
    Summer Walker & SZA - No Love
    Jessie Murph - Always Been You
    Justin Bieber - Favorite Girl
    The Neighbourhood - Softcore
    Ylona Garcia - Entertain Me
    Jenna Raine - see you later (ten years)
    Rod Stewart/DNCE - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy
    Meghan Thee Stallion - Megan's Piano
    Måneskin - I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE
    Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Infinity is on HitBound
    LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    same with lDoE
    YESSSSSSSSS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently record player re-entered
    I'm happy it's back
    wooo

    ReplyDelete
  12. i thought bite me still sunday bested but liwyhm (love it when you hate me) ft blackbear by avril debuted

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another old tiktok song made it to Hitbound (I love you so)
    I'm fine with it here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hit-Bound

    Gryffin/Jason Ross/Calle Lehmann - After You
    Tai Verdes - Last Day on Earth (DEBUT)
    Emmy Mai - I Am Woman
    Sadie Jean - WYD Now (1TW)
    The Weeknd - Sacrifice
    Benson Boone - Ghost Town
    Jaymes Young - Infinity (DEBUT)
    Fireboy DML/Ed Sheeran - Peru
    Daisy the Great/AJR - Record Player (RE-ENTRY)
    Lauren Spencer-Smith - Fingers Crossed (DEBUT)
    Imagine Dragons - Enemy
    88rising/BIBI - The Weekend
    Avril Lavigne/blackbear - Love it When You Hate Me (DEBUT)
    Maren Morris - Circles Around This Town (DEBUT)
    Latto - Big Energy
    The Walters - I Love You So (DEBUT)

    Countdown Debuts/Exits

    Shawn Mendes - It'll Be Okay
    Doja Cat - Woman
    24kGoldn - More Than Friends
    Monsta X - You Problem
    SZA - I Hate U
    Chloe - Have Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Exits:
    Traitor
    Male Fantasy
    Sad Girlz Luv Money

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spyder shouted Me out right before Ghost let’s goooooo. I’ve been trying to get him to do it for 3 months now, and it’s finally happened.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hit-Bound/Abyss Spin Counts:
    27: love nwantiti
    25: SAD GIRLZ LUV MONEY
    24: Sacrifice
    21: Have Mercy
    15: Life Goes On
    14: edamame
    13: It'll Be Okay
    10: The Outside
    5: Fingers Crossed

    ReplyDelete

My Most Bestest Posts (What People Read. A Lot.)